Oh Spain, why do you torment me so?

darkace77450

Emperor
Every time I start a new game as someone other than Spain and find a Natural Wonder near my starting position I think to myself, "man, I could have just bought a Settler to plop a city right next to that thing. And with One With Nature for some I'd be getting some serious Food/Production/Gold/Science/Faith."

Then every time I start a new game as Spain I have to comb the world to find a Natural Wonder someone else found long ago and/or one that has been snatched up by a City-State. Spain is a ton of fun when the stars align, and rather generic when they don't. Unfortunately, they never seem to align for me.

That is the primary problem with Spain, though there's probably some code somewhere that makes it more likely than not that a natural wonder spawns near Spain. Problem is getting the "crappy" ones. If you get the one that gives you 20 food, well good game.

you can also check out the Spain maps in the ICL and DCL. Both are quite adequate

Well, its random.

I haven't had a natural wonder near me as germany. Until very recently few days ago on deity where I pulled a mt.fuji. My starting spot was pretty much meh for any of the strong pantheons so I decided to roll in one with nature pantheon. It compensated for my lack of stonehenge that I normally have while playing on King. :lol:

Its just that, you never know. Random is random. Can't do anything but keep on rerolling the maps until you get the wonder you want. Unless you alter the game by using a world builder program and plop all the natural wonders down completely surrounding your capital. :lol:

Ok now I want to check to see if I really can do that.

@OP: I have some Immortal Spain saves that use the mod in my sig if you want em. Although, imo the UA is about finding the NWs first as usually they are in sub optimal locations.

@Dushku: If you want more folks to play along with your saves I'd disable the map packs in steam. Anyway I gave your gbr a run.

Attachments

• t258SV.jpg
    t258SV.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 286
  • t258Demographics.jpg
    t258Demographics.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 172
I have map packs, so no problem for me. But I guess others will.

I am playing the game now...
Spoiler :
...and what is up with so many barbs? I am getting nothing done. My scout has hit six ruins and while one of them was population, two were showing barb camps, two were showing map, one for 75 gold, and one was for writing! Naturally I had to rush a library.

I've got two archers (one built and one I had to buy). I can't even get out a worker or settler because of so many barbs.

But the barbs are out of control. My city has already killed three, but I've got another 8 or 9 swarming around (including those axe guys). Three barb camps right around me as well :(

I'm taking a break for a few minutes lest I punch my fist through the computer screen.

Thats why the cs quests for natural wonders exist particularly when you havent found enough natural wonders.

I don't know what difficulty level you play on, but my game gave me two really good Spain starts recently (Emperor difficulty). Here's a screencap of the most recent one and it's initial autosave
Spoiler :
Before that, I had the map that was the focus of my Spanish Mesa Gibraltar series.
initial autosave
first playthrough of that map
refined playthrough

Yup guaranteed I would have reloaded the inital save and moved the Settler to the Grassland next to the mountain. Observatory, One with Nature, three resources, yup :lol:

Yup guaranteed I would have reloaded the inital save and moved the Settler to the Grassland next to the mountain. Observatory, One with Nature, three resources, yup :lol:

Even when you'll give up having a coastal capital + suffer tundra hexes in your starting radius?

Aye. I have no doubt everybody that tried that save did the same. I wasn't going to play the map, but after seeing others do it, I'm giving it a go. In fact, I have to scrap my current run because it had been so long since I've done an SV that I've forgotten some of the synergy needed to make it go quicker. It was a good start too; 1k science per turn achieved on turn 162, topping out at over 1400 not long after that.

The position of Madrid in the screenshot wasn't a particularly good food city until civil service, so I would've moved the settler north along coast anyway. (south is more tundra it seems) It is often advantageous to not settle capital on the initial spot and move settler. It is still gonna be available for an expo anyway.

Top Bottom