My CivilizationIV.ini is messed up!

Glad we helped someone! And you are most Welcome! :D

JosEPh

Played about thirty turns and still happening. I sent an email to 2k support but made the mistake of mentioning C2C ("we don't support mods") even though I told them it happened on a new install, vanilla BTS before any mods were applied. I even went into permissions and denied the system the ability to write to the file. The game just takes whatever ini file is there, renames it to .bak and makes a new one, every time the game is run. I've had Civ IV since it was released and never had this problem before.

I have the same thing, everytime it creates a .bak file but my old .ini settings stay. Sounds like read-write permission problem to me. I'm not sure since I always turn off Windows' UAC (User Account Control) when I install fresh Windows, the thing that ask you everytime to make sure you're the admin of the computer. I don't recommend disabling it though since it's part of windows' security, malicious apps on your PC with UAC off might end up with bad results

Still never got it working. Even after uninstalling/reinstalling, deleting all folders and files, no matter what I do, the computer changes the file. I even created a shortcut to C2C using a C2C profile I created and CivilizationIVC2C.ini but the game still created a .bak file for it. I can play, I guess that's all that's important. I just hope it's not indicative of some bigger problem that will corrupt my game.

Well, I think I found a cumbersome workaround. I created a shortcut to C2C using God-Emperor's info. It works, keeping the info in CivilizationIVC2C.ini intact, but each time I want to play, I have to delete the CivilizationIVC2C ini file the game created, remove the .bak extension from the original, then make sure the file is read only. For that one session it works, but I have to do it each time I play. :rolleyes:

It works, keeping the info in CivilizationIVC2C.ini intact,

I think this is your problem, CivilizationIVCaveman2Cosmos.ini vs CivilizationIVC2C.ini. And is why you keep getting a new .ini every session. Plus .ini.bak, it has to be the Real name of the Mod.

Is your Mod folder name for Caveman2Cosmos also Caveman2Cosmos or have you renamed the Mod C2C? If you renamed the Mod to C2C or any other name But (it's real name ) Caveman2Cosmos you are creating problems for your self.

And since this is only happening to you I would bet a doughnut to a dollar this is your error.

JosEPh

I'm using the SVN version. I named the working mod folder C2C SVN. I was using it this was for a long time and everything was working fine until this issue started. That's what's so frustrating; it was working fine when I was playing in the morning, came back that afternoon and it was messed up.

Again to everyone, PLEASE name ur playing folder to "Caveman2Cosmos", otherwise u will get errors, maybe not right away or even quite a while BUT sooner or later u will have errors, so again PLEASE, Caveman2Cosmos, MUST be the name NO MATER WHAT. .. SO

I'm sorry, I thought it was just for the stable version that this was needed. If both the SVN and version 36 require a name of Caveman2Cosmos, how can they both be in the mods folder? I won't really matter to me, as I'm probably just going to stick to the SVN but I'm just curious.

I'm sorry, I thought it was just for the stable version that this was needed. If both the SVN and version 36 require a name of Caveman2Cosmos, how can they both be in the mods folder? I won't really matter to me, as I'm probably just going to stick to the SVN but I'm just curious.

They both can't be in the Mod folder. You keep the one not being used somewhere else (like My Documents in a Folder made to hold C2C stuff) outside the Civ IV/BtS directory path.

By keeping v36 in with the SVN which ever version you used last sets the .ini. And the Options set up in User settings if carried over from v36 to the current SVN will Also cause problems because of the Changes made to the Game Set Up list since v36 was released.

JosEPh

Again to everyone, PLEASE name ur playing folder to "Caveman2Cosmos", otherwise u will get errors, maybe not right away or even quite a while BUT sooner or later u will have errors, so again PLEASE, Caveman2Cosmos, MUST be the name NO MATER WHAT. .. SO

They both can't be in the Mod folder. You keep the one not being used somewhere else (like My Documents in a Folder made to hold C2C stuff) outside the Civ IV/BtS directory path.

By keeping v36 in with the SVN which ever version you used last sets the .ini. And the Options set up in User settings if carried over from v36 to the current SVN will Also cause problems because of the Changes made to the Game Set Up list since v36 was released.

JosEPh

I find both of these to be wrong. I often have 4-10 versions of C2C in my Mods folder without experiencing any problems with the game except remembering what I am testing with each.

Every now and then my CivilizationIV.ini file gets corrupted but that happens whenever I play any mod or even vanilla. At one stage I thought it happened because I did not exit via the menus but by clicking on the "x" to close the window, but now I am not so sure. It does happen more often when I close that way but it happens when I do a normal exit also. It is very annoying when testing XML stuff which requires a reload of the mod.

I find both of these to be wrong. I often have 4-10 versions of C2C in my Mods folder without experiencing any problems with the game except remembering what I am testing with each.

Every now and then my CivilizationIV.ini file gets corrupted but that happens whenever I play any mod or even vanilla. At one stage I thought it happened because I did not exit via the menus but by clicking on the "x" to close the window, but now I am not so sure. It does happen more often when I close that way but it happens when I do a normal exit also. It is very annoying when testing XML stuff which requires a reload of the mod.

I thought I was explicit enough in my post that having a Caveman2Cosmosv36 versus a current SVN Caveman2Cosmos version in the same place, BtS\Mod folder, Would cause problems because If you played the v36 and then Started a new Current SVN Custom game the Current SVN Game Set Up Options have Completely Changed from the Game Set Up Options that v36 has, therefore your User Settings Folder is Now Corrupt.

Is this not correct DH? Perhaps my typing slower than thinking left my post with missing info?

JosEPh

Is this not correct DH? Perhaps my typing slower than thinking left my post with missing info?

JosEPh

Nah, he's just in one of his moods again, he will get over it soon.. :p;)

Nah, he's just in one of his moods again, he will get over it soon.. :p;)

Must be the weather changing. Lots of "moodiness" floating around these days. :mischief::p

JosEPh ;)

I thought I was explicit enough in my post that having a Caveman2Cosmosv36 versus a current SVN Caveman2Cosmos version in the same place, BtS\Mod folder, Would cause problems because If you played the v36 and then Started a new Current SVN Custom game the Current SVN Game Set Up Options have Completely Changed from the Game Set Up Options that v36 has, therefore your User Settings Folder is Now Corrupt.

JosEPh

I did not realise you were talking about UserSettings but that is besides the point. Those are stored in the folder of the mod and thus picked up when you play that version of the mod. The problem would be if you have 2 or more games going under different versions and try and play the a game with the wrong version of C2C. This is ofcourse only a problem at the moment because we are breaking save game compatibility.

The only file that is common is the CivilizationIV.ini file and yes if you play one saved game of one version and then try to start a new game in a different version you may have problems if you don't "Play Now" first up to clean up the options.

So I'm over thinking all this then. And SteelSterling just needs to do a Play Now start (1 turn and quit) before doing a Custom game with new SVN, right?

JosEPh

So I'm over thinking all this then. And SteelSterling just needs to do a Play Now start (1 turn and quit) before doing a Custom game with new SVN, right?

JosEPh

That will fix it in almost every case. I did have a weird "device" error a couple of times which required me to delete the CivilizationIV.ini file as the only way past the problem but that only happens once or twice a year.

BtW When I am developing and testing stuff I may need to go in and out of Civ IV 5-10 times in an hour most times there are no problems.

JosEPh

Oh, if only it was so easy!:undecide:

I've tried that, uninstalling, installing, deleting the cache, I've installed with the original disc and tried the Steam version.
I've gotten some semblance of order with it now, bit of a hassle but C2C is more than worth it. :goodjob:

Top Bottom