MODDING - Looking for a teammate.

Mjalnar

Kitten Arsonist
So, I get a lot of ideas for Civ mods, and have a lot of experience with the game to back them up. I can do graphic design and art, and am capable of designing things how I want them to look, but not so good at programming them to come to life.
What I ask is someone with skill with XML and Lua and modding experience to maybe listen to my ideas in a private conversation, and possibly join me as a teammate to make mods, combining our skills and ideas. As an example of my work as a graphic designer, here is a sample of some emblems I made to replace the normal Civ 5 emblems:
Spoiler :
Row 1: Venice, Sweden, Spain, Siam, Russia, Rome, Polynesia, Poland
Row 2: Persia, Mongolia, Japan, Iroquis, Indonesia, India, Inca, Huns
Row 3: Greece, Germany, France, Ethiopia, England, Egypt, Denmark, China
Row 4: Carthage, Russia, Celts, Aztecs, Arabia, Austria, America

This, I want to expand into a complete mod which revamps all the Civs to have more accurate or balanced unique abilities, units and buildings. To elaborate:
On the scale of how powerful Civs are in Civ 5, the spectrum goes from Babylon, Korea, etc at the top, down to Sweden and Byzantium at the bottom. (From my experience. It's very debatable, but I'd rather not argue about it.) Babylon, though, fell very early on in the real life timeline, and Korea isn't exactly a world superpower, yet Sweden was a significant power for a very long time span, and Byzantium, although its reign was short, it was powerful. I want to rebalance and readjust the Civs so that major powers like America, China, England and Germany are the more powerful, and the Aztecs, and Moroccans are less powerful - keep the same range between the powers of the most powerful and least powerful, just change who is where. (Again, the positions on the scale are debatable, but please don't debate it)

If anyone's interested in contributing as a scripter, or willing to discuss ideas with me, just reply on this thread with whatever it is you'd like to say.

I may have some interest in helping you out. I doubt my schedule would allow me to be your only contributor as this sounds like you have a lot of changes in mind. I'm not the most experienced modder but I'm decently proficient at teaching myself through examples (either for Firaxis' code or from other modder's work). Lua and more specifically mapscripts are my strongest area of knowledge but I've done some XML work as well.

If you're interested in making a contribution, right now all I need is a working mod for just the emblems. I can send you what I tried to do to make it work, but it didn't go too well - the script was ed. Somehow, it made it so that units had no UI in the bottom left of the screen and no unit icons appeared above units on the map.
I thought just replacing emblems would be simple, but even though the script did nothing to unit UI or map icons, it somehow made the entire thing messed... Quite confusing.

The modbuddy file thingy:
(Contains the textures and scripting)
View attachment Civ5Mod4.zip

Everyone on here is your teammate.....a hundred brains are better than two. Just start making whatever is you want, and when you run into problems post your questions and maybe someone will help you.

I know that, but my scripting knowledge is absolutely nill. I need someone I can rely on as a consistent partner in modding, enthusiastic as I am and prepared to script entire mods.

I know that, but my scripting knowledge is absolutely nill. I need someone I can rely on as a consistent partner in modding, enthusiastic as I am and prepared to script entire mods.

no offense, but sounds like a job ad. How much you paying?

Try removing the unnecessary close/open of <IconTextureAtlases> on line 45 and 46 of the .xml file. I believe including the same column twice causes problems with the database.

Top Bottom