Steampunk World Scenario

Okay, so here is the most recent update or revision of the Steampunk civilopedia. I have to compress it into a zip file because the forum only allows file sizes up to 500KB. Once unzipped, just overwrite the current civilopedia file in the Text file in the scenario folder. (You may wish to cut and paste a backup to another nearby destination, though not strictly necessary.) This is a nearly-completed work in progress, and as of November 2013 it is as complete as it is going to be until the project is finalized. It will allow playtesters to get a better feel for the scenario, but rather than wait for the finished product, which could be some time in coming, I recommend you go ahead and begin using this nearly-complete Civilopedia. Continue checking this thread post (#141) for the most recent upload.
UPLOAD DATE: November 5, 2013
UPDATED SECTIONS: Game Concepts; Improvements; Space Ship components; Great Wonders and Small Wonders; Governments; Tech Advances
REMAINING SECTIONS: Tribes/Civilizations Descriptions; Units (mostly description: required advances, required resources, upgrades and numeric values are already handled by CivEdit)

Thanks for taking on one of the most grinding tasks in scenario making. IIRC some of the units don't have their abilities, upgrades, etc. listed. Pretty necessary for game play. Are you going to tackle that?

Yes, but KingArthur suggested (post #140) I wait for these until last, since they're still subject to change moreso than the improvements and wonders. I did consult the Editor while updating the Game Concepts, such as Enslavement and the worker jobs. I've already found some oversights, but since I don't want to nitpick, particularly since I wasn't involved in all the development forums, all I've done so far is make a note of them in the civilopedia (they usually appear boldface) and we'll resolve them as time goes on. Civilopedia is time consuming, to be sure, but I don't consider it particularly grinding, since it's mostly cutting and pasting, proofreading, and typing a blurb or two here and there to make it all coherent. The best ones I've seen were for The Rood and the Dragon and Escape from Zombie Island scenarios. An otherwise well-conceived scenario tanks itself when the interface is full of messpellings, tpyos, ungood translations stemming from foreign language-speakers, Weird Grammar, and poor! use of? punctuation. We civfanatics are not English majors, for the most part, but a little extra effort goes a long way, and texting and chatrooms have put the final nails in the coffin of American literacy, but I'll continue to do my part 'til the end of my days.

Yeah, I called it a grind because it usually gets tackled at the end of a big project when everyone has run out of steam & it all gets dumped on one person.
... but since I don't want to nitpick, particularly since I wasn't involved in all the development forums, ...
the game ain't over yet. :mischief:

An otherwise well-conceived scenario tanks itself when the interface is full of messpellings, tpyos, ungood translations stemming from foreign language-speakers, Weird Grammar, and poor! use of? punctuation. We civfanatics are not English majors, for the most part, but a little extra effort goes a long way, and texting and chatrooms have put the final nails in the coffin of American literacy, but I'll continue to do my part 'til the end of my days.
You ain't alone, brudder.
Man that's one long scary post!
Look at the post just above that one to see what freaked him out. It was nice exchanging thoughts with someone who both reads and considers before replying. People that tl;dr then post comments anyway really bug me. Especially the ones who can't be bothered to read tutorial threads or posts. SRSLY. :p

Well, things are going smoothly, getting that Civilopedia updated and all. Looking over the icons for Buildings for the Civilopedia, I know most are custom-made for the scenario, but several from the Conquests folder can be repurposed rather well. Wild West Show = WarCouncil (not American Western, but a passably good tent or big top; Governor's Palace = ManorEurLarge (forbidden palace is definitely not European colonial); Valley of the Kings = burialmound (as a generic tomb, unless a mausoleum-like structure is more desirable); Ministry of Truth = kukulkan (unless an unstepped pyramid is more appropriate, or unless this wonder has nothing to do with 1984; alchemist, sacrificial_altar, codex, and citypark may be useful for League of Shadows, Call of Cthulhu, or Source of the Nile, perhaps.

I'll resume my work on the Civilopedia after some feedback. I get bored, and then I procrastinate.

Six months later I get the inclination to do some more Civilopedia entries. Toldja I procrastinate!

EDIT: As of today (05 NOV 2013) the civilopedia (post #141) is as complete as it is going to get until the Tribes and Units are finalized in the BIQ. Let me know when you want me to resume working on the Civilopedia, since I'm not likely to know when Steampunk Worlds is finished.
:hatsoff:

I just want to volunteer to help out with anything related to the SteamPunk mod.

Strengths: .pcx, .flc, and .txt files.
Weakness: I don't know how to make units yet but I have Poser and, with some help, maybe I can learn how to use it...

This mod looks very interesting, and I hope authors are still working on it.

Truthfully - depends on the definition of "working on it".

for myself - yes on scenario ideas, thinking through tech lines, unit upgrade paths, etc. As far as practical, sit down in the editor & make something playable even as an alpha - not for a while now. It's in the queue, but behind some serious RL anthropological research that involves learning GIS and doing a lot of visual media related to game worlds. Kinda uses up the mental juices available for nuts and bolts of making a scenario/mod.

KingArthur & Bathasar will have to speak for themselves, but I'd say overall don't give up hope, but don't hold your breath.

Thanks for your interest, Jarovid. I do plan to return to this subject matter in the future. First, I've been learning some hard facts about modding from Vuldacon, with whom I've been working on an Old West Mod for the last couple of years. I'll be a far, far better modder for it when I'm done.

In the meantime, I've continued working on some graphics projects that grew out of the Lost Worlds project, some of which I want to discuss with Blue Monkey before I post them:

*Last year I did a Mars Terrain which grew out of the 'Barsoom' portion of the LW mod. Of course, I fashioned a Barsoom Map for myself. To go with this map, I've made some very nice Barsoom Resources, and of course I still have yet to post the very excellent Barsoomian cities that Blue Monkey & I did based on the Frank Frazetta Barsoom Art. I'll make a post all about it in Blue Monkey's Barsoom World Building Thread, when I've got his permission.

*I've also been working lately on the Time Machine (Spaceship victory) that Blue Monkey, King Arthur & I started so many years ago, with concept and initial design credits going solidly to Blue Monkey. You can read all about it in the now-archived "Designing the Time Machine" thread. The latest iteration, still in testing, will hopefully look like this:
Spoiler :

Thx for taking the trouble to answer to my post, Balthasar.
It's good to know that you guys are still working on this mod.

Hi tom2050, I have a version of this scenario that is still a "work in progress". I have tweaked the earth version of the map so it is quite different from anything posted before. Happy to share it to Dropbox for you if you PM me your email address. Cheers and all the best Steve aka KingArthur.

I am posting this reworked version of the SteamPunk Worlds scenario. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao22DDKw4lY6tjm3b7Kdve0DQkZS + updated biq file which fixes the France leader flic bug and adds coal to Portugal https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao22DDKw4lY6tjv3sCfVZU-TJHyS

It uses YodaPower's Giant Earth map with 31 Civs, 54 techs across 4 eras, 62 buildings and 118 unique units for that epic Steampunk effect.

Numerous conflicts now appear at local level all over the map.

This is posted "as-is". It is playable (i.e. no crashes) and fun; however, the following caveats apply:
  • Units exist with missing sounds
  • Civilopedia entries exist which lack flavour
  • Diplomacy dialogue lacks flavour
  • No tech tree arrows or tech tree text bubbles
  • May not be entirely balanced - playing as the UK will be easier than playing as Texas.
  • These civs are not intended to be played by humans: Secret Society, African Tribes and Amerindians

Full list of Civs below (in order of power):
United Kingdom
France
Russia
USA
Ottoman Empire
Germany
Brazil
China
Austria
Spain
Mexico
Italian City States
Rio de la Plata
Siam
Peru-Bolivia
Gran Colombia
Nordic Union
Egypt
Persia
Japan
Portugal
Lowlands
Ethiopia
Oman
Morocco
Texas
Afghanistan
Sikh Empire
Secret Society*
Amerindians
African Tribes
*Can become powerful due to starting units and easy access to Wonder produced units

Attachments

• nmtqftw.png
    nmtqftw.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Bug report: there's a folder name error in France. The folder for the french animation of the Aether Era is spelled wrong. Had to use the scenario editor; go to civilizations->France->bottom left (Animations); switch to Aether era, then correct the folder for "reverse filename". Should be "art" not "aart".

Edit: game is still crashing with this error "AArt\Flics\france.flc"; no idea if the correction only afects new games...

Also... Portugal always had coal... :(

For Mexico Rifleman is set to upgrade to US Gatling Gun instead to Gatling gun.
(Hope this gentle push will help to see this great mod finished :D).

Top Bottom