Civilization V Theme Contest: PEACE EDITION - First Semi-Final

What is the best peace theme among the seventeen?

• AMERICA - America the Beautiful

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • FRANCE - Cancan

• THE NETHERLANDS - In Naam van Oranje

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • SONGHAI - Gambia Folk Song

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • BYZANTIUM - Phos Hilaron

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • DENMARK - Drømte Mig en Drøm i Nat and Nobilis Humilis

• MAYA - Traditional Melody Fragments

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • SWEDEN - Du Galma, Du Fria

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • AUSTRIA - Requiem Mass in D minor, Still Still Still

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • ENGLAND - I Vow to Thee, My Country

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • JAPAN - Rokudan no Shirabe

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • RUSSIA - Capulets and Montagues

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • BABYLON - Hurrian Hymn

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • CHINA - Goa Shan Liu Shui

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • KOREA - Arirang

• PERSIA - Morghe Sahar

• THE AZTECS - Cora Mitote Song from Santa Teresa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CivLuvah

Deity
CIVILIZATION V THEME CONTEST
PEACE EDITION

FIRST SEMI-FINAL

This big inspired by the Eurovision Song Contest. Each civilization gets "represented" in this big poll. Since each civilization has a peace and war theme, the big poll will be divided into three editions: The Peace Edition, the War Edition, and the Overall "Grand Finals" Edition.

Each edition has two semi-finals and a final. The final will be composed of the top twelve themes from each semi-final. Unlike the Peace and War Editions, the Overall Edition will be a combination of peace and war versions. Each civilization would still be "represented". Per civilization, between the two versions (peace and war), the version which has the most number of votes gets to be represented in the Overall Edition. Example: Between the two versions of Washington's theme, the peace version gets the most votes. Therefore it gets to "represent" America in the Overall Edition.

The theme with the most number of votes in the Overall "Grand Finals" Edition wins the title of "Best Theme" in the entire game. There will be also winners for "Best Peace Theme" and "Best War Theme".

The big poll itself would last three weeks, with each edition occurring per week.

This is the first semi-final of the Peace Edition of the Civilization V Theme Contest.

Civfanatics, start voting now! Please tell your friends to vote, so there won't be a tie in the semi-final. Thanks! :D

Qualifiers will be announced on JULY 18, WEDNESDAY

Erratum:
Spoiler :
Wrong name for the Swedish theme *"Gamla", not "Galma"

Here are the themes:

01 AMERICA - America the Beautiful

Link to video.

02 FRANCE - Cancan

Link to video.

03 THE NETHERLANDS - In Naam van Oranje

Link to video.

04 SONGHAI - Gambia Folk Song

Link to video.

05 BYZANTIUM - Phos Hilaron

Link to video.

06 DENMARK - Drømte Mig en Drøm i Nat and Nobilis Humilis

Link to video.

07 MAYA - Traditional Melody Fragments

Link to video.

08 SWEDEN - Du Gamla, Du Fria

Link to video.

09 AUSTRIA - Requiem Mass in D minor, Still Still Still

Link to video.

10 ENGLAND - I Vow to Thee, My Country

Link to video.

11 JAPAN - Rokudan no Shirabe

Link to video.

12 RUSSIA - Capulets and Montagues

Link to video.

13 BABYLON - Hurrian Hymn

Link to video.

14 CHINA - Goa Shan Liu Shui

Link to video.

15 KOREA - Arirang

Link to video.

16 PERSIA - Morghe Sahar

Link to video.

17 THE AZTECS - Cora Mitote Song from Santa Teresa

Link to video.

Promote your favorite! :D

Neat idea. Since the poll seems to allow to select more than 1 thing (I'm not gonna try it out cause I would actually like to genuinely vote! =P), how many songs can one vote for?

Well, I narrowed it down to 3 (which I think is a fair amount) - England, Russia and Japan gotta be my favorites out of this batch, although it was really hard, with just about all my favorite themes stuck together in this group. ;)

At least it'll make the next batch easier.

Bah, seems best themes (Carthage, Arabia, Iroquois, Egypt, Polynesia) are in group B
Voted Songhai/Babylon,
I think that hurrian gymns are majestic treasures, ancient music.. Also industrial era babylon reminds me this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW4UUfiP1Xk

PS. I think that this forum have too much Sweden/UK patriotic people hehe. You wont find many Gambia people here to vote for Songhai, but i think Songhai/Mali music is awesome.

As for Russia i think they chosen quite harsh theme, there much more beautiful and gentle ones, not everything in Russia so dramatic. Russia peacefull sounds most evil and heavy among 34.

I voted six, no less. I love Civ 5 music SO MUCH that I couldn't really decide. Anyway, my vote was:

-England (hands down one of the best, both peace and war)
-Japan (soothing, relaxing, flawless)
-Russia (I like it because it's sinister and enjoyable at the same time. The imitation of horse's hooves give a feeling of neverending Russian steppe)
-Denmark (really Viking-ey)
-Sweden (this is one of the best interpretations of Swedish anthem ever)
-the Netherlands (this joyful tune corresponds well with the Dutch Renaissance bourgeoisie and mercantilism).

I could have voted Persia, Byzantium and Austria as well, but I prefer their war themes.

PS. I think that this forum have too much Sweden/UK patriotic people hehe. You wont find many Gambia people here to vote for Songhai, but i think Songhai/Mali music is awesome.

I agree, it is epic. You can literally imagine the beginnings of a civ, from a wandering settler to a set of cities to an Atomic Empire, in the Songhai theme, yet it is quite humbling at the same time.

Songhai actually was in the top 6 of mine, but it together with Byzantium and Sweden didn't make it.

I want to note that I think that I like Russia's theme the best out of the 3 I chose. I don't think it's "harsh". It is dramatic, and has this melancholy to it, but I think that's why it stands out so much to me; it represents Russia perfectly, since the country IS based on a lot of dramatic happenings and history, and has gone through 3 different types of empire. ;)
I haven't voted out of patriotism, as well, I just really like the song and it perfectly fits Russia, its history and its people.

England's song is another great composition, I think. It has not only this sense of royalty going with it, but in the "stronger" parts some sense of adventure - I can't help but imagine the wide vastness of the sea. I don't like the peace theme as much as the war theme (which is my absolute favorite song from the entire game), but it still is a beautiful song, and I think it ties very well with the naval ties of the country.

Lastly, my choice for Japan is also easy to explain. Although I do think it doesn't fit well with a warlord like Oda Nobunaga, it is such a beautiful and peaceful song. Serene. :3

Usually I prefer war themes,but I also like the peace theme of some civilizations . My choice here are:

-Netherlands;
-Maya;
-England;
-Korea;

- Accidently only voted one :p.

I have always enjoyed Russia's though. (Surprising they only have 4 votes in my mind)

I would have also voted for Austria's and England's had I not done so by accident.

Where the heck is Greece?

person who does not read long original posts spotted :scan:

34 civs devided into 2 groups, 17 each
12 finalists (6 from each group) will meet again in final

PS. I still cant believe that so earth-connected, so civilisation , and so beautiful theme like Songhai have so much less votes than, lets say, Sweden. I like them all, but... mabby it's just me .....

Agree with smallfish, others are much less Epic and soul-touching than Songhai one....

person who does not read long original posts spotted :scan:

34 civs devided into 2 groups, 17 each
12 finalists (6 from each group) will meet again in final

PS. I still cant believe that so earth-connected, so civilisation , and so beautiful theme like Songhai have so much less votes than, lets say, Sweden. I like them all, but... mabby it's just me .....

Agree with smallfish, others are much less Epic and soul-touching than Songhai one....

I don't see it anywhere in the OP that the Peace themes will be divided into two polls. All I see is that there will be polls for Peace and War themes, then a grand final.

Care to point it out for me?

I love the Austian, Chinese, Aztec, and Russian ones. I don't really like the sweddish one though one of only hangups for playing that civ(the begining is what I don't like the middle is good.)
Also I hate to be nitpicky but the Russian music is Prokofiev's Montagues and Capulets not Capulets and Montagues.

Top Bottom