Always playing the same way

Peter Sagan

Warlord
I've been playing Civ V for many many hours and now I feel like I'm applying the same tactic over and over again. I'm playing on King and always go tall with 4 cities, build the great library, then build my NC, go for the hanging gardens and by then I have a secure tech lead so I can build many wonders, have a small but much more advanced army and I can have a SV, CV or DV around turn 300. Now my question is, how can I change this pattern because it's getting a bit boring.. I can't resist going for a science start because I love all my wonders and I don't want to get behind on any aspect.

Tradition is a better choice than other policy trees in BNW, so I can see why you constantly get it.

Maybe try upping your difficulty? Or try to get other wonders instead. For instance I sometimes get GL on Emprah, but sometimes I just decide to get a regular Library into other wonders.

By the way, I sincerely hope Fall Patch improves other (as in, non-Tradition) early policy trees. Liberty is heavily hurt by low early game happiness, questionable addition of science penalty per city and free great people not being really free, while Honour and Piety are just too weak/situational (unless abusing +2 tourism reformation belief).

Generally I sometimes have the same problem, but then I just build different stuff and it's okay.

Maybe I should give Emperor a try and play with a random civ to get me out of my comfort zone. Also I should stop chasing all my favorite wonders.. In my last game with Poland I built like 30 wonders, not difficult when you have a full era science lead.

I have met the same problem when playing on Emperor, and have to change a lot when going up to Immortal, so raising the difficulty level is the only thing and the most effective way.

If you don't want to move up a difficulty level, force yourself to win by a different method, such as domination. Switch things up and go for the military techs instead of the science/culture techs.

Thanks guys! I'm now going to start with Genghis on Emperor, higher difficulty and a civilization that normally won't suit me. So my focus will lay on military techs and on wiping other civs, totally out of my comfort zone :)

Thanks guys! I'm now going to start with Genghis on Emperor, higher difficulty and a civilization that normally won't suit me. So my focus will lay on military techs and on wiping other civs, totally out of my comfort zone :)
I wouldn't suggest both moving up a difficulty level and trying to go the domination route. Domination is pretty tough to pull off and it might be too much of a difficulty jump.

I strongly suggest upping the difficulty. I used to play just like you. I loved tall civ with high wonder count. What I noticed when I upped the difficulty is that even if you want to you just CANT do the easy tall high count of wonders play, because they build them before you (most of the time). It kinds of forces you to go different ways and to look at the strengths of different civs. I considered some of the useless until I saw just how powerful they get when you change your play style.

I recently felt the same way. Try playing a game where the map is huge but there are only 8 civs. Forces everyone to go wide; makes for an interesting game. Alternatively, you could do the reverse, 8 civs on a tiny map. Or just raise the difficulty.

Yeah, I think right now social policies trees need to be rebalanced. Tradition and rationalism are just too strong, while piety, exploration, honor, and commerce all have a bunch of useless policies in them. When I want to go the same policy route playing as every civilization, there's a problem with it. Like, I want honor to be the superior choice with the Zulu, and full commerce/exploration to be awesome with Venice, but right now those options are still just seemingly inferior to tradition/consulates/rationalism into ideology, maybe finishing patronage first.

For wonder building though, if you go up difficulty levels, you can't get all the wonders. It's just impossible to do so. Emperor is the highest difficulty you can solidly get the great library on, and the earlier the wonder, the harder it is to get on the higher difficulties. Still, my playstyle hasn't changed much, it's just that I go more buildings than wonders now that I'm moving up difficulties.

I like to roleplay. So if I roll a random civ, I tend to try to utilize their unique stuff they have. Since I play on Fractal map (which you should as well), there's more variety.

No one is forcing you to play the same way game after game. There will always be an "ideal" or "optimal" strategy. It is your own choice whether you voluntarily choose to employ that same strategy.

There are plenty of interesting ways to play the game once you break that mind-set of "MUST ALWAYS PLAY OPTIMALLY".

Yeah, it's often that I find myself trying to switch things up for the sake of doing so.

But later on in the game I think we all can more or less agree that even if you do go for science or something, Diplo always seems to get in the way. it's too easy.

There are plenty of interesting ways to play the game once you break that mind-set of "MUST ALWAYS PLAY OPTIMALLY".
I think that's the biggest problem with me. I always try to discover new techs sooner than in my previous game, don't know why but it's always on my mind.

I just started a game as Genghis on King going for a DV as soon as possible. Opening Honor instead of Tradition was a sad moment :lol:

Go for the achievements. This is how I play so many different ways. I try to maximize the amount of achievements I get in a single game.

I've been playing Civ V for many many hours and now I feel like I'm applying the same tactic over and over again. I'm playing on King and always go tall with 4 cities, build the great library, then build my NC, go for the hanging gardens and by then I have a secure tech lead so I can build many wonders, have a small but much more advanced army and I can have a SV, CV or DV around turn 300. Now my question is, how can I change this pattern because it's getting a bit boring.. I can't resist going for a science start because I love all my wonders and I don't want to get behind on any aspect.

Strange question.

Just change what you`re doing to what you don`t often do and would alternatively like best. You know yourself best of all.

I'm having a similar issue playing on king--I have some pretty predictable go-to strategies that work in the early game, and sometimes I don't even finish a game if I'm so far ahead by renaissance that it won't be a challenge.

I was thinking of mixing it up by playing a naval-type civ on a archipelago or island map. I've never had an early-game naval war. Maybe as Elizabeth? Kamenaha? Or whoever has Dromons---is that Carthage?

Pick a civ that strikes your fancy and consider the UA or UB/UU and ask yourself how you can best use and abuse it. You'll find yourself with possibly a considerably different approach to the game. Enjoy. :goodjob:

Top Bottom