How to keep up in tech on Emperor?

CivAddict2013

Warlord
Hey guys. Sometimes I can keep up on tech in Emperor. But other times I notice there will be an AI on the other continent who reaches the Renaissance Era by 500AD. How can the AI possibly tech that fast?

I would like to know how I could tech as fast as the AI.

Are you building science buildings and keeping track of worked tiles? Grow grow grow, sign research agreements and build/buy science buildings. Emperor is pretty easy to keep up..you can usually win with a 25+ tech lead by end game pretty regularly

The most simple way for doing it consist only of two very easy steps.

1) Play as Assyria

2) Conquer lots of cities.:lol:

Oh wait!! there is even a more simple way!! that only consist of one step.

1) Play as Babylon.

Just joking, check this guide, i'ts for achieving SV but it's also a good strategy to be top on science for most part of the time...

Hey guys. Sometimes I can keep up on tech in Emperor. But other times I notice there will be an AI on the other continent who reaches the Renaissance Era by 500AD. How can the AI possibly tech that fast?

The AI frequently beelines into the next era. (And so should you, but the AI usually picks the wrong part of the tech tree to beeline into)

Instead head on over the demographics screen and check the literacy rate to see weather or not the AI is in fact ahead of you.

Hovering over score is another way. Divide the science subcomponent by 4 and that is the number of techs they have.

If you have BNW and they have a city within trade range for you (number of tiles + techs you have dependent) you can get more detail by hovering over a route available to see how many techs they have that you don't and vice versa.

There are a large number of threads already on how you can out science the AI.
On Emperor level it amounts to National College ASAP followed by Rationalism.
Science guides for higher levels work on Emperor except that the Deity early external trade route for science doesn't work well on Emperor, on this level an early internal food trade route is much more efficent since it allows the city to grow.

I wonder about these guides. When I play I have to deal with barbs quite often. Reading that guide, the poster seems to think you should be able to smoothly build four cities without having to repair improvements, with just a scout and warrior for defense.

And no neighbors "covet your lands?"

Doesn't seem to fit what I've seen so far. I tried to do something like this with Venice once. Well sorta because I was kind of worried about other civs so I researched construction, and had two Composites and a Spearman in my city.

Then Assyria bum rushed me with two siege towers and four archers. I think he actually took my city with a warrior. I guess I should have taken Oligarchy, but I took Aristocracy instead. I did have a wall though (more time waster I guess).

I know most people play bigger maps (I play small). But there is this much room without another civ being 8 or so hexes away? Additionally I play continents, and I have seen four civs on my one little continent before, along with city states. War is a way of life, and regardless you aren't finding four good spots for cities usually unless you conquer one.

Which throws his tech time table way off, since you wind up researching things that might not directly contribute to the national college in order to have an army. Not to mention producing a catapult or spearman instead of a library.

I wonder sometimes if we are playing the same game. I've seen situations where what he describes is possible, but usually you better get ready for a war. And as far as "bribing" people to go to war, I've been in negative gold flow many a time when I started settling cities. Early gold is awful dependent on what kind of tiles you have to work.

I wonder about these guides. When I play I have to deal with barbs quite often. Reading that guide, the poster seems to think you should be able to smoothly build four cities without having to repair improvements, with just a scout and warrior for defense.

And no neighbors "covet your lands?"

Doesn't seem to fit what I've seen so far. I tried to do something like this with Venice once. Well sorta because I was kind of worried about other civs so I researched construction, and had two Composites and a Spearman in my city.

Then Assyria bum rushed me with two siege towers and four archers. I think he actually took my city with a warrior. I guess I should have taken Oligarchy, but I took Aristocracy instead. I did have a wall though (more time waster I guess).

I know most people play bigger maps (I play small). But there is this much room without another civ being 8 or so hexes away? Additionally I play continents, and I have seen four civs on my one little continent before, along with city states. War is a way of life, and regardless you aren't finding four good spots for cities usually unless you conquer one.

Which throws his tech time table way off, since you wind up researching things that might not directly contribute to the national college in order to have an army. Not to mention producing a catapult or spearman instead of a library.

I wonder sometimes if we are playing the same game. I've seen situations where what he describes is possible, but usually you better get ready for a war. And as far as "bribing" people to go to war, I've been in negative gold flow many a time when I started settling cities. Early gold is awful dependent on what kind of tiles you have to work.

Barbs are actually an asset to your empire. They are a minor annoyance in the beginning of the game that pays off itself 10 to 1 in late classical. If you have time, watch this video I found on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqg1jd39ON8

That's one of the flaws in comparative gaming; due to RNG, what works for one player will not work (at all) for another.

I've found it problematic since at least as long as one of the old series run on this forum, where players would play comparatively for ~50 turn intervals, then submit their save for review, then vote to decide the "optimal" save, from which all players would proceed. Instead of promoting solid gameplay, it tended to reward the riskiest strategies; invariably, the risk would pay off in at least one save, due almost entirely to RNG.

A better approach is to promote "best practice" strategy and tactics. You may not need more units to defend against barbarians, but you'll want them to avoid falling so low in military score as to invite one or more DoWs.

Like you, I prefer smaller maps. I also prefer high major civ counts, often with few or no CSs. It results in a more active game, with early and near-constant action.

Expand, grow, and don't delay building science buildings. Delay or skip something else, anything else...except for enough units to avoid being a natural DoW target.

Play a game going for a science win, without using Babylon, Mayans, Poland, or Korea.

You should have 4th city at around turn 60, national college on turn 90, universities rush bought / built by turn 120, public schools on turn 165, radio on turn 180, research labs on turn 205, hubble on turn 225 etc. post a few pics on the benchmark that you fall far behind on.

You also don't need to do a 4 city opening. If the map is cramped, there's not many luxuries around or you start near civs with a taste for early warfare, a 3 city start may be better. You can always either settle or conquer another city after your national college is up. On Emperor at least, as long as you grow your cities and prioritize science buildings (especially NC and Universities), the tech gap will close itself quickly.

Barbs are actually an asset to your empire. They are a minor annoyance in the beginning of the game that pays off itself 10 to 1 in late classical. If you have time, watch this video I found on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqg1jd39ON8

I've watched that video before and it's helpful. However, a Warrior cannot occupy an improved tile and the tile your worker is currently on at the same time. So what do you do? Not build a worker or not improve tiles? Obviously not. Also, a city's bombard, even with Oligarchy, does not one shot a barb. So while you can use your Warrior to stop a barb from moving AND pillaging same turn, you won't stop him from carrying out those actions on two different turns.

I've watched that video before and it's helpful. However, a Warrior cannot occupy an improved tile and the tile your worker is currently on at the same time. So what do you do? Not build a worker or not improve tiles? Obviously not. Also, a city's bombard, even with Oligarchy, does not one shot a barb. So while you can use your Warrior to stop a barb from moving AND pillaging same turn, you won't stop him from carrying out those actions on two different turns.

If you are going to lose either an improved tile or your worker then your best to just move the worker onto the warrior until the barb is gone. At least you can continue to use the improved tile. If there is another tile nearby you can always move the worker onto that to improve in the meantime.

That guide uses scouts to great effect but it does require very close micromanagement - one careless mistake and things are gonna go to hell quickly.

Archers are arguably the best early unit against barbs due to the combat system favoring ranged units and the value of getting early experience. I find anyway that you will need a larger army sooner or later so it's just a matter of when you need to build units.
Sometimes building a couple of archers early on to compliment your scout and warrior will make you early game a lot more rewarding & easier in the long term - so if you do have neighbor issues at least you have an army to start with rather than waiting until it's too late.
For one thing there is quite a strong payoff in clearing barb camps for citystates. A player that ignores military purely to focus on building is going to miss out on potentially game changing events.
For instance clearing a barb camp for a religious or cultural citystate and maybe liberating their worker in the process with an archer may well be more beneficial than using that 40 hammers towards a granary....
Then lets say another civ decides to set a quest for the civ with the most cultural generation... Well with an allied cultural citystate you will likely win that quest too... So it can have pretty strong knock-on effects.

Three to four city full tradition plus NC is very strong and I can keep up tech wise playing Immortal/Quick/Small/Continents. Be sure to have 1 to 2 food caravans feeding your capitol all game. The only problem is the AIs on the other continent. Sometimes one can run away with it which makes the second half of the game quite challenging, but I think that keeps it interesting.

I play on Emperor regularly and the answer is: Early National College, Great Library, and Oracle, Enter Renaissance, Finish Patronage, Finish Rationalism (spam Trading Posts), Spy on Tech Leader, Enact Scholars in Residence in World Congress, and (Autocracy) Industrial Espionage. If you can do all that you will catapult past the AI in most games on Emperor.

However, a Warrior cannot occupy an improved tile and the tile your worker is currently on at the same time. So what do you do?

You move your warrior and worker to the same tile... the improved tile. Or put your worker in the city for a turn. I'm quite certain this was covered in the video.

Well, you can't prevent losing a Tile Improvement here and there 100%, but with enough awareness to where the open areas are that may spawn barb camps, good positioning and a good use of Zone of Control to deny the Barbarian mobility you can prevent it most of the time.

The amount of Improvements that get pillaged on average should be so low that the Investment costs of having built more units just to defend against them would not pay out.

But anyway, that Attitude is probably way to zealous for Emperor Difficulty. Just following the rough Science Beeline and focusing on food while building as many units as needed to -feel- save should work just fine.

If you tech as fast as the AI in Emperor, you will NEVER catch up. In Emperor, the AIs start with +3 (+4?) techs, so if you tech at their same pace, you will end up 3-4 techs behind in Emperor+, which means you will always loose.

You have to learn how to surpass them in the tech pace, and at the same time get some freebies to catch up faster.

If you tech as fast as the AI in Emperor, you will NEVER catch up. In Emperor, the AIs start with +3 (+4?) techs, so if you tech at their same pace, you will end up 3-4 techs behind in Emperor+, which means you will always loose.

You have to learn how to surpass them in the tech pace, and at the same time get some freebies to catch up faster.

AI starts with Pottery on King and above.
On Emperor AI also starts with Animal Husbandry and Mining.

You actually can win a spacerace against AI at 3-4 techs down because of bad AI tech strategy + AI not knowing that it should prioritize rushing the very last part needed. You can be further behind than that and beat AI to Diplomatic or Cultural victory due to fewer techs needed for those paths. This occurs when you are playing slightly above your skill level.

So you only ever improve one tile, is that it? :crazyeye:

No you kill the barb lmao. I don't get what your point is. Are you saying that hordes of barbs savagely invade your lands every game to the point of hopelessness? The scenario you provided was that a barb appears at your cap. You have one warrior, one worker, and one improved tile. My solution was to move the warrior and worker onto the improved tile while the barb wanders towards cap and gets shot down. Very easy fix.

Dealing with barbs is a common sense sort of thing. Can you zone him? Is he zoning you? Is he in range for city shots yet? How can I lure him closer to city shots? Is this an unlucky start with 4 barb camps spawning into me? Should I build an archer right now? It's not hard to analyze the situation and block/kill them. It's much easier than regular warfare, as you have combat bonuses against barbs and they spawn slowly.

Top Bottom