SGOTM 21 - Fifth Element

I didn't actually upload the winning save until this morning.

I was going to hold off on playing the final turn until I got confirmation of winning Cathy's heart, but then I realized that I had already voted at the beginning of that turn, so the die was already cast.

I will gladly pay my fine in wooden spoons. I think I have a few of those lying around... :)

Good job guys! That was a fun game. I'd like to especially thank enKage and pigswill for playing the foil and showing me some new strategic approaches.

Don't be shy going forward and get some Hall of Fame games in. Every one of you guys is capable of submitting a G-Major 137 marathon deity space colony game.

Ciao!

Yes, good job, even without the help of your former Captain. Or maybe because of that :)

Don't be shy going forward and get some Hall of Fame games in.
BTW i misclicked the HoF and i noticed i'm still owning some absolute record. But i presume it's why no one cares those settings.

I hope FE will continue. I don't know if there will be another SG see the lack of participation, but in case i'd like to join. Don't know if as a lurker or an active player.

Good job guys! That was a fun game. I'd like to especially thank enKage and pigswill for playing the foil and showing me some new strategic approaches.

Don't be shy going forward and get some Hall of Fame games in. Every one of you guys is capable of submitting a G-Major 137 marathon deity space colony game.

Ciao!

I suppose if I'm going to ever win a Deity game I'm probably going to have to do it on Marathon. I'm just not used to playing either one.

I'll give it a shot. Who knows if I'll end up with a game to submit though.

Good show chaps.

Time to read through other threads.

Ok time for some summary.

I wonder, how it looks like from otzer side, but at least I can say, how FE has changed by this fusion.

- thread constantly alive
- finish date not so behind 3rd place. Actually it is less turns to 3rd place that we used to have to the team last but one
- I leraned more than from any other former games
- and if noone has samething against my usual "oppose everything" I will galdly continue the same squad next game.

Our biggest mistake was that Mansa and Isa didnt come to us as they did in other games. We made also some minor late in the game, but mainly because time was running away and they didnt impact more than 1 voting cycle IMO. For sure the game progress was above my current abiliteies and is team's work we finished with such a good game

Ok time for some summary.

I wonder, how it looks like from otzer side, but at least I can say, how FE has changed by this fusion.

1- thread constantly alive
2- finish date not so behind 3rd place. Actually it is less turns to 3rd place that we used to have to the team last but one
3- I leraned more than from any other former games
4- and if noone has samething against my usual "oppose everything" I will galdly continue the same squad next game.

5-Our biggest mistake was that Mansa and Isa didnt come to us as they did in other games. We made also some minor late in the game, but mainly because time was running away and they didnt impact more than 1 voting cycle IMO. For sure the game progress was above my current abiliteies and is team's work we finished with such a good game
1- because more members and more active. In SG 20 we were 3 actually, with me almost dropped.
2- 20 turns between the gold and silver are a lot, then it's a pack or almost with 4 teams in 27 turns
3-because i spared you my pearls of wisdom :) or because you skipped reading them
4-i hope FE will keep this roster and i hope you would welcome me and to participate actively
5-That wasn't a mistake but luck (or bad luck). From what i've read, FE was troubled by barb galleys in that area, while other teams were contacted by work boats early on. That's what we call axx not skill. Unless those words are synonims.

Remember Cuban Isolationists: 'Its better to be good than lucky' v 'Its better to be lucky than good'.

Between teams of roughly equivalent ability luck is a significant factor. You'll still win with bad luck but you'll lose turns in the process.

BLubmuz! I read your pearls of wisdom! But most of them I already knew (Austin Powell's game OTOH was very educational to me).
But still this game thought me more, starting from very trivial things (like no additional turn of improving by chop first - I really played few years without checking it) to a trick how to open borders with Toku at first contact

I would agree that not getting contact with Mansa much earlier was bad luck. Or maybe every other team had very good luck, because it seems like that arctic chain SHOULD be full of barb galleys. Either way, we directed our research toward Astro, which turned out to be non-optimal in this game.

If there was a major mistake on our part, I think it was being so peaceful. Shulec warned us about being competitive, but I really wanted to believe that a peaceful game could be competitive, so I supported that plan. Technically, it was 'competitive' for 3rd place, but only barely.

Someone mentioned on the lurker thread that getting Democracy for SoL slowed us down. It will be interesting to which teams picked which tasks. Maybe the 50xp boat was the way to go, but again that would've gone along with a more warlike approach.

@zbg
We were the onlies not to gift the ship

BLubmuz! I read your pearls of wisdom! But most of them I already knew (Austin Powell's game OTOH was very educational to me).
But still this game thought me more, starting from very trivial things (like no additional turn of improving by chop first - I really played few years without checking it) to a trick how to open borders with Toku at first contact
ahem
"pearls of wisdom" is sarcastic basically you can change pearls with t_rds
please esplain:
- what is that chop thing? i know that in certain speeds chop+improve requires 1 less turn than improve a forested tile, but if you need the chop you change 1 turn for a more immediate hammer yield.
- OB with Toku at first sight? this deserves a loooong explanation

If there was a major mistake on our part, I think it was being so peaceful. Shulec warned us about being competitive, but I really wanted to believe that a peaceful game could be competitive, so I supported that plan. Technically, it was 'competitive' for 3rd place, but only barely.

Someone mentioned on the lurker thread that getting Democracy for SoL slowed us down. It will be interesting to which teams picked which tasks. Maybe the 50xp boat was the way to go, but again that would've gone along with a more warlike approach.
Being too peaceful at the beginning is always - or almost - a mistake. Growth is power!!!
The 50XP boat requires 3 GG to be burned on it, so you can't be peaceful and pursue that task.

About the SoL, is one of my favourites Wonders, especially if you need to arrive to Industrialism, which was the minimum requirement to satisfy Cathy's tasks.
It satisfied one of the possible tasks for Liz, thus i think it was a good choice.

Did you ever consider RnR task + space task?
I was away when the theme was debated, but i presume that any other task than the parade was longer in terms of research.

We certainly looked at those options. Space requires significantly more research before you can build parts.

We were originally thinking about UN so R&R would have been on the way to that. UN got abandoned when Liz built AP and Religious Victory became a realistic option. The reason we went for SoL is that democracy was less of a detour on the way to industrialism as we needed constitution anyway.

BSPollux, yes, we considered it, but not RnR. Christo for pleasing Liz, and great people for Liz, but a chance to build a SummerPalace occured.
We could not count on RnR because we will not be sure how many engineers we pop.

Spaceship task was my first thought, beeing less research (pigswill! it was only 3 techs away from UN path!), but spaceship parts were too expensive comparing to possible armor whips (3 cities with mega production? we wouldn't find them in our empire). The only way to make them faster would be teching industrialism anyway.

Congrats all. Glad to see the team doing well. Hopefully I can get back in on a game in the future.

Top Bottom