Nonviolent Gandhi: A Monarch game without military units

1.) Thanks for inspiring me to get an account here, even if I'm horrible at the game. ;)

2.) Thank you for showing me a way to win with a non-violent method. I was beginning to despair at the thought of trying (though I play mostly OCC and you didn't) because no method seemed to work and I always needed a military and at least one war to come close to winning.. though I havn't yet, at least I made it to 2050 AD that way. ;)

Thanks for the inspiration to try yet again to win non-violently..

I have still some small problems with fighting with AI on prince and you managed to get around wihtout no military on monarch. Impressive... I almost cant belive it.

Tulx

Ah yes, I read it about a year ago. Nice! :goodjob: Indeed, although I am pretty sure that it wouldn't work on Warlords and BTS. Anyone interested in proving me wrong? :smoke:

PS. I also wonder what was Kylearan's score for that game... ??

wow I never knew of that site, and then I click your link and read every thing you ever posted!!! You're my hero dude! I love the one where you buy all your research that's hilarious! Just to show how awesome I think that was, I'm ending EVERY SENTENCE IN THIS WHOLE POST WITH EXCLAMATIONS!!!! And also, I will add annoying capital letters for emphasis so you can mentally picture me leaning forward and shouting like a moron!!!!! I'm going to sign up at that site and take part in the action!

Hey i just read ur game. quite nice, well done (even if it is now some years later :) )

Just a thing about your protection: Wouldnt it've been easier avoiding war if you were the strongest civ's vassal?

lz14 said:
2, have some civs with the aggressive trait. In my experience no matter what the relation they'll attack me. But you might steer them to attack someone else. I don't know if this is possible.

cyrus is agressive

edit: nice page, Kylearan :goodjob:

- mfg Mystyfly

This was pre-vassals, so it wasn't viable ;)

What do you mean with pre-vassals? Was this game was played in vanilla and vassallage didnt exist?? that would be news to me althought i barely played vanilla... :confused:

Yes, the way I read it, you mean becoming another civ's vassal, not adopting the vassalage civic. The first wasn't a feature in Vanilla Civ, and as far as I know, still isn't, although that may have changed in the latest patch.

Simply beautiful!
However, for more of a challenge, I suggest the following:
1) Neurotic Civs: Genghis, Montezuma, Isabella, etc
Isabella will give you a run for your money with the 7 religions! Plus, she'll be screeching at you for mot accepting her religion.
2) Fractal Map: This will prevent a Pangaea. Thus, you can only spread missionaries to neighbors, while the other continents are brimming with PO'ed heretics!
3) Asoka: Asoka is organized, not industrious (Vanilla)/Philosophical (Warlords/BTS). Thus, he will be a bit harder to play as.

One other thing: In Vanilla, OCC cannot get Cultural. The requirements for Cultural are 3 Legendary cities. OCC gives you one. Which sucks horribly.

this game took place over a year ago, I simply necro'd it because it was such a great game. It was vanilla Civ 4 I believe without vassals or any of those nifty things that were introduced post vanilla

It's really strange how people on this forum can't read properly. It's obvious it's on vanilla, and I don't think anyone could do the same in Warlords or BtS. ;)

By the way, you wondered why your power rating was so high. Well, it depends on population and tech as well as the units you have.

Guardian_PL said:
It's really strange how people on this forum can't read properly. It's obvious it's on vanilla, and I don't think anyone could do the same in Warlords or BtS.

Yeah thats what i was about to suggest, someone might try this again in BtS

oldsaxon said:
By the way, you wondered why your power rating was so high. Well, it depends on population and tech as well as the units you have.

I think the potential you have to build an army has an influence. A lot of peeps means you can whip a lot of units, while a lot of money (not really sure its included in the power rating) means you can buyrush a lot of units, and so on...

Gooblah said:
One other thing: In Vanilla, OCC cannot get Cultural. The requirements for Cultural are 3 Legendary cities. OCC gives you one. Which sucks horribly.

You can win culturally with OCC, you only need permanent alliances/teams (dont know how its called in the english version, must be something like this ;)
However waiting until your teammate (AI *shudder*) gets his two cities to legendary can be frustrating... Example: My city was Legendary, it was 20th century (early 20th i think) and my teammate (dont remember who, was some time ago..) was second in culture. he had two cities with about 40k culture (normal speed) and a third with ~28k culture. Now i check where he tries to build the brodway (recently unlocked). of course he builds it in the city with 28k culture :cry:
so i advise you bette uncheck the culture victory in the game settings...

Really? Perm Alliances work for that? Hmm. I should try that, if only to pretend i could get one.

It's really strange how people on this forum can't read properly. It's obvious it's on vanilla, and I don't think anyone could do the same in Warlords or BtS. ;)

They said the same when the idea was first introduced, and Kylearan proved it could be done. That said I'd be surprised if it were still possible with Blake's AI.

Hi,

They said the same when the idea was first introduced, and Kylearan proved it could be done. That said I'd be surprised if it were still possible with Blake's AI.
It would be much harder now, yes. But even the improved AI won't attack you if they feel friendly towards you regardless of power rating (a fact I didn't know back then...), so if you can survive until you have your direct neighbours at friendly, you're pretty much set.

That, however, is very hard to do nowadays. Founding all religions is nearly impossible now; it's harder to get certain relationship boni now (the AI is more stingy with resource trading); etc.

But I had fun way back then, and that's all what counts. :)

-Kylearan

Top Bottom