Changing Netherlands during Holiday Season

Thorwing

Chieftain
Hello Civ5ers,

Civilization 5 is my favorite turn-based strategy of all time. I'm also a student for Applied Computer Science. Naturally, being a programmer and lover of games, I am very interested in modding in Civ 5. Living in The Netherlands I'm biased towards the Dutch civilization. So to come to a conclusion: I would like to mod during my time off and really wanted to "fix" the Dutch Civilization. The Dutch you play right now is just "Holland" and not "The Netherlands" and since Holland is entirely dependent on Dikes and not Polders, I wanted to change some things and give them some other things.

The Netherlands -> Holland
Coastal Bias
UA: Dutch East India Company - Coastal Cities add 1 to the trade route limit and give 1 happiness.
The Dutch were master of trade during the colonial times. They also founded many Coastal cities in new lands to allow for luxury goods to be traded alongside them and were used as a resting point.
UU: Sea Beggar - Same as before / no changes
UI: Dike - Unique Coastal Improvement; Must be build on water-tiles that border land. Non-Hill tiles that are completely walled off by dikes get +1 food and +1 production and give extra defense vs. ranged naval attacks.
The exact values may change of course, but I really like this improvement. Probably made by work boats and maybe, like missionaries and such, with a limited use amount.

So what happens to Polders? I was thinking of splitting The Netherlands into 3-4 different empires. Holland, Frisia and some other. But whatever gets Flevoland will have the Polder ability (slightly changed; No Flood Plains, but buildable on lakes.)

Feedback is appreciated since I want it to be balanced. :)

The Ua sounds crazy powerful, since you can spam coastal cities for unlimited trade routes. This might make Venice's UA rather obsolete. Perhaps +1 or +2 trade routes when researching a naval tech? Or maybe 50% longer naval trade routes? although the latter can prove troublesome since naval trade routes can be hard to protect sometimes.

I sadly can't say much about dikes, but I'd take it workers have to embark to construct them? I ama BIG fan of polders, but even though they can be really good, they are sometimes situational.

That sounds good too. The thing with Polders is that they are indeed a little too situational. And for a civ that loves trading and SHOULD love coastal cities, the polder is a little bit counter-intuitive.

UA too strong. Dike too weak.

Make the UA a simple +2 trade routes, start game with a cargo ship.
Make the Dike add +1 food and production to flat coastal tiles per adjacent dike, give it a requirement of optics.

UA too strong. Dike too weak.

Make the UA a simple +2 trade routes, start game with a cargo ship.
Make the Dike add +1 food and production to flat coastal tiles per adjacent dike, give it a requirement of optics.

That is, Cargo Ship in your first coastal city should you settle your capital on an inland for various reasons (Better yields).

maybe +1 :c5happy: Happiness per trade route?
And a unique notional wonder (2e Maasvlakte, don't know how to say it in English), from having a seaport in every city. it gives +5 :c5gold: Gold and a aditional trade route.

greetings from North Brabant

The UA is completely OP, but I like.

The UA is completely OP, but I like.
Test my mod then. :p (It's in the signature)

@topic:

1 additional trade route per city messes up any balance. I think even 2 is way stronger than most (all?) other UAs currently in the game, especially when they're available from the very beginning.

And if you split them up into different empires, one of them should definitely have tulips as unique luxury in their first 4 cities. ^_^

If I recall correctly; Tulips have a Turkish origin. Would be a nice achievement. :p

Perhaps make the Dike produce +1 food with the invention of Steam Power, or perhaps somewhat later, although I don't know which later tech would fit (pumping out the sea, creating cultivable land).

What if you could still be able to build farms and trading posts on tiles improved by a dike, as if it were a road?

A question about the sea beggar can you change the unit graphics a bit. I've seen a few paintings of sea beggars and in my opinion the look a lot bigger and with more sails to me than in-game.

Greetings from South-Holland

What if you could still be able to build farms and trading posts on tiles improved by a dike, as if it were a road?

The idea was to make the dike a water improvement but graphically placed against the land. That way, you could indeed still build farms and trading posts ;)

Top Bottom