The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #30 The Mayans

Oh, there's plenty of stuff to go around. I can give out the stuff I modified, some of them may be hard to detect, some are obvious, but I may not exactly remember all of it :lol:

Spoiler :

But yes, the second LV is completely intentional

oh and, bonus points for guessing the theme (obvious imho)

This might not have been the best map for a restrictive variant. :)

Some feisty neighbours make this interesting.

t150
Spoiler :

So I want to be playing a nice passive wide-Liberty builder's game. Adding two cities didn't go over so well with my neighbours. Hiawatha and Washington declared, and then the avatar of blood and destruction decided he was tired of waiting:

Defending shouldn't be a huge problem, but it will consume plenty of resources.

By t150 I've made peace with Washington and Monty, but am still fighting the Iroquois. Something pushed the GP counter higher than I'd expected so the Radio timing is off.

Long Count: Scientist, Prophet (is he the source of extra counter+), General, Artist

At least no wonders mean I've had time for a few more units. Lost a handful of them in the 3 wars.

Some map info:
Spoiler :

All the AIs have a NW in their cap, nice ;)
Hiawatha has Uranium :eek: Don't know what to make of that ...

Spoiler :

That has to be a bug, you shouldn't be able to see uranium so early.

Also, all AIs started with Tradition and Liberty opened

@stormtrooper
Spoiler :

That explains those AI borders :lol:

No idea about that Uranium then - Hiawatha seems happy to give the useless yellowcake in exchange for OB. Maybe I can use it in pottery?

Inspired you again, did I Olodune?

Thats good because you can playout what I imagine better than I can and I dont have to waste time doing it.

:)

Well yeah, I obviously didn't reach consentient's level of cruelty :lol: but I imagined Immortal AIs should be nudged just a tick

Like the Piranha Brothers, I'm cruel but fair. The theme is
Spoiler :
the Americas
, loosely speaking. Most of
Spoiler :
Polynesia
is not considered
Spoiler :
the Americas
, but their capital is in modern-day
Spoiler :
USA

This is probably the best I've ever played. Too bad I didn't record an LP. I want to finish before T200. I won't be satisfied otherwise.

that's very good. I thought about including Spain for the irony but ultimately decided against it

I'm noticing a bug in this game that I found in the Spain game, too. Annexed cities are deleting my choices from their BOs and reverting to the same kind of dross that puppets build. Since these are unmodded games, I'm guessing the bug must lie with Enhanced UI. Can anyone else say if they have experienced something similar?

I never experienced that one and I use EUI. But then again I'm a peacemonger so my experience doesn't really count much. It is likely that EUI has still some tiny bugs in it, yes

I noticed that AI had

Spoiler :

Coal before T100 and SH was built only on T75, pretty weird :rolleyes:

HG went away very early - explains that AI had Tradition opener. Other than that, I keep bullying Aztecs in my game :) Seems they have more troops than usual for Immortal.

244 CV

No Wonders
No International games
No Sacred Sites
No Captured Art(ifacts)
No Futurism

Spoiler :

One of the goals of this game was to combine Exploration with Aesthetics to get a boatload of artifacts. Without wonders the SP progress is too slow, and besides I don't have any more art slots. I should have chosen Cathedrals instead of Pagodas (I was also hard capped by happiness through most of the game). So Exploration is out this game.

Monty likes futility, round three:

I used the World Congress to pass: WF, nothing, Landmarks. With 7 museums and 8 workable Landmarks (one in cap) I made use of 14+1+8 = 23 Archaeologists. Another 3 made useless Landmarks.

Internet t237
Last long count spawn was an Engi who saved the 5-turn NVC build.
5k Faith used for 3 Musicians.
First influential civ t242
Last influential civ t243

This map is harder than a typical immortal game so I think the result makes wonderless CV play look even worse than it actually is. The wonders I really miss are: Oracle, Pisa, Sistine, Kremlin

How can you miss Kremlin? Just for the free SP?

You're a great player so I'm really surprised to see you put it on that list.

How can you miss Kremlin? Just for the free SP?

Yes. The Kremlin is hammers into culture at a very efficient exchange. Obviously the other Ideology-locked wonders are superior but for Order the Kremlin is still an Oracle.

Like the Piranha Brothers, I'm cruel but fair.
:lol::lol::lol:
t231 update, slow-going!
Spoiler :
USA had the GW, and I ended up razing 2-3 USA cities and one Poly city. Taking Washington was tough with all the hills and his Minutemen upgraded to Rifles. I ended up with 7 Arty and they have been mostly used to kill units. Getting ready to seige Iroq cap - I screwed up taking his newer coastal city instead of the more developed inland one. This put me in Frigate range and also the city sucks! While trying to force my way towards his cap, I ended up with Cav super-exposed, so I just blasted the inland city and took it. It feels like I've had many screw-ups like that this game. Had one good stroke of luck - I made peace with USA to divert towards Poly, but my spy stayed in Washington, and one turn before it's capture I stole Rifling. :)

After beelining Arty I nabbed ST (this game will go forever) and started going for Flight/Prora, then will go waaaay back to Optics and top tier towards oil. Poc is a beast, but still giving me decent trades.

I was going to whack through USA and take Cusco, but Iroq DOW'd me and I decided the path to Cusco was much easier from Iroq lands. I may split my forces, one army S for Cusco, and one E to liberate Pedro and get his cap, all in Poc's hands. I assume he may have Flight by then, hard to tell. I am going to end up leaving Iroq with one city, it seems.

One other option would be to tech up and go for BBs - way too late to Friagte rush Poc's cap, I assume. Monte still seems formidable, big army and not so happy. In retrospect I should have killed one of his last 3 cities.

Besides all the themes/NWs and stuff, horsies have been very hard to come by (and the map has almost no coal). I screwed up and upgraded too many Landsknechts, so purposefully suicided some Lancers to get more Cav.
[edit: I found out you don't have LOS over LV!]

Attachments

• 2015-06-18_00002.jpg
    2015-06-18_00002.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 240
There's still one thing I messed around with the map but I made it so it only affects certain points of the game, which haven't showed so far

Yes. The Kremlin is hammers into culture at a very efficient exchange. Obviously the other Ideology-locked wonders are superior but for Order the Kremlin is still an Oracle.

Out of interest, why DID you choose Order and not Freedom?

I'm guessing either because it jump starts the happiness or because the tourism bonus doubles up if you're rolling in said happiness. I've seen Nick do that in his Iroquois LP and it worked wonderfully

Top Bottom