Strategy variation in multiplayer?

nemesis464

Chieftain
Recently started playing a lot of Civ multiplayer with friends and I've got a few issues.

We usually have 4 players and 4 AI Civs on continents/Pangaea and immortal.

From the bunch of games that we've played, the person who has gone tradition>patronage>rationalism has won by a margin every time. It seems like you can't really stop then from getting 4 great cities really quickly, their pop. growing rapidly and them having the freedom to easily win diplomatic or science victory.

One game I tried to play science-heavy Shoshone around jungles but couldn't keep up with the production and even though I got all the science wonders and buildings quickly, they still massively eclipsed my science per turn due to their crazy pop. growth from river farm cities.

Another game I tried to go honour/piety Songhai but it still seems like you're massively penalised for not taking tradition. Even liberty seems underwhelming compared it. Because of their patronage strategy, I can't seem to complete for faith or culture per turn either because they get crazy amounts from city states.

Any idea if I'm overlooking something obvious because it seems like our games are a bit one-dimensional at the moment.

Thanks.

Have you tried killing the person going tradition? Is this a simcity game?

In most FFAs I almost always finish tradition, however there are variations that involve part of liberty.

As far as 4 cities tradition go, I get even more crushing wins when I am able to fit more cities in, such as 6 or even 8. I find opening patronage not necessary but helpful if it can be done.

I do like to open rationalism ASAP and blow through that tree, that seems mandatory for FFA type games.

Go liberty. Go wide. Conquer your neighbor. Once you're empire is thrice his seize, you should be able to keep up with his tech and field a massive army. And kill him.

I think I agree with the OP.
Tradition, Patronage, rationalism is very strong and simple to implement.

I am finding it is working very well but I am also tempted to mix in a bit of honour too.

Now obvoisuly in MP best not to neglect your military, but the scienece advantage can be a realy winner.

Top Bottom