What would you do if you had to live in 1950s America?

I would make money betting on sports and invest in 3M, IBM, US Tobacco, NCR. Some years later, get Warren Buffet to manage my money.

J

Form a repeating cycle where I make billions, leave it to myself in the future to take back, and reinvest in the 1950s. In a few lifetimes acquire all the money in the world. Buy earth. Become emperor.

So Rob wants me to get lynched.

The 1950s would completely suck for me, since I'm gay.

So yeahh.

There were no gays in 1950s America.

j/k

Seriously, never ran across a person who was openly gay until High School and that was just some bi-sexual girls. Are bi-sexuals gay?

I could see that you might have an issue.

But the 50s were great.

You will receive a fully paid off and furnished suburban house to live in, large enough to start a family but small enough that it wouldn't be unusual if you didn't.
If you didn't get married, it would be thought unusual, and it would be talked about. The same is true if you didn't marry while young, say straight out of high school.

If I were transported back to 1952 (and had powers of persuasion I currently lack) I would convince executives at GD Searle that not only was the contraceptive pill effective, there was also a huge demand for it. I would also strongly encourage them to establish a bullet-proof patent for the drug.

Probably try to recreate Mad Men to the best of my ability.

Cutlass said:
You aren't African American. Most of the danger was to the locals, not the immigrants.
I'm still quite emphatically not white something that would have posed as much a problem for me in South Africa, as it would in the United States. Now I grant I might not have been lynched because I'm not African America (although that's not a sure thing), I doubt the good white folk would have welcomed me either. I suspect I'd have been shunned (at a minimum) and more than likely removed from the suburb with whatever tools were available to effect that. Now if I did something truly outrageous like have a relationship with a white women, I'd expect to be banged up quick-smart for rape.

with $300 buy as many cheap tablet I can get (China brand), download many free classical book from guttenberg also so many light games, make a demonstration over there, and sold it in a very huge price.

After I get rich, I go to other country that I like better, like Japan, New Zealand, Indonesia, and spend the rest of my time here, as a book writer, predicting something that I already know from my decent historical knowledge writing as anonymous.

Shouldn't it be that we only know things that happened up until that time, since it means we are living like the locals. I sure wouldn't mind going back to that time, who knows I could buy some sports cards and just keep them until they become very much a good investment and keep them protected.

I'm still quite emphatically not white something that would have posed as much a problem for me in South Africa, as it would in the United States. Now I grant I might not have been lynched because I'm not African America (although that's not a sure thing), I doubt the good white folk would have welcomed me either. I suspect I'd have been shunned (at a minimum) and more than likely removed from the suburb with whatever tools were available to effect that. Now if I did something truly outrageous like have a relationship with a white women, I'd expect to be banged up quick-smart for rape.

Well, I can't entirely argue with you there. It was a time period where things were bad, but there was also better on the horizon. Having grown up in a large industrial suburb in the 1970s, there were a few dozen blacks in my highschool. A friend of mine who grew up in a smaller and more rural suburb at about the same time had no blacks at all in his town. Still, if things weren't good, there were a lot of times and places where they were worse.

You could settle in Hawaii and get away with it.
Anyway, this does sound a little over the top, like you've been watching too many films.

I'd be out of my mind with contentment. Look! People going around fully-dressed, with manners! Main streets that are in-use, that haven't been destroyed by automobile sprawl (yet). Culture shock for me would be minimal, I think; I was raised on music from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, and collect radio broadcasts of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. I purposly go for old-fashioned furniture and aspire for a home free of plastic and digital interfaces. Give me ticking clocks and rotary phones!

The biggest hurdle for me would be segregation, I suppose. I live in a town that's 80% black, so it's hard to imagine.

As for what I would bring, easy -- I'd bring books I'd want to read but which haven't been published yet.

If I was given the job that is roughly analogous to my current one, that would mean I would be working for Charles Draper at the MIT Instrumentation Lab. So I guess I'd just keep doing that, and work on navigation equipment for the Apollo Program.

Quackers said:
Anyway, this does sound a little over the top, like you've been watching too many films.
Segregation did not exist. Sundown towns were not a thing. Banks lent to everyone equally. Redlining didn't exist. Job discrimination wasn't a thing. I'm just imaging this stuff. White people were actually really caring about their fellow black countrymen and never meant them harm. No, sir. None at all.

Quackers said:
You could settle in Hawaii and get away with it.

That'd be the last place I'd want to go. Hawaii had its own version of segregation aimed at Hawaiian Americans.

Cutlass said:
Still, if things weren't good, there were a lot of times and places where they were worse.
Yes, I suppose being a European Jew during the Holocaust was technically worse.

The big question is - are we allowed to change history, or are we forced to be an observer?

I mean, I can probably quietly accumulate substantial wealth based purely on knowing some soon-to-be-big corporate names, retire to a remote island, and not impact history in any non-butterfly ways. Or, I can accumulate the same substantial wealth, and use it to influence a few elections, or in extreme cases induce some select individuals (Richard Daley? George Wallace?) to stay on the sideline of history via an early exit, and see what results.

You could take out patents on things you know will be invented. You don't even have to be able to design them yourself. Just be able to describe them well enough so that no one else can invent them without crossing the patent.

You could take out patents on things you know will be invented. You don't even have to be able to design them yourself. Just be able to describe them well enough so that no one else can invent them without crossing the patent.

I thought Apple had a patent on that technique? :mischief:

Top Bottom