Issues with BNW Multiplayer

Quineloe

Prince
I'm trying to set up a two person multiplayer game.

First try went really well, except I forgot to add AI players, so it ended up being a duel on a very large map

When we restarted the game, I added AIs and then the performance just went to hell. Barbarians, as I already noted during a previous internet play, did not move at the end of the turn, but AFTER our turn started. So you would constantly run into an empty field next to the barbarian before it refreshed. Is there any fix to this? we're playing with fall patch

edit: the most critical thing seems to be that barbarians get to move right after they spawned.

The odd thing is, this did not occur when we were just 2 human players on hybrid with no AI Civs.

Barbs are actually functioning the same as they do in singleplayer. The visualization just happens to lag a bit in multiplayer.

Sorry, you can't tell me that. Barbarians can not spawn and attack on the same turn in single player. They do in my MP games.

Your barbs are working as intended since BNW. They now move at the beginning of your turn before you're able to move. They can and always have been able to spawn next to a camp and then move the same turn. This is why I never ever put a worker within 3 hexes of a barb camp. Things get even worse when horsemen start to spawn.

The world council is a horrible mechanic that ruins the game entirely once you hit renaissance. That I will agree is extremely dumb and allows one player, regardless of skill to begin gaining massive advantages over other people or devastate some one of their choosing. The way it works needs to be changed and there needs to be an option to just turn it off completely. I am sure that 90% of games would choose to disable it.

I think this issue stems from the simultaneous turns feature of multiplayer (I've noticed the same issue in games I've played with friends.) I'm fairly sure that the barbs are taking their turns simultaneous to the AI players, which means that the barbs will spawn and attack the same turn. There is still definitely a small amount of visual lag that occurs immediately after the AI turn, however, which is why the barbs don't seem to attack until the beginning of your turn.

The world council is a horrible mechanic that ruins the game entirely once you hit renaissance. That I will agree is extremely dumb and allows one player, regardless of skill to begin gaining massive advantages over other people or devastate some one of their choosing. The way it works needs to be changed and there needs to be an option to just turn it off completely. I am sure that 90% of games would choose to disable it.

I hate how player 1 gets to be host of the World Congress in a situation where both players have printing press and find each other at the same time. Its even more annoying of an advantage as player 1 being favored for simultaneous turn wonder completion.

I hate how player 1 gets to be host of the World Congress in a situation where both players have printing press and find each other at the same time. Its even more annoying of an advantage as player 1 being favored for simultaneous turn wonder completion.

I play a lot of (friendly) multi (4 to 6 ppl). We found that it is indeed best to wait a few seconds after turn resolution to let the game catch up. This eliminates the barb movement.

On the wonders we found that the person in front of the little bar at the bottom got the wonder. As host i always seem to be at the last slot, not the first...

Haven't tested it extensively, just our observations....

Your barbs are working as intended since BNW. They now move at the beginning of your turn before you're able to move. They can and always have been able to spawn next to a camp and then move the same turn. This is why I never ever put a worker within 3 hexes of a barb camp. Things get even worse when horsemen start to spawn.

Test setup:

on turn 10, I have blocked all hexes but one, so the barb will spawn here. If he moves, he has a free move after spawning and would no longer be directly adjacent to the camp and you're right.

Turn 11:
spawned, did not move or attack. Barbarians do not spawn and move at the same turn in single player.

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 55
  • test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 58
Building the forbidden palace will give vote advantage over being the 'host' in the world congress.

After the renaissance, it mostly depends on your city-state influence.

if you dont like some things just ban/disable them.

whats so hard about agreeing that every1 does decline his own proposal in WC?
Or click no barb options if they r to hard to deal for you.

The game isn't the same without barbarians. They provide some early action and ample opportunity to get influence with city states early on.

It's not that barbarians are too hard for us to deal with, we just don't want them to act so weird.

I really wish I hadn't mentioned the WC thing.

Top Bottom