civs the AI seems to do well with

One would think that an AI like Catherine of Russia would perform better in this respect but for some reason Hiawatha almost consistently out-spams the Russians.

That's because of their start biases. Hiawatha starts in forest : Hammers!
Catherine starts near Tundra.

In both cases though, if the human is on Prince both of them do outrun their happiness bonuses provided by the "AI Default Handicap"

It's only on Immortal & especially Deity which gives big AI happiness bonus on top of that in which they'll stay in positive happiness. But the other AIs will be nearing Suma Tablets for everyone at the same time; so it's still not free, those two have had a lot less Golden Ages than the other AIs.

Like already mentioned Greece is a pain in the ass for me and is consistently one of the best AI civs whenever he appears. Ghandi too just because he's Ghandi.

I do not get the Ghandi thing. He never does well in my games at anything other than wondermongering. Then all the AI hate him and he gets DOWed and ends up pitiful the rest of the game...

I've heard some players say he's nuke happy, but the game always ends like 30 turns after nukes for me so in my experience no one uses them. Is his aggressive behavior actually high in Civ V? Or do ppl just hate him because he's a diplomatic weasel?

Hiawatha is almost always good in my games. I've actually lost my capital to him before on Immortal. I was just not prepared for the huge navy he thew at me.

Siam, if it survives, does well.

Korea, if it survives, does well in tech most of the time.

Russia but only if it does not locked in small (sub 4 cities).

Shaka/Rome/Alexander/Dido are 50/50 for me. If they wins their wars then yes, almost always good. About half the time though they ends up in a 2000 year on and off war with another war like Civ that stalemates for along time. Which sets both Civ's back hard.

I've never seen Brazil, Kamehameha or Ottoman do well, ever on any setting.

In my experience Ghandi is typically one of the top Civs and is very nuke happy on his enemies if he survives that long

I've never seen Brazil, Kamehameha or Ottoman do well, ever on any setting.

I just lost a sub T250 to kamehameha on diety duel.
So underestimated how quick a cultural victory can be achieved when there is only 2 civs around...

Also, for me, usually the Ottoman do quite ok, seen them on top of the chart more often than not.

Poland, Greece, Rome do usually fine in my books.

I was actually going to start a similar thread yesterday, but got busy at work.

I'm considering the following: some civilizations just click well with the Deity AI bonuses or have UAs which don't require intelligent use.

Your outline is why I find King to be one of my favorite of the more challenging difficulties. I'm just now making my way into Emperor and I'm realizing that I'm just not going to be able to build some of the wonders I would like regardless of how soon I unlock the tech.

Its understandable why the mechanics are made the way they are in the higher difficulties because as human players we're able to adapt and strategize a lot better, thus the Civ's have to be given a sizable advantage.

I'm guessing that when I use the Comunitas Maps there is some component in it that reduces this Civ's bias because when I use their maps I win nearly all the games versus vanilla.

obviously the start position has an effect but ive found the AI as Germany, Russia and Greece always to be strong and my main rival.

Germany just seems spam wonders and be a tech leader with a huge army....

At the other end of the scale the AI seems to struggle with Brazil and the Mongols

I was playing against Germany the other day and they spammed my territory and city with citadels. It was incredibly annoying and I was on the verge of rage quitting, heh.

Germany Citadel Spam (Image)

I just lost a sub T250 to kamehameha on diety duel.
So underestimated how quick a cultural victory can be achieved when there is only 2 civs around...

What type of map was it? Thinking on it he almost always ends up on an island alone off in the great beyond for 150 turns, often with a single city. I normally play on fractal or shuffle most of the time.

What type of map was it? Thinking on it he almost always ends up on an island alone off in the great beyond for 150 turns, often with a single city. I normally play on fractal or shuffle most of the time.

It was a duel map, so it's usually a small continent that you share.
I think that still Kameha got a high value for expansion, he usually likes to spam cities left and right.

Btw, it's also highly difficulty related: at higher level, the happiness bonus AI got let them spam endlessly without consequences. Hence why expansionist AI seems to do better on immortal+.

Top Bottom