Wonders from previous Civ games that aren't in Civ 5

HughFran

Prince
Hi all,

I was reading through some of the threads on the Civ 1-4 forums and it got me thinking about some Wonders that were changed or removed altogether from Civ 5 and it got me thinking about some of the wonderful Wonders from the older games. Magellan's Expedition from Civ 2 and J.S. Bach's Cathedral from Civ 3 spring to mind. These Wonders have very similar counterparts in Civ 5 but since it has been so long since I played some of the other games, I've forgotten some of the old Wonders and what they did.

For example, in Civ 3 you could build a Wonder that could trigger a Golden Age for a Science, Religious, etc Civ such as Newton's University.

I thought it would be interesting to ask fellow Civ fans what their favourite Wonders are from previous Civs that aren't in Civ 5. Are there any unique Wonders from previous games that don't have a very similar counterpart in Civ 5?

Civ2's Eiffel Tower is rather unique, and would really make things interesting with civ 5's mechanics:
It creates a favorable image with other kingdoms and they will forget past mistakes.

Civ2's Eiffel Tower is rather unique, and would really make things interesting with civ 5's mechanics:
It creates a favorable image with other kingdoms and they will forget past mistakes.

Great start claudiupb! I have been sitting here reading up on the Wonders from Civ 3 and the Great Library was pretty cool in that game: The civilization that builds the Great Library gets any Civilization Advance already discovered by two other known civilizations for free.

Hoover dam in Civ1 which gave free Hydro power to all cities in the continent (power was needed to build factories)

This sort of lends itself open to the debate over which is the most powerful wonder out of all of the civilizations. For me that’s a tough question. Pyramids in Civ 2 was a powerful wonder with a free granary. But I think the best one was probably Leonardo’s workshop – which provided a free upgrade to all your obsolete units. If you had a big army that was potentially massive. Especially as units obsoleted so quickly in civ 2 and there was no way to upgrade them.

That is excluding the wonders from Alpha Centuari. As for me the cloning Vats is the best wonder in all of the games, which meant that your cities would grow every turn as long as they had the food to do so. Which is totally OP in my view.

The most OP wonder of all Civ time was the Pyramids in Civ 1. You could get communism or democracy so much faster. While everyone else was running monarchy at best you were getting way more food and over 2x the commerce.

To put it in Civ 5 terms that is like getting the food from CS and Fertalizer plus having a free university and observatory in every city.

The Pyramids have been one of the best wonders in all civs apart from in civ 5 (its not terrible in 5, but it isnt great either). They were powerful in 4 as well in unlocking all government civics.

But I think the best one was probably Leonardo’s workshop – which provided a free upgrade to all your obsolete units. If you had a big army that was potentially massive. Especially as units obsoleted so quickly in civ 2 and there was no way to upgrade them.

This Wonder was fantastic and I always made a beeline for it! It was devastating when the AI finished it before you because it meant they were a very big threat

This Wonder was fantastic and I always made a beeline for it! It was devastating when the AI finished it before you because it meant they were a very big threat

It was actually the first one I thought of when I saw the title but then remembers Civilization 1 pyramids. Most of the other wonders don't come as early which is where the snowball starts.

EDIT: BTW that had an amazing video, though Hoover Dam was the greatest of all time. Alpha Centauri had some amazing videos too. The current ones are disappointing in light of what we had 15 yrs ago.

It was actually the first one I thought of when I saw the title but then remembers Civilization 1 pyramids. Most of the other wonders don't come as early which is where the snowball starts.

EDIT: BTW that had an amazing video, though Hoover Dam was the greatest of all time. Alpha Centauri had some amazing videos too. The current ones are disappointing in light of what we had 15 yrs ago.

Best wonder video of all time is this one (imo):

Link to video.

I still have nightmares about it.:cry:

This sort of lends itself open to the debate over which is the most powerful wonder out of all of the civilizations. For me that’s a tough question. Pyramids in Civ 2 was a powerful wonder with a free granary. But I think the best one was probably Leonardo’s workshop – which provided a free upgrade to all your obsolete units. If you had a big army that was potentially massive. Especially as units obsoleted so quickly in civ 2 and there was no way to upgrade them.

In Civ 2 I used to try and get Leonardo's workshop and Sun Tzu's war academy, all units that win a battle become veterans, all new units are veterans. It seemed a very powerful combination at the time, but it's been so long since I played Civ2 I can't remember what benefits 'veteran' status gave a unit... maybe just slightly stronger?

In Civ 2 I used to try and get Leonardo's workshop and Sun Tzu's war academy, all units that win a battle become veterans, all new units are veterans. It seemed a very powerful combination at the time, but it's been so long since I played Civ2 I can't remember what benefits 'veteran' status gave a unit... maybe just slightly stronger?

I believe they got more health. Those veteran phalanx's defeating tanks and battleships. Class!

Mod should already added most missing wonder along with one that's never been in main Civ series before.

Best wonder video of all time is this one (imo):

/video

I still have nightmares about it.:cry:

Link it to the forum and get giant thumbnail probably won't help

But this will help you.

-----
This is my most favorite if you ask me. Best visual representation of "everything you have done in this game"

Link to video.

I remember a few from Civ 3. Theory of Evolution would give you 2 free techs at a critical time in the game.

Universal Suffrage gave you some sort of happiness boost in the late game.

Shakespeare's Theatre gave you happiness in the city it was built.

Marco Polo's Embassy (Embassy with every other player) and King Richard's Crusade (+1 hammer/shield on every tile which has at least 1 hammer/shield) would be great in civ5.

I do miss the free granary from the Pyramids in civ2 and civ3. Btw, the Pyramids in civ5 had the same feature, but the designers changed their mind. The free granary in every city was overpowered.

Top Bottom