Where is the grasland?

Bob_

Warlord
Is it just me or did grasland nearly entirely disappear? The last 10 games I started, there was an awful lot of jungle (like 40-50% of the land mass) then desert and plains and directly adjecting to it another awful lot of tundra.

There is just no land to settle like that - not early on when i do not have civil service, hence, no food. This is really annoying, because I restart so often when I find I just do not get a foot in the door after 50-75 turns.

1) Have you too noticed the increase of jungle and tundra and a drastical reduction of grasland?
2) is there a setting (rain, temperature, age of earth? I do not know how they influence the map) to increase the amount of grasland and degrease that stupid jungle??

It's nice to have a long river, grass or flood plain, metal/gem luxuries and salt in a start location.

Alot of grassland isn't great though because generally there is not alot of production scattered in it, and it makes inexperienced players plop 10 farms so they come here to complain their cities are all unhappy and everything take 50 turns to build.

Most map settings on advanced can be toggled arid rainfall, but I'm guessing you're consistantly playing a leader with a jungle "flavor start". If that's the case, toggle "disable start bias".

I have noticed a large amount of jungle titles, especially on civs that have nothing to do with jungle. I swear my last 5 games, Austria was surrounded by jungle. I just started a game as Sweden and was surrounded. The start bias is still on for me though

I'm not sure Austria has one... every time I've played her I start in half-tundra, which isn't bad, but I don't see Austria being a Canada-like or Yakutia-like place.

Most map settings on advanced can be toggled arid rainfall, but I'm guessing you're consistantly playing a leader with a jungle "flavor start". If that's the case, toggle "disable start bias".

That not the thing. I ve tried Carthage often for example. It is not like i always start in the jungle, but just that the map is full of it and there is little good space to settle.

Can anyone of you tell how these mapsettings (temperature, rain) influence the map? perhaps then i can make the maps more favorable to me

That not the thing. I ve tried Carthage often for example. It is not like i always start in the jungle, but just that the map is full of it and there is little good space to settle.

Can anyone of you tell how these mapsettings (temperature, rain) influence the map? perhaps then i can make the maps more favorable to me

Higher the rainfall, more jungles! Thats what I've noticed. Leave the rainfall level at normal (or the default setting, don't remember if it has another name) and there won't be too many jungles and marsh.

jungle is not so bad if there are bananas. 2-3 bananas with a granary will grow that city pretty fast. usually there are a couple hills, mine those then start TPing all the the rest of the jungle...by the time you get universities the cities will be big and all those tiles will get +2 science.

I've played as Attila several times and I always start in a grassland/jungle mixture.

Hmm...I guess I have noticed there are more jungles, but they seem to be more spread out. I haven't had any problems, but I've only played 2 games so far.

In the end, "random" is random. Until you have a "sample of 100,000" maps it's impossible to determine which "starting positions" are more apt to appear without "starting bias".

Anyway, as long as it isn't your capitol, no one's making you settle in jungle, but then why wouldn't you want to for the science.

I am playing on emperor and that is really easy to win. I dont need the extra science but all cities there dont grow and cannot build anything. I just like big cities that are production beasts :)

Top Bottom