A Civ V retrospective: what features do you love and, which ones do you hate?

Hey all, I took some time away from writing strategy guides to put together a couple of retrospective articles about Civ V. I wrote a Top 10 list of good ideas, and another Top 10 list of bad ideas.

Top 10 good ideas:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2015/06/03/Civ-V-retrospective-top-10-good-ideas.aspx

Summary:
10. Customizable religion.
9. The pact of secrecy - which was removed :( - and preparing for war.
8. Tactical, 1upt, hex-based combat.
7. Cumulative cultural progress (social policies).
6. Strategic resource supply
5. Archaeology, great works, and tourism.
4. Natural Wonders.
3. City States.
2. Notification-based user interface.
1. Civilization unique traits, units, buildings, improvements, etc.

And there's a 10 bad ideas:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2015/06/04/Civ-V-retrospective-top-10-bad-ideas.aspx

Summary:
10. Can't raze capitals.
9. Insta heal
8. Chariot archer and anti-mounted upgrade paths.
7. Warmonger hate.
6. Removing cinematics and lowering production values.
5. Linear tech tree.
4. Snowballing, lack of viable catch-up mechanics and runaway controls.
3. Forcing small-scall tactical combat onto a large-scale nation-state map.
2. NO SUPPORT FOR MODS IN MULTIPLAYER
1. Focus on "strategy board game" feel rather than empire-management sim.

I'm curious, what are everybody else's favorite and most hated features and mechanics?

Feel free to read the full blog posts and comment there as well, if you see fit. :)

Not a bad list, though I disagree with a few. I wouldn't put tactical/1 UPT/hex-based combat on the positives list, simply because I think the negatives - scale, the lack of feeling like an empire, etc. - outweigh it. And, with the caveat that I haven't been motivated to buy any of the expansions, I don't think city states are a positive, in practice. In my experience, they're gold sinks instead, and I'd much rather simply have more (regular) civilizations. It could also be interesting if there were some civs that started stronger than others - but fundamentally I find regular civs more interesting to interact with.

The insta heal argument is interesting, and the point about how it would make sense for it to be the entirety of actions for a turn makes sense, and is very much like how it was in Civ3 and Civ4 where you could only heal if that was the only thing you did that turn (with exceptions of moving by railroad in Civ3 and when the unit had the March promotion in Civ4). I hadn't found it that negative myself, but that may be due to a tendency to avoid wars in Civ5 due to not being a fan of carpets of doom (including my own carpets of doom). More generally, the chariot/lancer one is another one that probably hasn't bothered me due to avoiding war.

I hadn't realized Civ5 didn't support mods in multiplayer. That sucks. I've had some good times with mods in multiplayer in Civ4.

Civ-unique traits and social policies in particular are great ideas. I hope they eventually make it to an interation of the Civ series that does not have 1 UPT. Though they can, of course, be refined. Civ-unique traits suffer from some of them not being useful on some maps (naval ones on pangaea, for example), and a system like Paradox's National Ideas in EU4 would help by allowing each civ to have multiple bonuses and maluses, so not using one doesn't make the rest useless. And I think social policies could be revised to make it less based around progressing through a tree, and more about allowing options to tweak your society. Improving along the rationality path, for instance, ideally shouldn't just give bonuses (though some of that's fine), but also allow some interesting gameplay options. Civ3 hinted at this a bit with the option for certain buildings to require certain government types. But overall, I do like social policies more than the choose-only-one civics of Civ4, and they're more multifacted than Civ3's governments (though they do leave a bit to be desired in terms of defining what the system of government actually is).

On the whole, I do still plan to pick up the latest expansion eventually and do at least one game on the largest Earth map, since that's a great pasttime in Civ. But beyond that, I hope Firaxis is able to pluck some of the good ideas in Civ5, refine them, and introduce a better Civ in the future that returns the scale and feel of empire that made Civ3 and Civ4 so great. Until then, I'll mainly be playing EU4.

You really need to try the full game before you rule out City States. They are yet another nice dimension to the game. The do occupy land but they do not expand or invade you unless they are allies with your enemies. They provide great benefits including economical, political, and tactical.

Welp, tried a game which was perfect for testing the supposed warmonger changes. Started as Zulu surrounded by city-states and a mountain range. Ideal for a OCC I guess, but not really in the mood, so I take two city-states to the west to open up more areas to expand.

All is going rather well. Poland and Huns are distracting everyone from really noticing since they are busy fighting their own wars. Early Industrial comes, BAM! DoW's from everyone but Siam. 80% of city-states from alliances as well. Trade-routes trashed. Negative happiness, hurting on gold.

And all because of two city-states way back in early classical era. Nevermind Huns and Poles have completely trashed 4 of the other empires, but nope, no one minds, it is the human player who took two city-states we must all team up against.

I know it is from that, too, because A. I've tried similar strategies often in the past and know the pattern and B. If it was just the random DoW, it would only be one or two, not the entire map.

Just stupid how you are shoehorned into overly peaceful pacifist play. It is just one game, but as far as I can see nothing has changed from the patch.

I really don't like how the AI behaves. I think what makes the AI "difficult" should be (along with bonuses to production, growth, etc) their decision making. It would be cool if, on Deity, the AI had very specific tech paths based on their win condition. Prioritizing NC and other research techs/buildings along with any specific wonders/techs that go along with their VC. This would also bleed over into behavior patterns/like-ability. This exists to a certain extent atm, but it's not pronounced enough. Often I get backstabbed by the guy who is trying to win via Diplo, even though he's getting ~60 GPT through trade routes we've established, or somebody will stall their spaceship parts to build military and invade a neighbor that has no chance of interrupting their SV. Obviously I would like them to be better in battle and less obnoxiously aggressive, but I think we all agree on that.

I'm also not a fan of the win conditions and how homogenized they are. Science over everything and there's no way around that atm. I was introduced to Civ via CivRev on the xbox. You could win by accumulating immense amounts of gold and building some wonder (forgot by now). Counterplay was to attack the guy and make him spend his gold on defending himself, as well as putting spies in his lands and stealing gold. It was simple, entertaining, and had genuine counterplay.

I don't like how religion is so snowbally. Some pantheons are useless, while others are high priority. This isn't a game concept so much as it is a balance issue, but perhaps it could turn into a conceptual argument via debate over whether or not the current religion system should stay.

I think yours is the post that is closest to how I feel.

On the point of religion, I think that they just need to be more complex and balanced. Each founder chooses 7-8 things and only 1 or 2 of those are unique to the founder. Also, there should be more religions than 5 on Standard size.

As far as the OP's question is concerned, I think we all know what needs changing.

The best thing about BNW is that the late game isn't anywhere near as boring as it was without ideologies and tourism victories.

But the worst thing remains the AI's insanity. Some modern made a Diplomacy mod, which, even if it didn't achieve everything it set out to do, was a step in the right direction. Friendships that last thousands of years shouldn't be thrown away quite so easily, and warmonger hate should last in one era only.

Welp, tried a game which was perfect for testing the supposed warmonger changes. Started as Zulu surrounded by city-states and a mountain range. Ideal for a OCC I guess, but not really in the mood, so I take two city-states to the west to open up more areas to expand.

All is going rather well. Poland and Huns are distracting everyone from really noticing since they are busy fighting their own wars. Early Industrial comes, BAM! DoW's from everyone but Siam. 80% of city-states from alliances as well. Trade-routes trashed. Negative happiness, hurting on gold.

And all because of two city-states way back in early classical era. Nevermind Huns and Poles have completely trashed 4 of the other empires, but nope, no one minds, it is the human player who took two city-states we must all team up against.

I know it is from that, too, because A. I've tried similar strategies often in the past and know the pattern and B. If it was just the random DoW, it would only be one or two, not the entire map.

Just stupid how you are shoehorned into overly peaceful pacifist play. It is just one game, but as far as I can see nothing has changed from the patch.

You just have to be willing/able to absorb the costs of having the known world despise you for a lengthy period of time. Ideologies are usually a pivot point in global relations, I've had many games where my early warmongering was overlooked by civs who shared the same ideology.

In my current game I have 5 cities in my pocket (1 cap, 2 given in peace deals) via wars which were wrapped up by the medieval era. Once ideologies kicked in, relationships with my fellow order civs were positive. In reality, I deserved the warmonger hate and DOWs which came my way. I was taking cities from two of the 4 civs on my continent. If the AI did not (two AIs stayed neutral) denounce/DOW, I would have been severely disappointed.

All that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to warmonger penalties being scaled to account for geographic proximity in the early game and to see city state capture penalties decreased.

One of the few things I just about entirely hate in Civ5 is the Espionage system. This is just incredibly poorly implemented. Cases of point are:

• Instantly spawning spies and re-spawning spies after kills. Should instead have changed this to work like Caravans in BnW: There's a cap based on era, but you need to put resources into building spies if you want them.

Why must everything come at the cost of hammers ? One of the things I like about spies is that they are free! So much in this game is constraints/trade-offs, its nice to have something without having to actively build it or give something up for it. Why must we deprive the player of free ?

Complete agreement with everything else you said except for the above...and the fact that I like the espionage system. Your other points would be great improvements to it though.

I think yours is the post that is closest to how I feel.

On the point of religion, I think that they just need to be more complex and balanced. Each founder chooses 7-8 things and only 1 or 2 of those are unique to the founder. Also, there should be more religions than 5 on Standard size.

As far as the OP's question is concerned, I think we all know what needs changing.

The best thing about BNW is that the late game isn't anywhere near as boring as it was without ideologies and tourism victories.

But the worst thing remains the AI's insanity. Some modern made a Diplomacy mod, which, even if it didn't achieve everything it set out to do, was a step in the right direction. Friendships that last thousands of years shouldn't be thrown away quite so easily, and warmonger hate should last in one era only.
I kind of disagee with the more religions part because then the piety tree could be a lot more useless than it usually/already is.

Since this thread is a Civ 5 retrospective, I want to add 2 more points :

- Many flat boni
- strange tile acquisition system

1. Flat Bonus :
Civ 5 uses a lot of flat yield boni for buildings and Social Policies, e.g. the granary gives +2 Food and increases the yield of Food-Bonus-Ressources by 1. In earlier versions of Civ, there were usually only relative boni like +10% Food, +25% Gold. Comparing flat bonus against relative bonus, the flat bonus gives a higher yield for cities with small production and relative less for cities with higher production.

Example : +2 Food against +10% Food ... cities with production of 0-20 Food profit more from the flat +2 Food, all cities with 20 or more Food profit more from the +10% Food Bonus. (20 Food is break even.)

The problem is that cities without food production (e.g. Desert or Snow cities) can build a granary and also get the +2 Food, so the granary is more like a supermarket where you get 2 Food for 1 Gold (upkeep). It feels strange that the effect of a granary is not related to real food production.

2. Tile Acquisition

The new, static Civ 5 tile acquisition system looks nice in the beginning of the game when a city/capital slowly expands into unclaimed land. Later when many cities are settled next to each other the system becomes broken. Cities aquire new unclaimed tiles in a range up to 5 tiles distance, but these tiles do not have to be connected to the cities own territory any more. I have seen CS' owning many single tiles in distance 3-5 which were not directly connected with their territory. When multiple cities of a player aquire new tiles, it is possible, that for example City A aquires a tile in distance 5, which is maybe only 3 tiles away from City B. You won't notice that this tile belongs to City A until cities are conquered or traded ... then the map suddenly shows its broken structure ... Compared with the approved dynamic system of tile acquisition in Civ 3 / Civ 4, this new system just feels like a failed experiment ... I hope they go back to the approved system or at least try to fix the broken system ...
(Solution would be tile-trading between cities and a rule that a city can only aquire new tiles which are connected with its territory.)

Why must everything come at the cost of hammers ? One of the things I like about spies is that they are free! So much in this game is constraints/trade-offs, its nice to have something without having to actively build it or give something up for it. Why must we deprive the player of free ?

Complete agreement with everything else you said except for the above...and the fact that I like the espionage system. Your other points would be great improvements to it though.
Well that, I guess, partially comes down to taste, but for me, the whole point of a game system like Civ is that you have to make decisions: Do I do this or do I do that, do I build a Settler to go wide or do I build a Granary instead to go tall, etc. As I see it, that's the core of the strategic nature of the game. And this is what irks me about the way Spies just spawn - and particularly how they re-spawn - for free. Imagine how the game would be if you automatically got a certain number of military units, and if any military unit lost would re-spawn for free a couple of turns later. Wouldn't really work, would it?

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention that I sorely miss in Espionage system: Why are there no spy promotions and specializations? When a spy levels up, we should be able to focus them in different directions, just like we can with military units - tech stealing, sabotage, intelligence gathering, diplomacy, city state negotiations, etc. This, along with a more flexible level-up system that does not just center about stealing techs, would definitely have made the espionage system much more interesting and engaging.

Well that, I guess, partially comes down to taste, but for me, the whole point of a game system like Civ is that you have to make decisions: Do I do this or do I do that, do I build a Settler to go wide or do I build a Granary instead to go tall, etc. As I see it, that's the core of the strategic nature of the game. And this is what irks me about the way Spies just spawn - and particularly how they re-spawn - for free. Imagine how the game would be if you automatically got a certain number of military units, and if any military unit lost would re-spawn for free a couple of turns later. Wouldn't really work, would it?

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention that I sorely miss in Espionage system: Why are there no spy promotions and specializations? When a spy levels up, we should be able to focus them in different directions, just like we can with military units - tech stealing, sabotage, intelligence gathering, diplomacy, city state negotiations, etc. This, along with a more flexible level-up system that does not just center about stealing techs, would definitely have made the espionage system much more interesting and engaging.

To some extent these desires seem contradictory - promotion bonuses that let you choose which free advantage you get for no effort and little real risk aren't really a trade-off; unit promotions (an innovation I never much liked in Civ IV) suffer from the same issue to an extent, but they do at least suffer some risk in combat. Levelling up is tied to techs because this is the only spy activity that has any risk at all - spies can't be killed doing anything else except launching coups. I agree they should level up through other actions, but they should also be subject to risks.

To some extent these desires seem contradictory - promotion bonuses that let you choose which free advantage you get for no effort and little real risk aren't really a trade-off; unit promotions (an innovation I never much liked in Civ IV) suffer from the same issue to an extent, but they do at least suffer some risk in combat. Levelling up is tied to techs because this is the only spy activity that has any risk at all - spies can't be killed doing anything else except launching coups. I agree they should level up through other actions, but they should also be subject to risks.
Well to some extent I agree with you, although I would like to say that if you tie in promotions with Espionage Buildings they are not exactly "free" in the sense that this would be (on of) the benefits you'd get in return for the production and gold upkeep put into these buildings, similar to how the Baracks give your military units "free" promotions.

When that's said, I think the whole system should take a step away from the very passive mechanism favored by Civ5. Instead I want a system to revolve more around active actions - steal technology, gather intrigue, whatever - where each action then would have a chance of being caught, and a chance of earning some experience. I'm not saying all actions should be instantaneous - if you order the spy to gather information, that could keep him occupied for a number of turns for instance. This would open up for a much more flexible experience and leveling-up system for spies, where some actions would give higher experience but also have bigger diplomatic repercussions if the spy is caught (stealing technologies for instance, sabotage obviously if one goes down that road), while others would provide less experience because they are lower risk. One could even go one step further and go back to an espionage "currency" that you can collect by having your spy present in foreign cities and which you can then spend on different actions, if one wants something that guarantees that these actions are not actually free - while I could see some advantages to such a system, it's not necessary to do the other things however.

A promotion system for spies would allow for specializations which would make the system much more engaging imo. - level up your spies in Counterespionage to increase their chance for catching enemy spies and detecting their presence even when dormant, level up om Diplomacy to secure better trade deals (increased opinion) and faster warmonger decay, level up in Espionage to increase chance of tech stealing success, etc. For me, this would be fun, because it would give each spy an individual character and value, instead of them just being faceless individuals.

A promotion system for spies would allow for specializations which would make the system much more engaging imo. - level up your spies in Counterespionage to increase their chance for catching enemy spies and detecting their presence even when dormant, level up om Diplomacy to secure better trade deals (increased opinion) and faster warmonger decay, level up in Espionage to increase chance of tech stealing success, etc. For me, this would be fun, because it would give each spy an individual character and value, instead of them just being faceless individuals.

A game I often return to for ideas as to how Civ (and MOO) games should evolve is Distant Worlds. That has a very nice character trait system, reminiscent of the Total War games, but espionage missions are handled much as they are in Civ V - you set a spy a task in the character screen, and after a while it's completed or not.

The distinguishing feature of the system is that spies' tasks (the usual set - sabotage, steal tech, steal map etc.) can be assigned a duration out of three options; the longer the spy is given to complete his task, the lower his chance of detection (which may result in his death or not, and if detected will probably result in diplomatic repercussions). His traits - which are randomly-generated at the start, but improve as he performs related actions (getting better at assassination as he kills characters, for instance) - affect his success, and characters sometimes acquire new random traits over time.

I'll focus on what I think are some of the biggest flaws, because that's easier to talk about:

Social policy trees are completely unbalanced. Tradition is the best pick in the vast majority of circumstances. Piety is awful, honor is pretty poor, and liberty is okay but still nearly always outclassed by Tradition. Rationalism should nearly always be picked as soon as you have it available. A proper rebalancing of social policies, buffing the weaker ones, would make the game SO much better.

The game punishes expansion far too much, and the majority of terrain is so crap you wouldn't want to settle there anyway. In almost all my games I never settle a fifth city, and in a lot of them I don't even settle a fourth because there's no good terrain that's worth the settle left. War also rarely feels worth it. Sprawling empires in Civ 5 just aren't that much of a thing.

Religion may as well simply not exist on higher difficulty levels. An entire aspect of the game that's great to play around with in lower levels is just something that, for the most part, just passively happens to you on higher levels.

The AI is still awful. They have no idea what they are doing, especially in war. The pathing AI especially annoys me because it should have been fixed so long ago. After all this time, your units still magically know if a random other unit 10 turns away in the fog of war just so happens to be in your spot. The AI will reroute to a path that takes 20 turns longer if its initial path just so happens to be blocked for a turn.

Cities lack distinction or specialisation. They all feel roughly the same. There's a lack of depth in individual city management.

Science is too important compared to other yields. In order to win a culture or domination victory, you essentially have to win a science one as well (except you just don't bother with the spaceship). A science victory is frequently just the default option that you can walk into without much explicit planning in the early game beyond 'have as much science as possible', which you will be doing anyway.

Unbalanced tile improvements. There's not much choice involved on what to improve, usually. Farms are almost always the best option except on hills. Mines are usually the best option on hills. Really the only time I think about tile improvements is a hill adjacent to fresh water. Trading posts are just useless (except in forest). Bonus resources are boring and just feel like a slightly better normal tile. They should have an actual function like luxuries and strategic resources do.

Espionage is too shallow. I don't have as much of a problem with it as others do and I like the core features, but it's very bare bones and just feels uninspiring.

The AI are far too predictable in the World Congress. Everyone likes arts focus, everyone hates science focus. Everyone likes the collaborative projects. Nobody ever votes for anyone other than themselves. It's too easy to get free diplo points by choosing policies you like or passively voting for someone else's policy that's guaranteed to pass anyway. The World Congress also doesn't have enough options. Often there's nothing decent to actually propose.

Nowhere near enough information. The civilopedia is absolutely terrible and statistics, info on diplomatic relations, stuff that can be found in infoaddict but not the base game, are sorely missed.I still miss the globe and wonder and victory movies from civ 4.

Civ 5 feels like a game that's very close to becoming really great. A proper, well thought out balance patch / pseudo-expansion would help things SO damn much. Properly balance social policies. Expand the espionage system. More options in the World Congress with a smarter AI. A health system to make bonus resources important. More incentives to expand and build a larger empire. Less restrictions on religion at higher levels; at least give us a fighting chance. Buff trading posts, maybe rework them to work as cottages in civ 4, so there's more thought involved in improvements.

Of course, I could get a lot of this with mods. Unfortunately, Firaxis never bothered to let them work on Mac.

As for things I like:
I'll never be able to go back to infinite stacking or square tiles
The new religion system is massively improved, even though it could still be much better
Combat is massively improved. 1UPT makes things much, much more interesting, and it's actually hard to take cities, as it should be.
I really like the concept of social policies, even though it could be improved.
The mid-late game is in a very strong place thanks to ideologies and the World Congress keeping things much more interesting than they otherwise would be.
Cultural Victory is a really well implemented victory condition that requires lots of focus throughout the entire game.
It's generally just a very strong game.

I'll focus on what I think are some of the biggest flaws, because that's easier to talk about:

Social policy trees are completely unbalanced. Tradition is the best pick in the vast majority of circumstances. Piety is awful, honor is pretty poor, and liberty is okay but still nearly always outclassed by Tradition. Rationalism should nearly always be picked as soon as you have it available. A proper rebalancing of social policies, buffing the weaker ones, would make the game SO much better.

They've tried rebalancing over the years, and while there have been improvements (Tradition used to be much weaker relative to Liberty than Liberty now is relative to Tradition, and Piety is a lot more useful than it was at launch - although arguably it was at its best in G&K), there's a core design issue with the specific trees they settled on.

Tall vs. wide is a bad decision to force for an early-game tree because you're often not going to have enough information on how widely you can settle to know whether Liberty is a good choice; it was in the early stages of Civ V only because it gave you more benefit even for a small empire (by rushing an early GS and getting a fast second city) than Tradition did at the time.

Resource-specific trees are also problematic - especially for food and science, the two most important resources, but on the flip side also for faith because the value of that resource varies very much depending on both your strategy and your ability to get an early religion. Piety is much stronger on lower difficulty levels - the problem isn't with the tree so much as with the strategies required at higher difficulties, in which Piety comes too late to help with pantheons or getting an early religion and doesn't reward you enough if you have a late one.

The game punishes expansion far too much, and the majority of terrain is so crap you wouldn't want to settle there anyway.

For all of the game mechanic improvements with BNW, in some ways the game was at its best in G&K - wide vs. tall was as balanced as it has ever been in a Civ game, before BNW over-penalised expansion (with, ironically, a better mechanic for constraining expansion than the game's previous system), and both warfare and peaceful play were fully possible (with the series' typical preference for the military approach). Though I wouldn't say that war is punished so much as not sufficiently rewarded - puppet cities aren't especially useful, there aren't resources worth fighting over, and Natural Wonders are almost all at their best early in the game, and by the time you've built an army and captured one the major benefits you'd have got from it are lost.

In almost all my games I never settle a fifth city, and in a lot of them I don't even settle a fourth because there's no good terrain that's worth the settle left. War also rarely feels worth it. Sprawling empires in Civ 5 just aren't that much of a thing.

Religion may as well simply not exist on higher difficulty levels. An entire aspect of the game that's great to play around with in lower levels is just something that, for the most part, just passively happens to you on higher levels.

I think religion needs some way for multiple religions to coexist (i.e. benefits from multiple religions in a city, in Civ V only possible with one Piety policy and the Indonesian candi).

There should also be some ability to alter the properties of a religion you inherit (so that you gain a benefit relevant to your strategy in place of a benefit the founder receives, for instance) - this would also allow possibilities for religious tensions to emerge diplomatically. Reformation, for instance, could be an option open to any civ following a religion rather than just the founder (the current system is akin to saying that only Rome can reform Christianity, when in reality the Protestant Reformation happened in Germany).

Cities lack distinction or specialisation. They all feel roughly the same. There's a lack of depth in individual city management.

There does need to be more to city management (local public order, taxation, perhaps immigration/emigration along trade routes), but specialisation is certainly there - in most games you're likely to have trade cities and will probably eschew market-chain improvements in any city that doesn't produce useful amounts of gold; you're likely to concentrate your cultural national wonders in a single city; and you're usually going to need a particular city as a main production centre. This covers all the bases previous Civ games employed, without going the paint-by-numbers route of Rome 2 or Civ IV (i.e. stack all the modifiers of the chosen colour in the same place).

Science is too important compared to other yields. In order to win a culture or domination victory, you essentially have to win a science one as well (except you just don't bother with the spaceship).

This is raised as a criticism again and again, yet it's true of every single game in the Civ series (save, from what I've read here, Civ Rev) - and that includes the original Avalon Hill board game it's ultimately based on (in which science was the only victory). I'm not sure why so many people are hell-bent on Civ V 'fixing' this, if it's even a problem for a game that's fundamentally driven by progress up the tech tree. To some degree the game is less dependent on science than the previous iterations, since there's no direct relation between the rate of technological development and unlocking civics/governments or religion (obviously the higher-tech your production structures the more of each resource you accumulate, but then that was also true in the older games in addition to the policies and religions themselves being unlocked by technology).

The only difference between Civ V and the older games is that the combat system in Civ V makes it even harder for a lower-tech civ to beat a higher-tech one in warfare than it was in its predecessors.

Unbalanced tile improvements. There's not much choice involved on what to improve, usually. Farms are almost always the best option except on hills. Mines are usually the best option on hills. Really the only time I think about tile improvements is a hill adjacent to fresh water. Trading posts are just useless (except in forest).

I don't particularly agree with this - farms are usually better than trading posts because of the extra value of food relative to gold, but posts are important for cities with market chain buildings since these no longer give meaningful flat gold yields, and later in the game add useful science. And in forests they do compete with lumber mills, which is a meaningful decision.

I miss the number of improvements to choose between in Civ IV, but for the most part all those gave you were larger numbers of non-cottage options to ignore.

The main change I would make to the Civ V system is to reintroduce the original Civ irrigation mechanic, which would promote both settling along rivers more frequently (there can be a food bonus, but unless you have a river through grassland this isn't producing extra food over a typical grassland location, and the trade route bonus is only relevant for inland trade cities) and diversifying improvements. Of course, you then need to add another improvement type so that there are options other than cottages - making shrines a tile improvement might work, and/or culture improvements (already available for a couple of civs).

Bonus resources are boring and just feel like a slightly better normal tile. They should have an actual function like luxuries and strategic resources do.

The AI are far too predictable in the World Congress. Everyone likes arts focus, everyone hates science focus. Everyone likes the collaborative projects. Nobody ever votes for anyone other than themselves.

The first two are irritations of a clumsy diplomatic AI - the latter is crippling to gameplay, and worse is specifically hard-coded so that the AI can't actually vote for anyone else for, say, world leader unless bribed (and then will contribute the minimum number of votes). What's more diplomatic relations aren't considered in the calculation at all - a civ that has no preference either way on an issue won't vote for an ally to keep good relations, for instance, nor will a civ ever favour maintaining relations over voting for a measure they want even if that measure is unlikely to pass ("Yes, I knew science funding wouldn't pass and everyone would hate me for it, but since in principle it would benefit me if it did pass, I voted for it").

It's too easy to get free diplo points by choosing policies you like or passively voting for someone else's policy that's guaranteed to pass anyway.

That's fine - it's the way the real world works, and the way Civ IV did it as well (though better would be if there's only a significant diplo bonus if the measure wouldn't have passed without your votes). The problem is that it's very easy to 'game' when the AI doesn't do the same thing.

I'm not sure why so many people are hell-bent on Civ V 'fixing' this, if it's even a problem for a game that's fundamentally driven by progress up the tech tree.

It is tied to many of the problems you yourself have highlighted in this post.

Why are strategies reduced down to rushing NC?

Why are techs like longswords completely ignored?

Why don't players expand beyond a few cities?

Why do players pick Rationalism and nothing else?

Everything about this game is tied to science. If it isn't playing out the way you want it, you look at the cause.

Yes, I get the point; strong empires should have strong science, so what is the problem? It isn't so much science itself but how it is implemented. This game offers too many scenarios where it asks you whether you want to choose the science option or the non-science option, and the non-science option always fails.

Great Scientists or Great Merchants?

Education or Steel?

Rationalism or Exploration?

There isn't only one "fix", different types of games implement different types of systems, but I don't agree with "well that is how it has always been done in this franchise, so let's just accept it". The entire point of making a new game in a franchise (well beyond more monies) is to build upon and improve a game, not repeat the same mistakes.

It is tied to many of the problems you yourself have highlighted in this post.

Why are strategies reduced down to rushing NC?

Why are techs like longswords completely ignored?

Why don't players expand beyond a few cities?

Why do players pick Rationalism and nothing else?

All of which are problems with the design of those features, not with science - that's like trying to fix Tradition by reducing the importance of food.

The whole 'build one of X, get a resource-specific National Wonder' system is flawed and 50% boost is an absurd uptick in science at that game stage, especially with an early Great Scientist - College should either give a reduced bonus (or even one proportional to the number of libraries you control - perhaps you can build it without need for libraries, and it only produces +3 science as a base yield, but each library you have gives the National College city a +10% increase in science output) or be much later in the tech tree.

Longswords are a poorly-placed unit, and suffer from poor design of that part of the tech tree - i.e. there are military units outside the military path, leaving a crowded space where one of the options is going to be redundant. "Fixing science" won't even address this.

Players don't expand largely because of the National College rush plan, and because expansion is more often than not physically difficult due to limited space, city-states taking up much of the available area, and too-strong disincentives from going to war to capture territory in the early game. That has nothing direct to do with science beyond the existing need to fix the NC and the national wonder system.

Rationalism, as noted, is a poor idea in concept - policy trees should reflect an overall strategic focus, as Honor or Patronage do, not follow a 'one tree per resource' plan as most do. Rationalism is taken because everyone, whatever their strategy, gets equal benefit from advancing up the tech tree.

Everything about this game is tied to science. If it isn't playing out the way you want it, you look at the cause.

Everything about every Civ game is tied to science. If it isn't playing out the way you want it, but earlier incarnations were, you look at what the newer game is doing differently, not what it's doing the same way. Prioritising science over everything is not something Civ V is doing differently. On the other hand, Civ IV had nothing closely equivalent to Civ V's National College, nor did it have civic options that unconditionally boosted your science output.

Yes, I get the point; strong empires should have strong science, so what is the problem? It isn't so much science itself but how it is implemented. This game offers too many scenarios where it asks you whether you want to choose the science option or the non-science option, and the non-science option always fails.

True, but exactly the same was true of Civ IV. Cottages or anything that isn't a cottage? Science priority on the slider or gold? Steal tech or an action that isn't stealing tech? Trade resources you have for techs or for anything other than techs? Great People of all sorts could research techs as an option, and the only time that wasn't the optimal use for them was (a) if they were Great Scientists and so added a permanent yield boost if turned into superspecialists, (b) the tech on offer is a lower-tier tech you don't need (and even then, unless you have a payoff as significant as a holy building tech may be the best option), or (c) they'll indirectly generate more tech through commerce by founding a corporation.

Education or Steel?

Rushing University has been good strategy since Civ I (Civ V is about the first game where rushing Great Library isn't).

There isn't only one "fix", different types of games implement different types of systems, but I don't agree with "well that is how it has always been done in this franchise, so let's just accept it". The entire point of making a new game in a franchise (well beyond more monies) is to build upon and improve a game, not repeat the same mistakes.

As far as science is concerned, you'd need to fundamentally redesign what Civ is, both in concept (the whole point of a 4,000 year timeframe is that the civ develops over time, primarily through technological change) and in practice (the tech tree is the underlying framework of the game - science will always have priority over every other resource because, whatever your strategy and route through the tree, you need science to unlock every other resource-generating building).

Lots of good points in reply to what I said, I agree with most of it.

A few points I'd like to see more about:

The concept of 'it was like that in previous version too, therefore it's okay' - As Matthew said, new iterations should fix the issues, not just accept them. Why can't we have a game in the series with more meaningful options for improvements, for example?

On the specific point of science: Science could be made into something more passive in order to shift the focus onto other areas. Let's say in Civ VI, every civilization has a default science progression rate that will roughly aline with history. You can still choose to focus on enhancing science progression, but it doesn't have the same be-all and end-all effect. This concept might be crap, but the general point is wider than whether or not I can come up with a better science system off the top of my head; I'm not a game designer, but it seems rather silly to me to simply dismiss the concept out of hand of balancing science with other yields in a civ game.

With respect to city specialisation, I'll agree that maybe I exaggerated the lack of specialisation in Civ a tad. Yes, you'll generally try to have your culture generation in a specific city, your science generation in a specific city, your production in a specific city, etc. The problem is, at least in my experience, that 'specific city' just so happens to usually be your capital. If not your capital, whatever city has the highest population/population potential. Your science city is going to be your city with the most population, which also makes it your culture city so you can have as many specialists as possible, and there's a reasonable chance it'll also be your production city, again simply because it has the most citizens. I've never really had a city specialised in trade, I've never even heard about that until now, but maybe that's something I need to work on. Either way, although in some cases some cities may be better suited to some tasks than others, for the most part they feel very homogeneous and lacking in distinction. When you only have thee or four cities this becomes especially apparent.

The whole 'build one of X, get a resource-specific National Wonder' system is flawed and 50% boost is an absurd uptick in science at that game stage, especially with an early Great Scientist - College should either give a reduced bonus (or even one proportional to the number of libraries you control - perhaps you can build it without need for libraries, and it only produces +3 science as a base yield, but each library you have gives the National College city a +10% increase in science output) or be much later in the tech tree.
How about, swap it's effect with Oxford, and possibly attach a free scientist specialist to it.

Reminds me of embassies and open borders. Open borders should come with writing, and embassies with civil service. Not sure why they switched it, other than to push the more useful open borders deeper into the tree.

National Wonders in its current specification are a bad, artificial and unrealistic design. In previous versions of Civ, you had to build 4 or 8 buildings of the base type (= gaining experience in that kind of building type) to get the National Wonder or you needed a Great Person, a victorious army, etc. ...

In Civ5, National Wonders are meant as a help for OCC and small tall empires and so their costs are designed to make them less attractive for wide empires. So the EXPLOIT is to first delay expansion and go tall until you have the NWs you target and then expand ... If there were a real "mechanic" behind the increased production costs, the NWs would stop working everytime the empire is increased and you would have to build base-buildings and NW-updates for every new city ...

(One of the problems here is that players may build 1-4 cities on small maps but maybe 6-12 or more on huge maps. NW costs do not really scale with map size and expected count of cities, so NWs on huge maps can become significantly more expensive unless the player delays the necessary expansion.)

The design of National College is completely unrealistic since the bonus is limited to the city where it is built, the bonus is fixed and depends only on the city's own science production while the production costs increase with every city in your empire, e.g. in reality this would mean that production cost of National College in Washington, D.C. would be increased e.g. by a new founded fishing village on Hawaii while only citizens of Washington D.C. would be allowed to use the NC ... there is no direct interaction between the small village and its library and the NC so why should there be an effect, that NC only works when there is a library in the village ... This is completely nonsense, unrealistic and bad design.

You could change mechanism of National Wonders by allowing them only by completing certain social policy trees (SP-Finisher) like Tradition (which is designed for tall play) and drop the increasing production costs and the base-building requirement. However this might lead again to mandatory strategies like first finishing Tradition to get the NWs and then play as you like.

For myself (already years ago) I modded the National Wonders restrictions away. NWs are a welcome strengthening of the capital for every civ. And since every civ can build them, they are "neutral". ... I play to have fun and the original unrealistic design was always a fun-killer for me ...

Code:
<!-- No additional costs for cities -->
	<Buildings>
		<Update>
			<Where NumCityCostMod="30"/>
			<Set NumCityCostMod="0"/>			
		</Update>		
	</Buildings>

<!-- only one building needed -->
	<Building_PrereqBuildingClasses>
		<Update>
			<Where NumBuildingNeeded="-1"/>