Cultures

Cultures are based only on your base region culture and terrain/resources at the moment. There are no restrictions by longitude or latitude.

This is because we had so few. I would like to see some changes on the requirements for Cultures now that we have quite a few. I think we could make things more interesting by having a few prerequisite Cultures of which you can only get a few. However a review of Cultures is a big task.

That's why I asked about getting African Cultures from that Taiga city, it only had 2 resources available when I founded it. It is on the Coast though and 1 resource was from the sea.

JosEPh

See Johny Smiths suggestion. If only I could find it. I lost the link when I lost my hard drive.:(

I've seen it. I would like to see someone take the cultures we have and put them on a prerequisite tree and see what that looks like.

Crossposting from the SVN bug thread.
Just an addition to the list of culture units with lost promotions due to unitclass, Zulu Impi don't get their Mobility promotion anymore.

Also, Culture (Illyrian) is very badly placed in the tech tree. It's currently on Military Tradition, but its culture unit is a Dragon Ship Pirate variant, so it's already obsolete by the time you can build the culture.
There's actually several heroes placed on Military Tradition that should probably be moved to an earlier point in the tech tree, perhaps to Leadership or Cavalry Tactics, as well.

Crossposting from the SVN bug thread.

There's actually several heroes placed on Military Tradition that should probably be moved to an earlier point in the tech tree, perhaps to Leadership or Cavalry Tactics, as well.

List them and your suggestions.

List them and your suggestions.
Curse you and your totally unreasonable demand that I do actual work!

Honestly, I'd say all of the heroes currently attached to Military Tradition and Military Science except Francisco de Miranda, Jose de Francia, and Juan Manuel de Rosas belong at an earlier point in the tech tree. All of the others except the three named above are from roughly the 16th-17th century, whereas Military Tradition/Science's more around a 19th-century level. Personally, I think moving them to Leadership and Cavalry Tactics would place them more accurately in relation to other units, with the ones currently on Mil Tradition to Leadership, and Mil Science to Cav Tactics.

The strength of the three mentioned above should probably be tweaked upwards to the mid-20s to fit in with contemporary units as well.

While I was looking, I noticed there's also quite a few cultures that are placed far later in the tech tree than the units they enable, so by the time the wonder is built the unit is already obsolete. I'll start listing them and their corresponding techs/units. I'll probably miss a few, but it's a start.
Alemanni (Military Tradition) - Fyrdman (Siege Warfare)
Batavi (Military Tradition) - Cornuti (Smithing)
Briton (Leadership) - Gaeroas (Siege Warfare)
Caral_Supe (Meditation) - Kon-Tiki (Sailing)
Chachapoya (Spice Trade) - Warriors of the Clouds (Bronze Working)
Choresm (Military Tradition) - Asvaran Sardar (Invention)
Guatemala (Nationalism) - Alvarado Cavalry (Matchlock)
Holy Roman (Papacy) - Landsknecht (Siege Warfare)
Illyrian (Military Tradition) - Liburna (Ship Building)
Javanese (Mountaineering) - Taruma Warrior (Copper Working)
Libyan (Military Tradition) - Garamantes (Bronze Working)
Peruvian (Nationalism) - Peruvian Conquistador (Matchlock)
Seljuks (Military Tradition) - Sipahi (Invention)
Slovenian (Industrialism) - Carantanian Mercenary (Armor Crafting)
Wallachian (Military Tradition) - Order of the Dragon (Armor Crafting)
For the most part, I think most of these should have the Culture wonder moved forward to the same tech as the unit, or of a similar time. There's a few that might be better off with the unit moved to a later tech and strengthened to match though, notably Guatemala and Holy Roman.

Do you have a copy or link to Johny Smiths suggestion on Cultural splitting? I lost mine and can't find it in his thread.

No. Was that part of the Rise of the Homos thread?

I think he posted it on a thread in C2C somewhere but it would admittedly be difficult to find. Maybe scan through his own post history.

Curse you and your totally unreasonable demand that I do actual work!

Honestly, I'd say all of the heroes currently attached to Military Tradition and Military Science except Francisco de Miranda, Jose de Francia, and Juan Manuel de Rosas belong at an earlier point in the tech tree. All of the others except the three named above are from roughly the 16th-17th century, whereas Military Tradition/Science's more around a 19th-century level. Personally, I think moving them to Leadership and Cavalry Tactics would place them more accurately in relation to other units, with the ones currently on Mil Tradition to Leadership, and Mil Science to Cav Tactics.

The strength of the three mentioned above should probably be tweaked upwards to the mid-20s to fit in with contemporary units as well.

While I was looking, I noticed there's also quite a few cultures that are placed far later in the tech tree than the units they enable, so by the time the wonder is built the unit is already obsolete. I'll start listing them and their corresponding techs/units. I'll probably miss a few, but it's a start.
For the most part, I think most of these should have the Culture wonder moved forward to the same tech as the unit, or of a similar time. There's a few that might be better off with the unit moved to a later tech and strengthened to match though, notably Guatemala and Holy Roman.

Thanks for the effort. Now we need someone who knows more about this subject (Sparth most likely) to take a look at your suggestions and implement if they agree.

Fixed

Top Bottom