Wild Mana for FFH 2

another micromanagement nightmare that was solved in FF btw is the way haste works. you cast it once and it stays active as long as you have a caster capable of casting it in the stack ( the fact that you don't have to waste a caster to do that is offset by a negative promotion after it wears off, that only lasts for 1 turn iirc, similar to centaurs' sprint ability ) . I think it makes the spell a lot less annoying ( I often forget to cast it... :D ) , and it even fixes the fact that if you cast haste AFTER moving, you can move a lot faster through harsh terrain ( for example a vampire has 1 movement, if you cast haste and then move on a forest/hill tile you can only move 1 tile. but if you cast haste AFTER you move on the hill/forest tile, you can move 2 tiles... micromanagement hell indeed :D )

Cool looking mod, however I found a small text key error in GameOptionInfos.xml:

thanks, already fixed. Let me know if you find something else

[to_xp]Gekko;8233931 said:
speaking of notque's modmod, one of the reasons I loved it was that the AIs could use ships wisely. I've even seen them settling small islands very quickly and efficiently, it was truly a joy to watch. I haven't gotten the chance to see how the AIs fare with ships in your modmod yet though, so I thought I'd ask: did you also improve their understanding of naval warfare/settling as well as everything else? :D ( FF also has good improvements in that area, easy ones too like early ships having more cargo space and not needing copper for example )
not yet. Skyres Mod improves it quite a bit

Hmm... I'm intrigued by the "new leaders" part of the next changelog... Do I have to wait to find out more informations on that or would you share some infos..? :p
sorry, I haven't really made up my mind yet. So far I included Minor leader trait from Notque modmod, wrote a trait that allows to choose two traits at game start and included a few Amurite minor leaders of whom one will be quite familiar to you ;-)

[to_xp]Gekko;8234286 said:
another micromanagement nightmare that was solved in FF btw is the way haste works.
spellcasting in general should probably get some automation functions.
[to_xp]Gekko;8235492 said:
I'm noticing a sub-optimal behaviour by the AI in my current game: they love to use workboats for scouting purposes.
normal BTS behavior. If you have a workboat that can't improve stuff, go scouting.

yeah, but how does one have workboats that can't improve stuff? wouldn't that mean wasting hammers on a useless workboat? :lol:

I'm eager to see that, Sephi :)

One other thing I had in mind is that it seems, at least from my experience, that the AI has trouble dealing with Mana Guardians, especially in their first city's fat cross because it is too scared to send workers/settlers out I guess. Did you notice that too?

Finally, I really like your changes from the other Wild Mana mod available. I was on my way to do the "nodes change surrounding" thing but if you already did it... I may borrow you some code, I hope you don't mind :)

Edit: I have trouble finding where you included the code changing Ice node's surrounding tiles in snow, though...

[to_xp]Gekko;8235649 said:
yeah, but how does one have workboats that can't improve stuff? wouldn't that mean wasting hammers on a useless workboat? :lol:

useless? scouting gives potential foreign trade and tech trading. Not that bad.

@Opera
it's in the dll
Spoiler :
Code:
                   if (getOriginPlot()->getBonusType()==(BonusTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("BONUS_MANA_ICE"))
                    {
                        if (GC.getGameINLINE().getSorenRandNum(1000, "freezeit")<Effectchance)
                        {
                            if (pLoopPlot->getTerrainType()==(TerrainTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_TUNDRA"))
                            {
                                pLoopPlot->setTerrainType((TerrainTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_SNOW"), true, false);
                            }
                            if (pLoopPlot->getTerrainType()==(TerrainTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_PLAINS"))
                            {
                                pLoopPlot->setTerrainType((TerrainTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_TUNDRA"), true, false);
                            }
                            if (pLoopPlot->getTerrainType()==(TerrainTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_GRASS"))
                            {
                                pLoopPlot->setTerrainType((TerrainTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_TUNDRA"), true, false);
                            }
                            if (pLoopPlot->getTerrainType()==(TerrainTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_DESERT"))
                            {
                            }

if (pLoopPlot->isWater())
                            {
                                pLoopPlot->setFeatureType((FeatureTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("FEATURE_ICE"));
                            }
                        }
                    }

[/spoiler]

I'm eager to see that, Sephi :)

One other thing I had in mind is that it seems, at least from my experience, that the AI has trouble dealing with Mana Guardians, especially in their first city's fat cross because it is too scared to send workers/settlers out I guess. Did you notice that too?
Mana guardians don't spawn close to capitals and with my new UNITAIs the AI knows very well how to deal with barbs/mana guardians. espcially the Grigori with their nice stacks lead by heroes.

Mana guardians don't spawn close to capitals and with my new UNITAIs the AI knows very well how to deal with barbs/mana guardians. espcially the Grigori with their nice stacks lead by heroes.
Great then :)

useless? scouting gives potential foreign trade and tech trading. Not that bad.

sure, but imho they should build a galley/trireme/whatever for that. I mean, with all those sea serpents and turtles and assorted nasty stuff that can come at you even at sea, a workboat doesn't stand a chance of surviving for long enough to get some decent scouting done, or even be able to fight back for that matter :lol:

[to_xp]Gekko;8236663 said:
sure, but imho they should build a galley/trireme/whatever for that. I mean, with all those sea serpents and turtles and assorted nasty stuff that can come at you even at sea, a workboat doesn't stand a chance of surviving for long enough to get some decent scouting done, or even be able to fight back for that matter :lol:

Since the workboat can't leave cultural borders and all that nasty stuff can't enter cultural borders, those workboats usually map the whole coastline and come back home to be used on an eventual improvement. It really is good AI behaviour, switching it to galley or trireme would delay the scouting and make it needlessly more expensive.

the problem with the workboats and AI is that the AI has a very basic logic on how to decide if a workboat should be build. So it will sometimes end up with one workboat more than it can use and then send it out to explore (I am pretty sure Firaxis knew about the problem but simply considered very minor) After all the scouting might give a benefit

[to_xp]Gekko;8234286 said:
another micromanagement nightmare that was solved in FF btw is the way haste works. you cast it once and it stays active as long as you have a caster capable of casting it in the stack ( the fact that you don't have to waste a caster to do that is offset by a negative promotion after it wears off, that only lasts for 1 turn iirc, similar to centaurs' sprint ability ) . I think it makes the spell a lot less annoying

I got the automatically cast spell X working. Any other spell than haste that should get this option?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0095.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0095.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 106
sweet! I can't think of any spell that SPECIFICALLY needs that, but I'll say that it would be very useful for ANY buff spell that has a chance to fade out as turns pass ( which would be most of them iirc ) . actually I'll just read through the list of spells and find which ones would benefit from being automated, I'll post back in a couple minutes. please note that automated casting is a dream come true :D

ok, here are the spells that would certainly benefit from automated casting:

Fair Winds ( Air 1 - 5% chance to fade )
Dance of Blades ( Chaos 1 - lasts only 1 turn )
Blur ( Shadow 1 - 50% chance to fade)
Shadowwalk ( Shadow 2 - 25% chance to fade )
Bless? ( Confessor's Divine Spell - this one doesn't fade out as turns pass, but it does fade out after combat )
Determination? ( FF's Force 2 spell which gives the Unstoppable promo - does it still do that btw? not sure if that effect fades out or not since I don't have FF on my system right now )

there you go! I thought there were a lot more, luckily it's just a few of them... but what a relief it will be! :lol:

oh yeah, now I remember. Determination does not exist anymore, Magic Missile is the Force 2 spell and Force 1 is now Accelerate, which works like Haste does, except it works for siege, golems and that kind of stuff. that spell would definitely benefit greatly from automated spellcasting. and actually, any spell would, as long as you can choose when to automate it and stop automating it. summons for example, so that you don't have to recast them each turn, offensive spells, whatever. :D

well, world spells not (would just add useless icons to the interface), and spells that can declare war probably aren't a good idea either.
Anyway, I allowed 94 spells/abilites now to be autocasted (like vampires feasting,etc.). Thanks for your ideas, I definetly would have missed 1 or 2 very important :D

Top Bottom