Logic of the game

FaohKi

Warlord
Howdy!

There is something bugs me in this game. I'm probably missing some points. So I'd be so glad if someone explain those things to me.

1- When someone steal from you and you choose to warn him, he immediately forgets how we were close and he turns from friendly to guarded/hostile etc. or even declares war against you. So, we shouldn't warn the thieves?

2- is about warmonger penalty

When you warn friendly/neutral civs, they became angry towards you and if they declare war on you, you can't capture their cities without getting Major Warmonger Penalty. Seriously, what's the logic of this? Isn't this put Human players in defensive positions all the time? Yes, giving advantages to AI is good but this isn't an advantage but a handicap to Human players.

Thanks.

Diplomacy is based off of a hidden point system that it selectively shows you. When you look in the diplomacy tab (or if you highlight them using EUI), you can see the positive and negative modifiers you have with that civilization.

If you have something like:

+ : They share the same ideology
+ : We asked for help and they provided it
+ : We're at war with a common enemy
+ : We have denounced the same enemy leaders

Chances are, telling people "Please stop spying on me" won't do jack to them. They'll still love you.

However, if it's something like

+ : We denounced the same enemies
- : We share a common border
- : They asked us to stop spying on them!
- : They backstabbed [Some other city a million ing years ago]

This might be enough to tip them over the edge. Especially if you're having issues with diplomacy modifiers & warmongering.

2 - The AI is also hit by warmonger penalties. Have you ever had a Shaka or an Atilla or a Montezuma in your game? Chances are once they kill the first person, everybody is chain denouncing them too.

The thing you have to remember is, if you capture a 10 pop city, it automatically reduces it to 5 pop. In game terms, this is like taking a (fake numbers) 1 million pop city and genociding half of them.

But even then, if you're smart about it, you can hide these warmonger penalties behind other positive benefits. We're at war with a common enemy and being smart about your targets is usually enough for nobody to bat an eye at your genociding.

Howdy!

There is something bugs me in this game. I'm probably missing some points. So I'd be so glad if someone explain those things to me.

1- When someone steal from you and you choose to warn him, he immediately forgets how we were close and he turns from friendly to guarded/hostile etc. or even declares war against you. So, we shouldn't warn the thieves?

You will receive a diplomatic modifier (defined somewhere in GlobalAIDiplomacyDefines.xml, I do not remember the exact value, but something around +/- 20), depending on your response. While it may seem strange from a human perspective, my guess is that it was implemented to add flavour to the interaction.

Now, the change to hostile/guarded simply means that you were already on the brink/verge between being friends and being enemies.... meaning that the AI in question already hated you for other things (most probably "we covet your lands")... so when you accrued that extra diplomatic modifier, it was enough to change his "approach" from Friendly/Neutral -> Guarded/Hostile (the exact algorithms for this is a little arcane, and depends on the exact leader and his approach weights and a couple flavour values IIRC).

2- is about warmonger penalty

When you warn friendly/neutral civs, they became angry towards you and if they declare war on you, you can't capture their cities without getting Major Warmonger Penalty. Seriously, what's the logic of this? Isn't this put Human players in defensive positions all the time? Yes, giving advantages to AI is good but this isn't an advantage but a handicap to Human players.

A warmonger penalty works like this:

- Upon the capture of a city, you will accrue a WM penalty with all civilizations you have already met. This value is calculated as:

Code:
int iWarmongerOffset = (875 * iEstimatedCitiesOnMap) / (max(iActualCitiesOnMap, 1) * iNumCitiesRemaining);

// Minor power targeted, half penalty
if (bIsMinor)
{
	iWarmongerOffset = (iWarmongerOffset * GC.getWARMONGER_ON_CITY_STATE_MULTIPLIER()) / 100;
}

// Where iEstimatedCitiesOnMap is the parameter TargetNumCities inside Worlds.xml
// Where iActualCitiesOnMap is the total number of cities on the map
// Where iNumCitiesRemaining is the number of cities the player being attacked possesses

As you can deduce, the fewer cities a player has left, the more WM penalty you will accrue from capturing one of his cities. Capturing a city state will yield only half the WM penalty however.

It is important to note that this penalty will also apply to the AIs as well. The warning/notification upon hovering your mouse over a city "you will receive a Major/Minor/Severe/Critical WM Penalty" is the warmonger level you will end up at... NOT the actual penalty you will accrue.

Spoiler :

Example:

- Let's say if you wish to capture a city, that capture will net you an extra 75 (completely arbitrary number for the sake of the example!) WM offset.
- You already possess a WM offset of 80 (arbitrary!)
- Let's say the threshold for a MAJOR warmonger is 150 (again, completely arbitrary! I don't have the time to trawl through all the xml files right now)
- Your resultant offset would become 155, which would exceed the MAJOR threshold
- Therefore, on your mouse-hover over the city, you will see the notification "Warning: capturing this city will give you a Major warmonger penalty!"

Your WM rating decays at a constant rate of 5 per turn (in other words, it will be worked off over a period of like 10-100 turns per city....).

The system is inherently very poorly tuned, as are many aspects/mechanics/features of the game), as Firaxis tends to follow a "let's just throw in random arbitrary values and see if it works" design paradigm.... sometimes it does (the degree to which is questionable), sometimes it doesn't....

Hope that helps!

- ThorHammerz

Wow! Guys thanks so much. That's very clear.

One more question if you guys don't mind; Minor Warmonger Penalty isn't that big deal then, right?

Btw, after my WM become '0' is it totally disappearing or people don't hate me but know that I'm WM and they don't become too close to my civ?

Again, thanks for great posts, really appreciated. :)

Mad AIs will react like that because they can and have a lot of military units and research. If you're nice to them though, they won't have a good excuse to attack you and try to conquer your cities. Acting rude to AIs will get them to aggressive against you and give them an excuse to attack you.

Wow! Guys thanks so much. That's very clear.

One more question if you guys don't mind; Minor Warmonger Penalty isn't that big deal then, right?

The actual diplomatic penalty you acquire from a Minor Warmonger penalty (note: these 2 penalties are not the same) depends on the leader. Some will hate you even for a little (read: Gandhi and Shaka), while some won't care unless you've been on a rampage (read: Genghis Khan and the Little Corporal).

Btw, after my WM become '0' is it totally disappearing or people don't hate me but know that I'm WM and they don't become too close to my civ?

You will need to be a little more specific/clear on what you're asking.

The actual diplomatic penalty you acquire from a Minor Warmonger penalty (note: these 2 penalties are not the same) depends on the leader. Some will hate you even for a little (read: Gandhi and Shaka), while some won't care unless you've been on a rampage (read: Genghis Khan and the Little Corporal).

Afaik, Assyria is a WM civ but he was hating me because I'm a WM :/
You will need to be a little more specific/clear on what you're asking.

I mean, if I become a WM for AI civs once, will they always see me as WM and act cautiously? Or, they will forget my WM actions in time for good?

Afaik, Assyria is a WM civ but he was hating me because I'm a WM :/

The tendency for the AI to go to war, the attributes of the civilization that makes it more or less pre-dispose to go to war (in the hands of a human), and the amount of hate the AI leader will give to other warmongers are 3 independent, divorced systems (of variables/equations).

I mean, if I become a WM for AI civs once, will they always see me as WM and act cautiously? Or, they will forget my WM actions in time for good?

They will forget if the war was between you and a 3rd party. Let's say Napolean watches you take 3 cities off Genghis Khan.

After about 150-250 turns (approximate), assuming you did not attack anyone else, your warmonger offset will eventually decay to number lower than the threshold for a minor warmongers. Napolean will no longer have any diplomatic modifiers towards you for declaring war.

However, players you have attacked in the past will still remember (IIRC), but not in terms of the warmonger penalty itself, but a separate, hidden counter that influences it's future decisions (i.e. whether to accept a DoF, among other things).

If you wage war in ancient era to steal a worker, they usually forgive and forget, and sometimes go as far as friendshipping you as soon as you sign peace.

If you take a city from them, they usually stay pretty pissed off. Especially if it was their capital, not so much if it's a random 1 pop forward settlement when they already have 10 cities (See the 3rd post's math)

There are two things you need to keep in mind when it comes to forgiveness.

1. Civs have a 'deceitfulness' modifier on them- A lot of civs will have a 'We had fought wars in the past but they seemed to have forgiven us' modifier after you sign a peace treaty, and they might even go as far as DoFing you. When you look at the diplomacy tab they will also hide negative modifiers.

but they still ing hate you. And they will backstab you when the peace treaty runs out unless you're overwhelmingly stronger than them (which you should be since you captured a city, but it doesn't always work out like that)

2. You can relieve warmonger by liberating captured cities. The bonus you get for liberation is huge. If I'm not mistaken it's literally the warmonger penalty, except completely reversed. This means that if you liberate a city state, it's the inverse equivalent of killing someone with one city left (so max penalty / max ++ modifier). It's huge.

(and if you revive someone they will love you forever no matter what you do to them)

Thanks to both of you guys. You're really very helpful.

After last post, another question came to mind but not sure if I should bother you more :(

Thanks to both of you guys. You're really very helpful.

After last post, another question came to mind but not sure if I should bother you more :(

You can always ask :goodjob:

Now, whether or not we will be able to answer your question is an entirely different matter :mischief:

And, as always, the PM system exists for stuff you want to ask in private (although I highly doubt you'll ever need it).

Thank you mate.

Sayya mentioned liberating CS'. Well, if I liberate CS from Venice or Austria, can I get Liberation Bonus?

Oh, didn't know that. So, while playing as Greece, Sweden or Siam, Venice and Austria are the most dangerous opponents.

Thank you DocRock :)

The thing you have to remember is, if you capture a 10 pop city, it automatically reduces it to 5 pop. In game terms, this is like taking a (fake numbers) 1 million pop city and genociding half of them.

But even then, if you're smart about it, you can hide these warmonger penalties behind other positive benefits. We're at war with a common enemy and being smart about your targets is usually enough for nobody to bat an eye at your genociding.
If I remember correctly, you will "kill" less people upon conquering a city if they are influenced by you (your culture). So if you are dominant over them, thus city won't lose any population, will you in this case get less WM penalty?

Top Bottom