Are you D-O-N-E with CiV?

I'm pretty done as well. I fired it back up recently, just couldn't get all the way into it. I will always keep coming back to it, but I find myself abandoning games quickly.

I have been checking this site daily with the expectation that CIV6 will be announced any day now......:sad:

Just returned to playing Civilization this month after seeing a youtuber friend start playing. Back in the day I was pretty active and I played alot of the historical scenarios and awesome experimtal games and was pretty active on the forum. I agree that the game is nearly infinitely replayable it just depends on your imagination and ability to not settle into routine. The amount of variety in games is quite good if you are willing to think of and try new strategies so I'd recommend mixing it up to the guys above that say every game is the same. That's your own playstyle, not a limitation of the actual game imho.

Once I even played myself in hotseat to test different strategies against each other with different civs. Interestingly, the fast science build lost to a wider more war-oriented strategy even with a more than adequate modern military. Zulu going for world domination wrecked the Indonesian tech leaders even though they were 2 tech generations ahead and on their own island so years to prepare. Those promos from conquering the earth and a good strategy that damages the economy really make a difference, it isn't all about tech level in civ V war. War is probably the most interesting part of the game in my opinion and you miss part of the experience if you only play AI which suck at it. Shame multiplayer is so laggy and buggy though...I hope they fix the system in Civ 6 because I can't stand the laggy who can click faster system most hosts use.

In no way, but then I haven't even hit the 200 hour mark in Civ V, let alone the 900 or 1,000 or whatever marks some of you talk about, and I've never played a game above the Prince difficulty level. I know that I could be a much better player, and that's going to be enough to keep me going for a long while even once Civ VI comes out.

Nope. I mean, I still play II and III routinely as well!

I was done with Civ 4 BTS a long time ago though. Worst in the series IMO... but every now and then I give it another try and I do not see why anyone likes it.

I think five is fantastic (especially with acken's mod) and still do after all of these years.

Personally, if it wasn't for the mod in my sig.

I'd stopped playing civ5 long time ago. Maybe at 100 hour mark.

Firaxis's map scripts just no good when compared at the mapscripts i get in the mod.

I love civ but I mostly develop for it, haven't played a real game in about two months. :/

I've been waiting for 6 since 5 came out. Still play every once in a while. Have even given 5 a little play time since it seems a little better than it was when it came out. For years it was the only game for me. Played it constantly. Civ 5 was so uninteresting, to me, that I started playing other games. Still love Civ but its no longer the only game I play.

Can't wait for VI, but when I think about VI I just end up playing V out of excitement...Beyond Earth hasn't done much to scratch the Civ itch for me.
As much as I'm excited for VI, it's not like VI is actually gonna be better than V at launch, so I've gotten used to the idea that (assuming a release late this year) I won't be playing VI super heavily until an expansion in late 2017.
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't have confidence after every Civ game has followed this pattern.

It comes and goes. Right now Witcher 3 is my timesink, and I have a bunch of games I haven't played yet, such as Fallout 3 + New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin, Endless Legend...

I was done with Civ 4 BTS a long time ago though. Worst in the series IMO...
Thanks for the tip. :goodjob:
I keep telling myself that I've done just about everything there is to do in CIV5 on Deity, can't bring myself to re-visit lower difficulties, so I should go back to Civ4 - I loved Civ4. In retrospect, I have stronger feelings about 4 than 5. But I never picked up BTS, stuck w/ Warlords, maybe that's why I like it so much. So I have a constant intention to re-install Civ4 (after The Great Hard Drive Crash of '15 :( ), but every time I get the disk out, I start a new game of Civ5.
And yes, I realize how pathetic it is that I procrastinate playing a game by playing a game instead.

I'll be done playing Civ V as soon as I manage to beat Deity difficulty on Acken's mod. So probably in a year or two :lol:

I was done with Civ 4 BTS a long time ago though. Worst in the series IMO... but every now and then I give it another try and I do not see why anyone likes it.

I think five is fantastic (especially with acken's mod) and still do after all of these years.

Really? I have a hard time believing it! Civ4 was by far the best in my opinion. There was an actual challenge to balancing your economy and expansion. Civ5 doesn't seem to have any economic challenge IMO. Every game seems to play out the same to me. I try. I fire up 5 and nearly always quit out after 100 turns and boot up Civ4.

Maybe it's the Acken's mod? I don't have it. I just don't get how anyone could love unmodded (besides enhanced UI) Civ5 more than unmodded (besides the BUG / BULL) Civ4.

A lot of the comments here ring true with me. I had a long break from Civ V after around 1300+ hours played, now I'm playing it all the time again.
Lots of restarts over those hours so I only had a handful of completed games to my credit. I am going through the achievements now, with the 'so close' selecting what I should go for. I only managed to beat emperor previously and when I came back I had to go back down to prince to re-learn how to play :blush:
I have 8 since May 8th. Working on First in the Hearts of Your Countrymen at the moment on King difficulty.
I play on Large maps, Epic pace so a game takes a while and I only have 8 wins towards Master of the Universe at the moment.

It comes and goes. Right now Witcher 3 is my timesink, and I have a bunch of games I haven't played yet, such as Fallout 3 + New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin, Endless Legend...

Fallout is boring as all hell. It's an open world of nothing. Fallout 2 was sort of fun because it was turned based :).

I'll be done playing Civ V as soon as I manage to beat Deity difficulty on Acken's mod. So probably in a year or two :lol:

:lol: Good luck, it's a good mod. It would seem (although I am not certain) that firaxis did not reach out to the developer of it. Too bad.

Really? I have a hard time believing it! Civ4 was by far the best in my opinion. There was an actual challenge to balancing your economy and expansion. Civ5 doesn't seem to have any economic challenge IMO. Every game seems to play out the same to me. I try. I fire up 5 and nearly always quit out after 100 turns and boot up Civ4.

Maybe it's the Acken's mod? I don't have it. I just don't get how anyone could love unmodded (besides enhanced UI) Civ5 more than unmodded (besides the BUG / BULL) Civ4.

Different strokes for different folks. But Acken's mod is awesome. Really enhances the AI.

As for CIV IV, nope... I could never get into it. I loved every civ game except for that one. Save for the music - the music in IV was fantastic! I loved how when zooming in on the borders of different civs the music would change. I hope that VI brings that back.

As for CIV IV, nope... I could never get into it. I loved every civ game except for that one.

Same here, and yet it is very highly regarded ... :confused:

...Anyone else through with CiV?
No as I'm trying out the infamous GL->NC->4city Tradition opener experiment on Emperor as the Shoshone. You're not meant to be doing this but I've just beat my Secularism record by 15 turns. My point is this game can be spiced up by trying out things that shouldn't work, you'll be surprised how many things you can do.

I would have been finished with CiV if it weren't for mods that increase the replay value, mainly simple balance mods. I play with Acken's mod for balance and better AI, and then I've modded the game myself to boost the civs that are rather weak, like America or France.

I still play Civ more than all other games combined. So I guess I'm not done. ;)

Top Bottom