Civilization 5 Raves Thread

Hi civ fanatics !

I read all the hate-threads on Civ V and fortunately, I did that AFTER buying the game.
Seriously...are you serious ? I'm a huge fan of civ, since the first one, and I've played all of them (on PC, so, not the Civ revolution opus) .

I really like the 4th of course but I feel this one is much better (than the 4th...for me the best will always be the 1st one hehe). Really !

In the 4th episode, I felt like you couldn't avoid war, and at war, you just had to build tons of units like crazy, loose most of them (the siege ones), then for every city you took, you had to leave some units in garrison, so you had to build even more units to keep your stack the same size, and take another city.

In this one, wars are much more fun ! You can do serious damage and take cities with 4 or 5 units if you choose them and manage them carefully, then you don't have to replace them (because most of the time, you don't loose them, like catapults in Civ4, at least some) , and you don't need to leave them behind !

Also you don't have to leave a military unit in new founded cities, just in case some marauding barbarian goes this way.

Also now you don't HAVE to micromanage your workers manually like you needed to in the 4 (the workers AI is still stupid but a bit less). It's still better to do it manually, but if you're lazy, auto-mode wil do a OK job .

I don't know, I feel that it's very good overall.

I have played only 17 hours according to steam, so maybe after a few more I will be bored to death, but as of now, I'm starting to really enjoy it.

Of course there are annoyances. The city states missions can be a bit intrusive sometimes, happiness management is a chore because you have to redo your luxury deals every 30 turns, moving a large number of units in case you plan to invade a continent, is also very boring, the overall pace is a bit slow but deespite all that (which can be moded I'm sure) I find it very good.

Any one else shares this feeling, or does everybody just hate it ?

I share your enthusiasm about the game. While it's hardly the best strategy game out there it's much more fun than any of the previous Civilization games.

Sigh.

I was once just like you: very enthusiastic and excited about the new game of Civ!

Then comes stage 2: Where you realise it has some flaws, buut there is still great potential!

Potential, potential... (echoes in the forest)

Enter stage 3: meh.

I'm glad you enjoy the game. I hope that feeling last a long time for you.

I really like Civ V a lot. While there are some bugs to it, I would rather play Civ V than go back to any previous versions.

I like it too. 500+ hours and while I am bored with the AI, multiplayer consistently provides new challenges and interesting situations.

I share your enthusiasm about the game. While it's hardly the best strategy game out there it's much more fun than any of the previous Civilization games.

Sorry but I find this commentary contradicts itself. Civ II and IV are easilly in any top 10 Strategy games of all times.
How can Civ V can be hardly a good strategy game and be above all the other civs at the same time?

ps. I know you said fun, but to be good a game has to be fun.

At OP: It's nice that you like the game, but read the critics thread (not the "hate threads", please) and you'll learn the reason we(the so called "haters") don't like the game. Sullla's walkthrough is most enlightining.

Been playing civ since about '96/'97 when I first got into civ 2. I was very apprehensive about buying civ v, read all the complaints here, tried the demo - not that impressed but I bought it just after christmas (collectors edition for half original price) as whilst I love civ iv, I've been playing it on and off for 5 years...

Gotta say I'm really enjoying it and its nice learning all the nuances and shifted focuses on things. I'm on my second game now after loosing my first game (was more like a practice game really) and although perhaps not as addictive as civ iv, its still addictive all the same.

I like most of the new features and I am finding it interesting trying to balance my economy with my military especially with the more tactical battle approach and cities that can actually defend themselves. I suppose my main gripe with civ v at the moment is why building and unit production times are so long compared to research times??? (playing on Epic speed).

Is it better than civ iv BTS? probably not (although at least it doesn't lock my pc up like when civ iv came out!). But its civ, its new and I'm enjoying it (35 hours on it so far) :)

In my opinion civ iv>civ ii (for its time at least)>civ v>civ iii (I won't class civ 1 as never played it that much)

Hi civ fanatics !

I read all the hate-threads on Civ V and fortunately, I did that AFTER buying the game.
Seriously...are you serious ? I'm a huge fan of civ, since the first one, and I've played all of them (on PC, so, not the Civ revolution opus) .

I really like the 4th of course but I feel this one is much better (than the 4th...for me the best will always be the 1st one hehe). Really !

In the 4th episode, I felt like you couldn't avoid war, and at war, you just had to build tons of units like crazy, loose most of them (the siege ones), then for every city you took, you had to leave some units in garrison, so you had to build even more units to keep your stack the same size, and take another city.

In this one, wars are much more fun ! You can do serious damage and take cities with 4 or 5 units if you choose them and manage them carefully, then you don't have to replace them (because most of the time, you don't loose them, like catapults in Civ4, at least some) , and you don't need to leave them behind !

Also you don't have to leave a military unit in new founded cities, just in case some marauding barbarian goes this way.

Also now you don't HAVE to micromanage your workers manually like you needed to in the 4 (the workers AI is still stupid but a bit less). It's still better to do it manually, but if you're lazy, auto-mode wil do a OK job .

I don't know, I feel that it's very good overall.

I have played only 17 hours according to steam, so maybe after a few more I will be bored to death, but as of now, I'm starting to really enjoy it.

Of course there are annoyances. The city states missions can be a bit intrusive sometimes, happiness management is a chore because you have to redo your luxury deals every 30 turns, moving a large number of units in case you plan to invade a continent, is also very boring, the overall pace is a bit slow but deespite all that (which can be moded I'm sure) I find it very good.

Any one else shares this feeling, or does everybody just hate it ?

I am glad you like the game. At 17 hours I was probably on the fence. Let us know how you feel about the game after 40 hours or 80 hours. I don't really like the game compared to IV but I haven't reinstalled IV and am still playing V.

Glad that you are enjoying it and hope you that you continue to do so.

I imagine the rhye's and fall version of civ 5 to be extremely great. looking forward to it

For some reason this thread completely eluded me; I had to look through the front page three times before I saw this thread. Ah well...

I personally like 1UPT, hexes, border growth, social policies ... many of the newly introduced mechanics! I say 'good riddance' to religion and civics, never really like those. At all.

Hey - love the positivity!

good stuff in no particular order:

1. Hexes are better than squares
2. 1upt is more fun then uupt
3. ranged attacks are cool
4. Graphics sure are pretty
5. Popups are gone - all those select "thing to build" popups that you'd have to pick before continuing that have been in the game since civ1 are gone. Just click the icon when your ready yeah!
6. None of my cities ever have their water supplies poisoned by other civs I'm supposed to be at peace with
7. organic border growth one tile at a time
8. can buy tiles
9. 100+ turn golden ages
10. You don't need x+1 different GP to start your next goldern age
11. excess hapiness is good - makes GA
12. Culture buys policies that make your civ better
13. units don't automatically die if they loose a fight
14. cities defend themselves
15. I like the natural wonders - even the silly ones
16. city states rock - its about time that civ finally had the concept of a minor civ
17. I like how when you are building a wonder you see it under construction
18. if you stay small you get more policies, more happiness and easier national wonders
19. you don't have to continually spam large numbers of units
20. I like how promotions are now rough or open
21. you have to choose between promotion or heal
22. coolest nukes of all civs
23. I like the strategic resource system
24. you can always rush buy and you can rush buy and have something different building normally
25. other civs react to your actions requiring you to think about the possible consequences of an action - you can't just take out a CS (kill or buy) with impunity or aggressively city block/spam or commit wanton genocide without diplomatic consquences
26. gold is separate from research and is more useful
27. I like the new cultural victory condition being tied to SP rather than having 3 super culture cities
28. I like the civ unique abilities - really adds flavour to each civ
29. unique units keep their coolness as they upgrade allowing for cool civ specific promoation strategies
30. great generals are cool
31. I like the global happiness system
32. some civs have 2 unique units - samurai and zero
33. great merchants give gold and city state influence so GM = CS Ally
34. I quite like the hand painted style of the wonder completion screens with the quote - nice

Edit:
35. no more global warming

hey there's alot of good stuff in this game - no wonder I like it :)

Came up with a few more.

* No more global warming!
* Nuclear plants no longer have the arbitrary chance of exploding.

I just want to say: I've played Civ5 after the patches and I now rather enjoy it. Good progress so far. Its faster & less buggy.

Keep the improvements coming at a steady rate and its happy days.

I'm having a great time with CiV. I like how you can get involved in diplomatic cliques. Me, Egpyt, Siam and Greece are all friends, all hate the same other civilizations and trade often with each other. I'm also interested in what's going to happen once our rivals are eliminated and we have to turn on each other.

I couldn't really get into Civ4. After reading about Civ 5, I knew the changes made really appealed to me, even though many Civ 4 vets apparently hate the game.

I've put about 80 hours into the game and I really enjoy it-it can be quite addictive to try a new plan and see it work.

I'm kind of torn about the diplomacy. On the one hand, it does often feel like I'm playing against humans, and the AI provides me interesting feedback. On the other hand, just like a human, the AI can be arbitrary, deceptive, and unreasonable. The AI becomes guarded without any provocation, and then refuses all but the most unfair trades, even when you're offering them twice the resources. I think diplomacy needs alot of attention in the next patch. I have some thoughts about way to tweak this, but this isn't the topic for that.

I just want to say: I've played Civ5 after the patches and I now rather enjoy it. Good progress so far. Its faster & less buggy.

Keep the improvements coming at a steady rate and its happy days.

Whoa, a SUPRISED (Sudden unexpected post right in some extinct discussion)!
But it's good that we have a topic to combine rant posts (which, fortunately, have lowered as of late).

Top Bottom