Help with city placement

Next time you play rewind the age of the world to a lower figure so you get a more bumpy start. The two advantages to this are increased production from mines on hills, the second is for defense and great for ranged attacks. You had some 'fair' tiles but deserts = terrible start to build 'massive cities'... Also NC is one thing but I would have put the Capitol next to the Mountain instead of on a river to place an observatory = 50% increased Science. Though of course the later 'techs' do offer something for Rivers. I think that's the Hydro Plant but I play conquest games and that is rare to have the time for that.

I would personally put all my cities next to Mountains if I were able unless a 'beautiful spot' presents itself. And spam 4 Observatories in them all. At least the largest Science cities...

It will place you in the Science lead by the Industrial Era, but after that you will need to have killed a few AI on higher Difficulty Levels... or you will lag
~Your victory type may benefit your build, depending on the situation...
P.S. Always place a city on a Hill(defense and production bonus)

I'm super new, so this is a bit of a hijack job, but also maybe to pose the question to OP. But, where is the disadvantage to settling right on the wheat tile next to the river AND on the coast?

Sorry to come late to this discussion, but the main disadvantage for this particular map is that the wheat tile has 3 hexes that can be attacked from the ocean and the spot where the scout is has one. If you are playing at a difficulty level where you have some fear of the AI military power (and the game is more fun that way I think) then defensibility is serious factor to consider as well.

It is a tricky map in that there is plenty of river -- but maybe only one good expo location on the river!

Sorry to come late to this discussion, but the main disadvantage for this particular map is that the wheat tile has 3 hexes that can be attacked from the ocean and the spot where the scout is has one. If you are playing at a difficulty level where you have some fear of the AI military power (and the game is more fun that way I think) then defensibility is serious factor to consider as well.

It is a tricky map in that there is plenty of river -- but maybe only one good expo location on the river!

basically choosing between better defencibility and better growth/production from watermill/hydro plant.

I am probably settling the wheat but keeping in mind i am going to need to provide an extra naval unit or two to make up for the terrains defensive shortcomings.

Top Bottom