Into the Renaissance Help please :(

gunslinger6792

Warlord
Decided to play into the renaissance for the first time on warlord to get the hang of it (i usually play on king). things go well at first i start off as the celts and soon find London. Lizzy quickly gets fiesty with me so I rally my skirt clad warriors and quickly take nottinham and then london. after doing this i explore build temples, build the national college, and make allies out of 2 city states. its around turn 100 i realize my score sucks. I have the best tech and 2nd most amount of land but most countries have twice my score. my religion pressure is only 27 while many countries have 70 or even 90 pressure. Austria just bought the Vatican and every other city state they can find. Other than invading france I don't know what to do anymore. So if anyone can offer advice or ideas i'd love to hear them.

Spam rush them basically

Celts / England are a hard starter. Unless you think creatively you're in for a long war and no way to get a grip on the continent.

I like to send a settler over seas, maybe spain, to get a foot hold there, and an easy way to gain points - namely the taking of religiously different cities

Zerging is a gaming term for "attacking with alot of little expendables with the hope of winning through sheer attrition".

Next time through, don't lean so much on science. Carpet opponents with dozens of lesser units and a few siege.

Taking cities with a different religion than me will hard. For now all the cities with different religions are extremely far away. Should've gone with austria or theodora

Taking cities with a different religion than me will hard. For now all the cities with different religions are extremely far away. Should've gone with austria or theodora

Or rushed to get a settler in Spain.

England is only good for 2 cities really, Ireland for another. Capture London and you have your two cities there. Ireland will give you gold and marble (if I remember correctly)

If you manage to settle near Gibraltar, you have an excellent staging point to hit North Africa and the east (much better than England anyway)

If you're good, you can control the entire naval traffic in that area too (not that it helps much)

Just try to keep spain happy. Or wipe them out... and keep France happy.

Either way, keep the neighbours happy and focus on racking in those religious points.

Europe is a hard area to gain points in, due to the lack of close targets

May want to try an easier Civ first and get a hang of the scenario. Assuming a historical map, the English and Celts have it hard, in my opinion, due to the fact that they're somewhat isolated and don't have an easy time fighting religious wars. By far the easiest source of VPs in this scenario is through conquering cities of a different faith (which unfortunately means this scenario can oftentimes boil down to war, just like many of V's scenarios). I know from experience that the Almohads are easy, and Austria is said to be easy to play as well.

May want to try an easier Civ first and get a hang of the scenario. Assuming a historical map, the English and Celts have it hard, in my opinion, due to the fact that they're somewhat isolated and don't have an easy time fighting religious wars. By far the easiest source of VPs in this scenario is through conquering cities of a different faith (which unfortunately means this scenario can oftentimes boil down to war, just like many of V's scenarios). I know from experience that the Almohads are easy, and Austria is said to be easy to play as well.

though, you don't have to war to win.

Gain control of a holy city, send Caravels off to the new world, win the HRE vote. All things you can do to get lots of points without fighting.

As per the OP -

Get motivated for ship building in your game. the English/Celts have an easy time getting all of the Caravels to the new world for a lot of points.

If you're not 100% interested in a naval war (generally that means dropping a settler near the Almohads and using that as a base for a fleet of Frigates), then head to Acoustics and build a few wonders.

Acoustics triggers the Protestantism movement early, so you can trigger that and either stay Catholic while letting the continental AIs switch to Protestantism (France does this easily even if he's not converted) or find a way to get close to the Protestants and switch yourself over (Celts/England have a hard time getting converted).

Once some Protestant cities start existing on the mainland, you can go forth and conquer them for points (unless you flipped - in which case, target the Catholics).

though, you don't have to war to win.

Gain control of a holy city, send Caravels off to the new world, win the HRE vote. All things you can do to get lots of points without fighting.
Yeah, there's other options for VPs, but in my experience, fighting holy wars brought in a lot more points. And since other civs will fight them as well (the Mongols always seem to steamroller the Russians and get a lot of points, for example) you might not end up with a choice.

My experience so far as the celts on emperor for the achievement... ;P

1.) Go commerce, sail around making easy coastal CS money with the great admiral.
2.) WTFBBQ steamroll Elizabeth with 8x Pictish Warriors around turn 20 (thank you holy warriors)!
3.) Scratch my head for a while.
4.) Decide to sail halfway across the map and attack Catherine (lol).
5.) It works.
6.) Backstab Sweden for cash
7.) Start buying up city states, pledging protection, denouncing for influence, and generally pissing off my neighbors.
8.) Get declared on simultaneously by every Christian civ. (Yikes!)
9.) Fight a bazillion front war with my hopelessly spread out empire.
10.) Make friends with all the Muslim civs (again, lol).
11.) ????

The biggest thing is to understand that victory conditions are different than in a normal game. You get victory points for:

1. Control of your religious holy city or Jerusalem (can be allied or conquered)
2. Taking over cities of a different religion (higher population is more points)
3. Sending caravels (and conquistadors if you are Spain) to the new world

That is it. You do not score points for normal things like science, population, land, wonders built, etc. You only score points for the goals set in the scenario. If you are the Celts (Catholic religion) you score no victory points for taking over English or French (also Catholic) cities. You have to take over Muslim or Orthodox cities.

You do not score points for normal things like science, population, land, wonders built, etc. You only score points for the goals set in the scenario. If you are the Celts (Catholic religion) you score no victory points for taking over English or French (also Catholic) cities. You have to take over Muslim or Orthodox cities.

That's not true, you get points for normal things like population, science, land etc. aswell, it just barely matters compared to the points you get for the special victory conditions - not neccessarily true for Austria, they can get extremely large with their UA in this scenario.

Top Bottom