Is the opening to Apocalypse Now the best movie opening ever?

Is the opening to Apocalypse Now the best movie opening ever?

• Yes, definately.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Mmmm, it's okay, but maybe not the best.

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • I love the smell of radioactive monkeys in the morning!

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

nonconformist

Miserable
This is sort a spinoff of CG64's thread, but personally, I think the opening is perfect. The best. The sight of a napalmed forest, with thumping, unsynchronised helicopter blades, and the Doors singing The End. Classic opening for a classic film.

Its definetly great.

In fact, I'd say it is the best.

But I also love the opening to Resevoir Dogs. And the music and title sequence for Band of Outsiders deserves a spot of there too. ;)

I watched this movie like 7 nights in a row I was so awestruck by it. The opening is brilliant. I knew The Doors could make a movie better, but I didn't know a movie could make The Doors better.

Suppersalmon said:
I perfer the opening to saving private ryan

This "opening" you talk of lasts half an hour. We are tlking the first five minutes.

Sobieski II said:
I watched this movie like 7 nights in a row I was so awestruck by it. The opening is brilliant. I knew The Doors could make a movie better, but I didn't know a movie could make The Doors better.

Yeah, I watched the opening of the movie several times, and just went back over and over. It is fantastic. The opning monologue is quite good.
"Still in Saigon".

I always liked the opening the Star Wars Episodes 4 & 5. Full Metal Jacket was pretty darn good as well. You have to look long and hard to top that opening.

Best? Who knows. But The Matrix springs to mind. From the green code to when Trinity disappears into the phonebooth is flawless.

nonconformist said:
This "opening" you talk of lasts half an hour. We are tlking the first five minutes.

I think he means the bit at the very begining, where Ryan is at the cemetary.

I found the begining and end of SPR very moving, great sad scenes. I've never seen Apocalypse Now, but I've heard so much about it that I am gonna see if I can find it on DVD.

me being a martial art movie fanatic like the opening of "Enter the Dragon" the best movie opening ever.

On topic, I really do not see why everybody raves about Apocalypse now. It's s good movie, but I have seen better war movies. So what is so great about it, that we have two threads on it and so many people saying it has the perfect ending and the beginning? :eek:

I'd have to say the best opening is the one in the Godfather I.
Especially when Don Vito goes: "You come to my house, ask me for a favour, and show no respect. You didn't even call me godfather." And the end of the dialogue: "I will help you. But remember that you will owe me a favour, and someday I'm going to ask for it. This day may not be tomorrow, and it may never come, But if does, I expect you do it" (I have bad memory, the words used were obviously cooler then the ones I wrote here).

luiz said:
But if does, I expect you do it" (I have bad memory, the words used were obviously cooler then the ones I wrote here).

IIRC, "Till that day accept this as a gift from me on my daughter's wedding day."

I am a sucker for the opening of "A Clockwork Orange". The zoom on Alex DeLarge's psycho face, and the slow zoon out, introducing us to a new world of madness, while DeLarge's incoherent words but placid tone sets the madness of the caracther's intentions.

Another opening that deserves mention is that of Forrest Gump. The feather floating on the air is just like the hero of the movie - moving with the flow, but somehow getting in the right place.

Another I really like is the opening of Amadeus, when Salieri tries suicide. We don't know who he is and what is he doing and why, but right there we know that there is something terrible about that guy.

Regards :).

Apocalypse is probably my favorite movie but with a heavy heart I have to admit that Godfather has the most impressive opening. I still remember the first time I saw Apocalypse in an open air cinema in Greece i felt completely awstruck but at the same time lost with the opening.Godfather is much smoother but so effective....

Top Bottom