What happened?

MerchantCo

Merchant
Sorry for the vague title.

I was playing a game on Emperor, when I noticed that one of the civilizations (Germany) had a score of only four points. He had no cities, because his income was stuck at 0 and I had discovered the whole map.

Another weird part of this game was that nobody declared war on each other until 1100 AD, even though space was getting very cramped (22 civilizations, standard map). I checked through the messages to verify this.

Eventually, I conquered a city and gave it to Germany just for the heck of it. He got pissed off at me and declared war, even though I was in the Information era while he had just stolen Animal Husbandry.

What happened in that game? It was very abnormal.

@Skyrior: There was plenty of space for him to settle.

Score 4 means that he hasnt found a city.

I had this happen with a CS in G&Ks and I remember one guy posting this same thing happening with India (which also lead to him been unable to finish his domination game since India had no capital to conquer).

They must have started close enough to another civ and there were unable to plant a city due to proximity. I would bet that AI is not programmed to wonder to find a suitable location (speculation on my part but seems to make sense) but plants the capital on the spot.

This can be explained easily still because if you play a hotseat game in a large or huge map you get a warning (on the default number nontheless) that the number of players is unsupported. It might be the reason for this occurrence. Since I met it first time (the city state mentioned above) I reduce the civs by two.

@Skyrior: There was plenty of space for him to settle.

Under globaldefines, there is this:

<Row Name="MIN_CIV_STARTING_DISTANCE">
<Value>10</Value>

Could be that AI isn't allowed to settle within a minimum distance. I've had games where I've added a large number of Civs and CS's, and have had CS's just keep their settlers in place (Until barbs or I stole them)

Top Bottom