Re-uploading after the server migration

Plotinus

Philosopher
Retired Moderator
With AtomicGamer shut down, a lot of mods and other files have become unavailable. Hopefully authors are re-uploading their work to other servers and fixing the links, but of course many people aren't active any more. Fortunately a lot of people will have downloaded mods in the past and still have them. I think that it's fine for people to re-upload other people's mods if the following conditions are met:

(1) The mod is unavailable only because of AtomicGamer (or another service) shutting down;
(2) The author has either given permission for someone else to upload it or is uncontactable.

There's discussion of where to re-upload modes here.

If anyone re-uploads a mod and wants the OP of that mod's thread edited so that the links are correct, just let me know.

What would you say is the threshold for being uncontactable? Two days? A week? Is there a threshold where if they haven't been on CFC for a certain number of months or years, it's OK to assume they probably won't be checking their messages?

I've send a PM to Rambuchan about re-uploading Rise of the Mughals, but am not sure what an appropriate amount of time to wait for a response is.

What would you say is the threshold for being uncontactable? Two days? A week? Is there a threshold where if they haven't been on CFC for a certain number of months or years, it's OK to assume they probably won't be checking their messages?

I've send a PM to Rambuchan about re-uploading Rise of the Mughals, but am not sure what an appropriate amount of time to wait for a response is.

I wouldn't assume anything - sometimes people just pop in to CFC completely out of the blue, having not been heard from for years.

I wouldn't assume anything - sometimes people just pop in to CFC completely out of the blue, having not been heard from for years.

Yes :D, welcome back georgestow!

...and something to the topic of this thread:
What is if an old mod/scenario has copyright violations? By a re-upload, is there only the re-uploader responsible or the original creator, too (who thought, that his old scenario/mod is "burried")?

And you've provided an excellent example by that very post. :thumbsup: Welcome back!

In lieu of more specific guidelines, and while I still remember that it's missing, I think I'm going to go ahead and re-upload the Mughals since it's been half a week and there's demand to play it. Probably going to skip the soundtrack though, since it is optional and its copyright status is unclear.

Top Bottom