Mein Gott! A WW2 German FPS?

In reference to the earlier "OMFG WE ARE CELEBRATING NAZIS!" rants ealier, those exact same accusations are made against German WWII reinactment groups. They persist besides the fact that most groups include collectors and reenactors who do so for multiple sides and because of the critisism are hyper sensative to even the hint that a member is an actual Nazi sympathizer. You probably won't find more outspoken anti nazi/racism people anywhere else.

Actualy I ran into some WWII reinactors over in Gettysburg about two years ago, and they said that they do run into some of the Nazi-types on occasion, but usually they "take care" of that kind of attitude among themselves in the back parking lot, if you know what I mean.... :trouble:

Like I said, I guess that if you look at is as historical reinactment and/or a digital version of paintball and/or airsoft, then it's okay.....

Another thing mentioned about Red Orchestra that I like (and would like to see more of in a MP FPS type game) is the fact that 9/10 players will be riflemen, with only a few armed with SMG's or other weapons....

One of the most annoying things about playing DoD was that all the Germans were armed with either (a) the Sturmgewehr 44, (b) the SNIPER version of the K-98 or (c) the MP-33.... Same with the American side... Everybody seemed to want to be Snipers, Heavy Infantry (armed with BAR's), or packing Tommy Guns.... I got tired of being the only guy with a M1..... (although the M1 was one of my favorite guns.... You could easily drop a guy with just one or two shots center-mass, and the alt attack, in close quarters was smashing them over the head with the butt of your gun)...

Even worse, all those people running around with anti-tank weapons in an infantry only game.

Yeah, but some maps have objectives (parked tanks and vehicles) that require the A-T weapons to blow up....

Rifles are the way to go in WW2 games.

buggery, shouyld really look at the time & date things are posted...

Holy crap, this game looks awesome!

And it's cheap!

DOUBLE YAY.

Here's some more information and mostly from early March.

GDC Videos (not recent) Part 1 & Part 2

Details
Spoiler :

When Kittens Attack said:
  • Faster movement to get out of prone
    (OMG! Trying to escape a grenade when you're currently in prone position in RO 1, wasn't going to happen. Old animation was way too slow.)
  • Proning with a deployable weapo will automatically deploy
    (Old system used a two click method)

• While prone you'll automatically pick up the weapon slightly to reposition, like if you've turned beyond the bipod's angle limit
    (Old system you would have to undeploy, reposition, then redeploy)

• You can now crouch for cover when deployed weapons
    (If its mounted on a sandbag or something of height)

• Heavy machine guns mounted on tripods
    (Several spawnable locations per map. Map will randomly choose which locations to spawn them at. You cannot relocate these.)

• Relaxed suppression with suppression bar and other features
    (Extremely mild compared to Darkest Hour's version of suppression. Example of Darkest Hour's suppression. However it still follows the same principles of making it harder for those who are suppressed to effectively fire back.)

• Mantling
    (Old News: Climbing over objects, like in the recent update in Darkest Hour)

• Fully detailed tanks with fully animated crew including AI
    (Stand a side every game that had tanks before, this ain't nothing like you've seen yet.)

• Reactive Objective Hud
    (Old News: you can press a button to display objective locations on screen)

• Destruction
    (BC 1 style, leaving some remaining shell of its former self. So players can still use it for cover, unlike BC 2's system of turning it into rubble, then it becomes just useless to everyone else.)

• Command-able AI
    (Old News: Singleplayer and AI Tank crew)

• 64 Player Count and 10 Maps @ Ship, comes with SDK
    (Old News)

• All maps will support all game modes with some configurations to them
    (Like the BF2, BF2142, and BC1/BC2 system)

• Team Deathmatch Mode
    (No class limits or weapon limits, the game mode you want to play when you want to get introduced into the game)

• New spawning system
    (As players progress into the map, the game will dynamically pick a player to spawn others to. This will help create small pockets of resistance)

• Weapon Pickup menu
    (If you ever played a game where there are multiple weapons on the ground and you want to pick up a certain one. You have to fumble around a bit, but now this game gives you a menu of whats near you to pick up. I wish they had this system for arming/disarming objectives in BC2 and CoD. In those two game you would pick up a zillion weapons at the objective point instead of arming/disarming )

• Peripheral indicators
    ("Let's you know that something is moving in your peripheral vision. You won't know if its a friend or foe until you look at it. That's due to the way the human eye works. With the screen, the human eye sees much further than the sides of the screen, so the peripheral indicators are to compensate for that." - excerpt from video)

• Slow death mode
    (Old news: Kinda like 'Second Chance' in CoD or 'Downed Mode' in GW2, the player bleeds out from a non-fetal wound with chance to still fight back)

• End of Game Stats
    (Top player, Most dishonorable, and etc information)

• Persistent stats tracking
    (The whole sha-bang. Breakdown for individual classes and weapons. Viewable in-game vs having to leave the server to view them (cough* CoD and BF))

• Weapon upgrades
    (Old news: You level up classes individually, as you rank up you can unlock authentic upgrades for them. I heard it wasn't CoD WaW quantity, but I'm sure they will be quality upgrades)

When Kittens Attack!!! said:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/20/r...etailed-will-use-vac-and-punkbuster/#comments

Support for Ranked and Unranked Dedicated Servers
Ranked servers monitored by Devs for banning misbehavior
Support for custom rulesets on unranked servers
Server tool can be used to customize weapons, classes, game types, gameplay elements and scoring elements
LAN play will be supported
Both VAC and Punkbuster simultaneously (VAC will not catch hackers until weeks later and PB will kick you for NOT hacking, jk :thumbsup: )
Demo recording and spectator mode
Custom keybinding and custom UI
64 player maps can be scaled down to 16 and 10 player battles

Anti-Cheat: Servers will have VAC enabled by default but can also use Punkbuster if they want to in 3 different modes (basically a lite version of PB, standard, and complete PB that will kick people for using the steam overlay (this is why they made PB optional, because its not very well developed)).

===

I'm totally stoked on this game :D Especially since Tripwire is NOT cutting out features that were once STANDARD for any FPS on the PC.

cannot wait, already have it "purchased" :)

yup yup, the best too. was sorely disappointed by Brink, Homefront, and Medal of Honor.

there's only so many times you can invade Normandy....

For me it's not the invading Normandy thing. If I have to play one more first or second level of a WWII any large budget theatrical shooter in which I get off of a boat or a plane or a truck just as the vehicle explodes and a stagger forward and am subsequently helped up by the captain and told to suppress or take out something, I am going to scream. Can they PUHLEEZE come up with a different way to start shooters? It's almost as bad as the "making long jumps, not quite making the distance, about to slip, and being saved at the last second by the captain" which has come to be a staple of MW games now.

You start in a hammock. You stretch, eat a banana, calmly walk outside, pick up a gun, and shoot a guy behind a fence. Then you get full control.

Bah, then you complain about these damn foreigners (ignoring you are a British colonist who is a retired SAS) disturbing your vacation. Then go rambo on them after they blow up the bar.

Epic bump for EPIC NEWS!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/21/red-orchestra-2-release-date-price-announced/

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (could a mod please add the game title onto the thread pretty please with sugar and cake on top?) will be released on August 30th worldwide and for only $39.99 USD!

Sweet that's a game worth getting.

yup yup, the best too. was sorely disappointed by Brink, Homefront, and Medal of Honor.

Of those, I'd only have expected Brink to be any good. And I'd read it is actually pretty good. I'd have got it but I got the usual Valve FPS squad stuff already.

Bah, then you complain about these damn foreigners (ignoring you are a British colonist who is a retired SAS) disturbing your vacation. Then go rambo on them after they blow up the bar.

Nope, a Corporal. You start in your barracks. Should've put that in.

Sounds interesting. I like the idea of fighting Joe Stalin. I wonder if the game will see release in Germany (sans Nazi regalia, of course).

Sounds interesting. I like the idea of fighting Joe Stalin. I wonder if the game will see release in Germany (sans Nazi regalia, of course).

Judging from the first game, I can guarantee you there will not be any swastikas or the like, so I see no reason why this wouldn't be released in Germany.

Top Bottom