Does the AI ever win anything but science victory?

danaphanous

religious fanatic
Has anyone ever seen an AI win conquest? Or Diplomacy? Or cultural victory? It seems to me like the only one they are capable of winning is science because they can't accomplish the others fast enough before space race ends everything.

I've played:

King
Emporor
Immortal
Deity

Small
Standard
Large
Huge

Standard
Epic

and never seen them succeed at any of the above 3 conditions or even get anywhere close. I was just wondering if anyone else had? :)

My last emperor game. Brazil runaway like crazy spamming wonders and bribing every city state, won cultural victory. This is before internet and without international games.

I've lost diplomatic victories to Alexander (god I hate him so much) and at one cultural victory to Darius or somesuch. Cultural victory is rare but I'm surprised you haven't been spun, or at least almost spun, by Alexander at some point.

Hmmm, okay. I guess it does happen then. thanks! That's interesting. :)

Honestly, Brazil never survives in my games because he keeps a weak army and only has like 2-3 cities. Everyone attacks him. I've heard he's a cultural powerhouse later though. I've personally never seen an AI get more than 150 tourism and usually not more than familiar on me.

As far as the: what? You haven't experienced Alexander stealing CS's? Yes, I have and his coups are especially annoying. I'm not sure how he manages to steal my perma-allies with 250 influence sometimes...lotta money? However, he's never gotten more than half of them on my games. I'm often playing for CS's and am able to keep a few from him. The one game I was struggling with this he was nice enough to tick everyone else off too so I just decided to say "yes" to one of those endless "declare war" requests against him. Then I killed him and restored my allies. I could see him being awful though if he was far away and on one of his rampages...this has not happened to me though. Every game he's been far away he's been kept in check by warmongers so I guess I've gotten lucky. I usually have a ton of gold though, so it helps me hold on to a few CS's regardless. Is it difficult to "fix" the world congress elections sometimes then? In my games I can usually massively buy out a couple CS's right before the vote and no one has the time/money to recover them in time. This then gives me another few turns to keep plodding along until the science victory ends things.

Several humans have lost a conquest defeat in early game; but the computer doesn't play out the rest of the game to show how it won. So the only way a human would see an AI win domination victory is if they still had a city left after losing their capital and the AIs let them live. (Fat chance)

AI isn't optimized for any of the victory conditions (except for score Time victory); but AI Greece's behavior if the human doesn't stop them would evenually lead to Diplomatic victory even if they forget about Diplomats & Globalization tech.

Brazil's UA is so powerful, even the AI is a candidate to win cultural victory unless a human takes counter measures.
On the rare occasions that the same AI that picked Sacred Sites also picked two follower beliefs that produce religious buildings, that would also be candidate.

Not as much as science. So I manually changed the culture flavour higher on a few Civ, but also upped the archaeology flavour on a lot of civs I felt would be good culture win candidates

Yes, but first a suggestion: I often decide what KIND of game I want to play during set-up and so I enable only 1 Victory Condition. And yes, this does make the AI change it's play to accommodate the VC that I selected. It's a lot of fun going for a cultural victory when that's the only VC enabled. If you want to brawl a lot I suggest the always entertaining 'Domination Victory only' selection.

I've got over 1,300 hours played, and YES the AI has won every single type of Victory Condition possible (minus 'Time' which I always disable). I play on Emperor, Immortal (mostly), and Diety, standard map and speed. I had a great game a few months ago where I had to really strategize in order to deny the AI a cultural victory and get it myself. I've also had an Indian tribe win a Diplo victory, etc. etc.

I've been conquered by Attila. Also I think Siam would have gotten Cultural victory once but I quit around Atomic era. AI Siam is nuts.

Top Bottom