ctx and led-ips monitors - eyesight

dusters

Emperor
Recently i got into a situation where my only available monitor is a really old (from 2003) CTX PR700F model 17" with a 85hz refresh rate.

The thing is working, it has 85hz, can support the resolutions i need and everything is fine.

However, i don't know the math behind eyesight between ctx, led, led-ips and lcd monitors.

And since i don't use glasses i'm fairly concerned with buying the best/most ergonomic monitor possible. I had LG lcds before and they were good, i think even after 12 hour gaming sessions my eyes didn't feel too tired.

Say - i work at PC for 8 hours a day. Which is the best for eyes?

With CRTs, a higher refresh rate generally leads to less eyestrain. 85 Hz is pretty good. Whether a good 85 Hz CRT will cause less eyestrain than a 60 Hz LCD, I'm not sure. In either case, considerations such as reflectiveness can have a significant effect on eyestrain or lack thereof, although this does vary considerably by person, as well as by environment. Brightness is also a significant factor - many monitors can become much more bright than is appropriate for artificially-illuminated rooms, such as rooms at night (even with lights on).

In short, I'd be more concerned about reflectiveness and excessive brightness than the fact that it's a CRT, particularly considering that it's 85 Hz and not a lowly-for-a-CRT 60 Hz.

Is CTX still an active company in Latvia? I had a 1995 CTX in the U.S. at one point, but I haven't heard of them in years. When I tried to look up that monitor online a few years back, I couldn't find anything about it.

With CRTs, a higher refresh rate generally leads to less eyestrain. 85 Hz is pretty good. Whether a good 85 Hz CRT will cause less eyestrain than a 60 Hz LCD, I'm not sure. In either case, considerations such as reflectiveness can have a significant effect on eyestrain or lack thereof, although this does vary considerably by person, as well as by environment. Brightness is also a significant factor - many monitors can become much more bright than is appropriate for artificially-illuminated rooms, such as rooms at night (even with lights on).

In short, I'd be more concerned about reflectiveness and excessive brightness than the fact that it's a CRT, particularly considering that it's 85 Hz and not a lowly-for-a-CRT 60 Hz.

Is CTX still an active company in Latvia? I had a 1995 CTX in the U.S. at one point, but I haven't heard of them in years. When I tried to look up that monitor online a few years back, I couldn't find anything about it.

They aren't active, but since i'm an (ex) PC tech girl, i keep heaps of old computer parts and even monitors, because i'm too fond of them to trash them.

(oldest i have is x286 i think)

Yeah, I have a lot of old equipment, too. The CTX was in too poor of shape picture-quality-wise to be worth keeping, but I do still have a NEC 2003 CRT. You've got me beat on the CPU front; the oldest I have is a 486, and the oldest in a working system a Pentium.

Top Bottom