Unable to use 7x7 tile painter in world builder

Vendayn

Warlord
I selected 7x7 so I can paint the "space" terrain faster. But, the only size that works for any tile type is 1x1 and that is slow as hell if I want to make a huge area of space.

Is there a key I need to press to use the 7x7? Is it bugged for me? Is there an easier method I'm missing? Cause its super annoying painting each tile to space (working on orbit right now) lol. Maybe I'll have it finished before someone responds, but hopefully someone chimes in before that :p

This is taking so long rofl.

And the area thing doesn't work, unless I make a "square ring" shape and then select the area inside it, then it changes it to land and I gotta mess with it a bit to change to Orbit. I'd rather do it one at a time than do the select area, that takes longer rofl.

Is there any reason why the 7x7 isn't changing terrain? None of other ones do either (like the 3x3), only 1x1 actually changes terrain.

Its kinda pissing me off lol

I ended up making a ring of "space" and waiting for land to fill in. Then change it to all space. Taking ages to change, but at least I can do other stuff while I wait lol. Sure beats doing it manually

Is the SVN (revision 9115) different than the release MODDB version? Is it older or newer or something? Or have something moddb version doesn't have?

I try loading my map from MODDB version of C2C, and it crashes on loading (it is a big (quite an under statement lol) map). But, SVN revision 9115 loads perfectly fine with the map.

A bit weird.

Is the SVN (revision 9115) different than the release MODDB version? Is it older or newer or something? Or have something moddb version doesn't have?

I try loading my map from MODDB version of C2C, and it crashes on loading (it is a big (quite an under statement lol) map). But, SVN revision 9115 loads perfectly fine with the map.

A bit weird.
The one on ModDB is SVN revision 8790, I think.

The one on ModDB is SVN revision 8790, I think.

ah, that probably explains it (did notice ModDB version is kinda "old", from end of last year) and I was building it on the newer version.

I chose 9115 because I read it was most stable, and the newest builds have a crash issue (and animal bugs) and updates will come out to break saves for it.

When I do eventually update when SVN is stable, map will still be compatible right? It just won't for older versions of the game?

When I do eventually update when SVN is stable, map will still be compatible right? It just won't for older versions of the game?

The map should work when you update. I believe you are using some of the new water terrains in your map, those terrains did not exist in the version on ModDB; maps using terrain types that doesn't exist would cause a crash on load for sure.

ah, probably. I did notice what looked to be "new" water types (tropical and some other stuff, forgot what they were called). To be honest, I probably should look through the update notes but partly lazy and I also partly like to be surprised :p Not always a good thing though when don't know what breaks and doesn't lol and whats new etc.

At least future updates most likely won't break the map, just might need to redo the players. Not a big deal. The most annoying part is already done, the map itself :p That took all day (think over 10 hours of constant work), just for the space part lol.

The map is still being tested, I want to get to at least 900-1000 turns before releasing it. But, here are a bunch of screenshots :) I started with UEM (ultimate Earth Map), expanded it width wise by a ton and added a bunch of space to it. Earth itself is nearly exactly like UEM map, but as I said later in the post, regenerating the map screwed things up. I used a map maker program to make UEM larger (so I could add space to the map), and it changed terrain and removed most of the resources lol. So 95% UEM, and 5% is stuff I did on Earth. All of the space is stuff I added on to it.

I didn't aim for a realistic map, its more fantasy-like in a lot of ways. But I did do some research, like a rough location where cities should be (but it won't be exact) and I tried getting the landmarks in their correct place (as best as I could). And some basic research of some of the solar system planets, but space is vastly more fantasy-like than how I made Earth.

Here is a link to the album of it (a lot of screenshots): http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/library/Caveman2Cosmos

It is 400 width (almost double what UEM is), and height is 112 (which is default height of UEM map). I didn't change the height cause that would have screwed up Earth. Even if it performed well on a bigger width, all it would do is make the current "planets" bigger and more asteroids. Don't even know if the game supports a bigger width than that anyway lol.

Also, the "planets" are more fantasy-like. Mars has an alien civ (Portugal I think I used) on it and is sorta earth-like. There is an alien "ship" with another civ (I think I used Neanderthals for it.). Either that, or Portugal is on the "ship" and its other way around, in any case I made those two not playable. I partly chose Portugal cause it was otherwise too close to Spain and wouldn't very fun as either one. So Portugal and the Neanderthals I made as non-playable civs. But I didn't research the planets and see what they are supposed to look like. Just whatever I knew about them lol. The ship is cool, even though it just uses the regular terrain, kinda proud of that design though lol.

The aliens I made as prehistoric age, not entirely realistic tbh...but I gave them robots to compensate. Otherwise, it made diplomacy a bit weird because of the super advanced civs and it make them too OP. And then all the civs on Earth were far more peaceful because of the "alien" civs that they never even met. So, I like the balance better of prehistoric for them a lot better gameplay wise.

Venus I made super hard to colonize, cause of the intense "smog" (atmosphere), but its SUPER good for resources, will just be nearly impossible to live on. Dunno maybe its not even possible lol. Haven't got that far yet. But I also added a ton of volcanoes to Venus too, since they found it is still an active planet to this day.

Then random asteroids to explore, plus some other stuff.

Earth also is sort of in an Ice Age, but parts of it are still warm. To be honest, when I regenerated the UEM map so it was bigger, it auto changed most of the terrain to cold. So I figured I'd just say it was in an Ice Age :p I changed north america and south america a bit back to "normal", but that is too much for me to change all at once if I wanted to go in and redo the other continents. So future versions will probably be more normal for europe, middle east and africa lol. But I want to actually play, not mess with annoying terrain :p I might just leave it as is though, cause I kinda like the "ice age" aspect of Earth. Gives a reason to get into space

Also, I probably need to add/remove/change resources, cause regenerating the map removed most of it which was annoying. But, resources are mostly good as I did a lot of work on those...just some parts of the map might not have as much (some of it might have too much). But, space is super good for resources :p There are two Earth locations I chose though that are super good with resources :p

Right now, my main game with it is 201 turns in (map is designed for a slower speed, but for testing purposes I did fastest one with hardest AI). And it still runs really good for me. Almost all of Earth is explored, and I cheated a city to space so I don't get a game over, cause I need to test the map to see how it works long-term. I don't do good against hardest AI :p So I ended up losing except for my lone space city lol. But I still have a ton of units (that I cheated in lol) on Earth.

When I finish testing (probably stop between 1000 to 1500 turns), I won't cheat at all and release the map. But its just testing, need to see how it works. :)

How is this going?

JosEPh

AIAndy incorporated an early version of Platyping's World Builder. Platyping has greatly improved his World Builder but we have not upgraded to it. It is too messy to be done quickly as it involves multiple files of code one of which is a duplicate and I have not had chance to figure out which is used or if both are.

The map is already uploaded to the map section. But I passed over 1k turns (on whatever fastest speed is) and it still played good (for me) with debug map turned on so I can see everything and see how it plays at that point. It did get laggy when moving around the map, but I figure that is just a debug_mode thing, cause I tested the tiniest map possible with only 1 other civ and debug_mode was laggy moving around as well. I haven't had any crashes though in my test game, but did get one when I was making the map (but it was like 10-11 hours of no crashing before then and I did A LOT) and luckily I had just saved lol.

Here is link to map thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=563834

There won't be updates to it for a while, till I finish my actual game of it without cheats or anything and on slow speed. And games on slow speed take ages :p But, next update will definitely add 3 basic units to each civ on the map, since I didn't actually do that. makes it slow to get started and doing anything, but really only an issue really early on. Then first unit gotta choose to explore with it or defend lol, but at least in prehistoric era no one really starts wars. But the no units in other civs probably not be good if the player takes advantage of that.

Should have added units at same time I was adding civs, be a lot easier, but oh well, too late now lol.

Probably need to re-do resources as well (at least partly). Or at least remove/add some. That part isn't high on the list though, since I did do kinda a lot with resources lol. But some parts of the map will be pretty barren as far as that goes, but I did fix a lot of that issue.

Then I did see one natural wonder in wrong place, cause google said it was located there (north america)...but it was something with the same name. But the description of the natural wonder when I found it said it was in brazil...I laughed but was also annoyed at fail google :p Forgot what natural wonder it was, but it was one in brazil I guess. Oh wait...the sugerloaf mountains and I searched it and google put it in US lol.

Granted another google search shows there is A LOT of stupid mountains with the same name....so no wonder I put it in wrong place rofl...

I put this part in my map thread, but works better here.

For some reason world builder shows the leader's name and not the civs name, so maybe there is a setting I'm stupidely missing somewhere or a button to press. But if I could see the actual civ name (like USA or Aztecs, instead of the leader name). I'd probably make an update to that sooner for people, otherwise I need to google each name unless I know it already (which is few lol).

As it is. As I said, everyone starts with no units (except the "alien" civs), and gotta train the initial units. Too easy to abuse AI like that, and also makes for a boring start lol.

In-game when I am playing, I see the civ name correctly. But in world builder it very annoyingly shows the leader name lol. I know some leaders, but a lot I'm not aware of so I gotta google it. Which takes a while with so many civs on the map :p

Top Bottom