El Dorado overpowered?

ParadigmPlague

Chieftain
Its certainly pretty rare but I was just playing some babylon and I found it like turn 5 and was able to purchase a settler...

No question it's OP (and ahistorical and silly and [insert expletive of your choice]). But enjoy.

It and other Natural Wonders actually seem too weak to me, but I probably play Spain too often.

I mean, only 1000 gold for finding it as Spain on Marathon mode?

The instant new city is nice, but it seems like a light advantage for a Natural Wonder.

Well, 5 culture from working El Dorado for the entire game (10 culture as Spain) isn't shabby, particularly since culture is now harder to find in the early/mid game.

And Natural Wonders are not supposed to be randomized "I Win!" buttons.

It and other Natural Wonders actually seem too weak to me, but I probably play Spain too often.

I mean, only 1000 gold for finding it as Spain on Marathon mode?

The instant new city is nice, but it seems like a light advantage for a Natural Wonder.

That's because the gold doesn't scale with game speed. It's 500+500(if spain) on any speed you play. That's overpowered on standard speed where settlers only cost 500 gold.

Thats really odd...I just hadn't played Standard to see it normally.

Personally, I think fountain of youth is stronger.

I wouldn't think it's that hard to go into the files and change the yields the wonders give. Some balancing would be nice, toning down the best of them and buffing up the really lackluster ones. Or you could just make them all crazy OP if that was your thing.

The ones that give a mix of working yield and other bonuses are particularly problematic.

Old Faithful is really lackluster INMO.

Finding El Dorado first is a massive boost to your chance of winning. Not as good as Fountain of Youth's huge happiness and military bonus, but still very good.

El Dorado's bonus (along with Spain's UA) doesn't scale well to Marathon. These are much more powerful on normal speed.

Yes, El Dorado's bonus is OP on normal speed. If the AI is first to find it and actually settles it, consider it a handicap to overcome.

If you are first to it; enjoy a really easy game.

It would be on the banned natural wonders for multiplayer if it were possible to do so. But it's on the rare side.

Find the Eldorado first as Spain, buy two settlers. Game over.

In a recent game I found El Dorado on Turn 2.
But I restarted the game .. a win wouldn't feel right with such a start =)

Sometimes you get and sometimes you don't.

In a recent game on Imm played as India and only wanted no more than 4 cities, but hey, Spain was in the game and found 2 wonders apparently, as I was just to found my second city she blocked me with her city. Checking trades told me she had now 5 cities and I had to go to find another spot

Did I spit the dummy for this injustice? No.

I settled 3 cities and still won by cultural victory. Treat your neighbour nicely on these levels and sometimes they like you. :)

These silly wonders are very situational, don't even worry about it and make your gameplan as you go.

Top Bottom