Great Writing Quotes

Kixu

Chieftain
Hey, I have always loved the quotes from civ and I couldn't find a list of these with a quick search so I dug up the xml file and cleared it up a bit in case anyone else wanted to reread them.

Presenting all the Great Writing Quotes:

Spoiler :
ODYSSEY
"Men are so quick to blame the gods: they say that we devise their misery. But they themselves in their depravity design grief greater than the grief that fate assigns."

FABLES
"The tortoise plodded on and on. When the Hare awoke from his nap, he saw the Tortoise near the winning post. But he could not run fast enough in time to save the race. Then the Tortoise sAid, 'Slow and steady wins the race.'"

OEDIPUS
"Oedipus knew the famous riddles. He was a mighty king; he was the envy of everyone. Now he's struck a wave of terrible ruin. While you are alive, you must keep looking to your final day, and do not be happy 'til you pass life's boundary without suffering grief."

LYSISTRATA
"You, man, are fool enough, it seems, to dare to war with women, when for your faithful ally you might win us easily."

AENEID
"It is easy to go down into Hell; night and day the gates of dark Death stand wide; but to climb back again, to retrace one's steps to the upper air - there's the rub, the task."

METAMORPHOSES
"Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all. Be patient and tough; one day this pain will be useful to you."

TRUE_STORY
"I fall back on falsehood - but falsehood of a most consistent variety; for I now make the only true statement you are to expect - that I am a liar. This defense is, I consider, a full defense against all imputations."

RUBAIYAT
"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on; nor all thy piety nor wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a line, Nor all thy tears wash out a word of it."

MASNAVI
"Knock, and He'll open the door. Vanish, and He'll make you shine like the sun. Fall, and He'll raise you to the heavens. Become nothing, and He'll turn you into everything."

RAMAYAMA
"Valmiki the Poet held all the moving world inside a water drop in his hand. The gods and saints from Heaven looked down, And Valmiki looked down at the gods in the morning of Time."

MAHABHARATA
"To save the family, abandon a man; To save the village, abandon a family; To save the country, abandon a village; To save the soul, abandon the earth."

URUBHANGA
"The disease of suspicion is never in my being. For I am a king who can respect the friendship That flowers between a man and a woman."

ABHIJNANASAKUTALAM
"Yesterday is but a dream; Tomorrow is only a vision.
But Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness; and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

CHU_CI
"Two monarchs then, who high renown received, followed the kingly way, their goal achieved. Two princes proud by lust their reign abused, sought easier path, and their own steps confused."

SHUIHU_ZHUAN
"Today our younger brother, Chen Da, went against our advice. He offended Your Excellency and has been locked within your honorable manor. Since we have no way to save him, we have come to die with him."

JIN_PING_MEI
"The passions evoked by clouds and rain, joining their heads and twining their necks, within the bed curtains. Truly: When feelings converge, one is apt to forget what happens to a brocade girdle."

HONG_LOU_MENG
"The cunning waste their pains; The wise men vex their brains; But the simpleton, who seeks no gains, With belly full, he wanders free, As drifting boat upon the sea."

KOKIN_WAKASHU
"Argent pearls Did my tears seem Yet with the passing years Chinese crimson Have they become"

GENJI_MONOGATARI
"One ought not to be unkind to a woman merely on account of her plainness, any more than one had a right to take liberties with her merely because she was handsome."

TSUREZUREGUSA
"The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. Leaving something incomplete makes it interesting and gives one the feeling that there is room for growth."

SHINJUTEN_NO_AMIJIMA
"To the ears of one possessed by the God of Death, reason and objections seem like so many idle complaints."

UGETSU_MONOGATARI
"The moon glows on the river; Wind rustles the pine. Long night, clear evening - What are they for?"

WAGAHAI_WA_NEKO
"Living as I do with human beings, the more that I observe them, the more I am forced to conclude that they are selfish."

EL_INGENIOSO
"'Now look, your grace,' said Sancho, 'what you see over there are not giants, but windmills, and what seems to be arms are just sails, that go around in the wind and turn the millstone.' 'Obviously,' replied Don Quixote, 'you don't know much about adventures.'"

MARIA
"I fell asleep sorrowful, filled with a vague foreboding of coming trouble. That lock of hair taken from a boy's head, that precaution of love against death, even in the presence of abounding life, caused my thoughts to wander all night about those scenes where I had passed, without knowing it, the happiest hours of my life."

MARTIN_FIERRO
"I am a gaucho, and take this from me As my tongue explains it to you: For me the earth is a small place And could be bigger yet"

AZUL
"Bagpipes of Spain, ye that can sing That which is sweetest to us in the Spring! You first sing of gladness and then sing of pain As deep and as bitter as the billowed main."

GIRART_DE_VIENNE
"May God forbid the deed! A King of France shall not be harmed by me! If he forgives me, I'll be his man of liege, And hold from him all my lands in fief."

LA_VIE_DE_GARGANTUA
"Seeing how sorrow eats you, defeats you, I'd rather write about laughing than crying, For laughter makes men human, and courageous."

CANDIDE_OU_LOPTIMISME
"Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and only what suits my taste."

LES_TROIS_MOUSQUETAIRES
"All for one, one for all, that is our device."

LES_MISERABLES
"The greatest happiness in life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves ... To love another person is to see the face of God."

VIGNT_MILLE_LIEUES
"Captain Nemo pointed to this prodigious heap of shellfish, and I saw that these mines were genuinely inexhaustible, since Nature's creative powers are greater than Man's destructive instincts."

A_LA_RECHERCHE
"There is no man, however wise, who has not at some point in his youth said things, or lived a life, the memory of which is so unpleasant to him that he would gladly expunge it. And yet he ought not entirely regret it, because he cannot be certain that he has indeed become a wise man."

DIVINA_COMMEDIA
"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."

IL_CANZONIERE
"How do you know, poor fool? Perhaps out there, somewhere, someone is sighing for your absence; and with this thought, my soul begins to breathe."

ORLANDO_FURIOSO
"There never was such beauty in another man. Nature made him, and then broke the mold."

SAUL
"They shall record of thee, that David here Himself surrendered to ferocious Saul - March forth, O Israel, from thy peaceful tents; March forth from them, O King."

DIE_RAUBER
"Not that I have any doubt but that justice would find me speedily enough if the powers above so ordained it. But she might surprise me in sleep, or overtake me in flight, or seize me with violence and the sword, and then I should have lost the only merit left me, that of making my death a free-will atonement."

FAUST
"When scholars study a thing, they strive to kill it first, if it's alive; then they have the parts and the'be lost the whole, for the link that's missing was the living soul."

REVIZOR
"It is no use to blame the looking glass if your face is awry."

PRESTIPLENIYE
"Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth."

VOYNA_I_MIR
"You can love a person dear to you with a human love, but an enemy can only be loved with divine love."

CHAYKA
"Why do I hear a note of sadness that wrings my heart in this cry of a pure soul? If at any time you should have need of my life, come and take it."

NA_DNE
"Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is."

CANTERBURY_TALES
"Yet do not miss the moral, my good men. For Saint Paul says that all that's written well Is written down some useful truth to tell. Then take the wheat and let the chaff lie still."

LE_MORTE_DARTHUR
"Yet some men say in many parts of England that King Arthur is not dead, but had by the will of our Lord Jesus into another place; and men say that he shall come again."

THE_FAERIE_QUEENE
"For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought."

MACBETH
"Life ... is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."

PRIDE_AND_PREJUDICE
"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun."

FRANKENSTEIN
"Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow."

A_CHRISTMAS_CAROL
"You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!"

ALICES_ADVANTURES
"'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat. 'We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.' 'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice. 'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'"

BARRACK_ROOM_BALLADS
"And the first rude sketch that the world has seen was joy to his heart. Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, 'It's pretty, but is it art?'"

THE_TIME_MACHINE
"I think that at that time none of us quite believed in the Time Machine. The fact is, the Time Traveler was one of those men who are too clever to be believed: you never felt that you saw all around him; you always suspected some subtle reserve, some ingenuity in ambush, behind his lucid frankness."

THE_SIGN_OF_THE_FOUR
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

LADY_CHATTERLEYS_LOVER
"A woman has to live her life, or live to repent not having lived it."

THE_SKETCH_BOOK
"And he would have passed a pleasant life of it, in despite of the Devil and all his works, if his path had not been crossed by a being that causes more perplexity to mortal man than ghosts, goblins, and the whole race of witches put together, and that was - a woman."

THE_LAST_OF_THE_MOHICANS
"Chingachgook grasped the hand that, in the warmth of feeling, the scout had stretched across the fresh earth, and in that attitude of friendship these intrepid woodsmen bowed their heads together, while scalding tears fell to their feet, watering the grave of Uncas like drops of falling rain."

THE_RAVEN
"Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter, In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore. Not the least obeisance made he; not a moment stopped or stayed he; But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door."

TWICE_TOLD_TALE
"Amid the seeming confusion of our mysterious world, individuals are so nicely adjusted to a system, and systems to one another and to a whole, that, by stepping aside for a moment, a man exposes himself to a fearful risk of losing his place forever."

MOBY_DICK
"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world."

UNCLE_TOMS_CABIN
"Tom opened his eyes, and looked upon his master. 'Ye poor miserable critter!' he said, 'there ain't no more ye can do. I forgive ye, with all my soul!' and he fainted entirely away."

WALDEN
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

LEAVES_OF_GRASS
"Oh Captain! My Captain! Our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather'd every rack; the prize we sought is won."

ADVENTURES_OF_HUCKLEBERRY
"But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before."

POEMS
"Because I could not stop for Death - He kindly stopped for me - The carriage held but just Ourselves - And Immortality."

RED_BADGE_OF_COURAGE
"He vaguely desired to walk around and around the body and stare; the impulse of the living to try to read in dead eyes the answer to the Question."

WONDERFUL_WIZARD_OF_OZ
"'Oh - you're a very bad man!' 'Oh no, my dear. I'm a very good man. I'm just a very bad Wizard.'"

THE_GREAT_GATSBY
"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - to-morrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther, and one fine morning..."

ROSETTA
"...those who dwell in them, and unto each and every one who hold any dignity in them, now behold, he is like unto a god..."

MAWANGDUI
"Bloody Hemorrhoid. Boil thoroughly one male rat in urine. Hot press with the vapor."

DEAD_SEA
"Tell them this, 'These gods, who did not make the heavens and the earth, will perish from the earth and from under the heavens.'"

GILGAMESH
"I will set up my name in the place where the names of famous men are written, and where no man's name is written I will raise a monument to the gods."

NAG_HAMMADI
"But those whom he has anointed are the ones who have become perfect. For full jars are the ones that are anointed. But when the anointing of one is dissolved, it is emptied."

LINEAR_B
"Thus saw Phugebris when the king appointed Augewas the do-mo-ko-ro...slaves women thirty-two...older girls five...younger girls fifteen...younger boys four"

PAPYRUS_ANI
"Hail, oh ye who give cakes and ales to perfect souls in the House of Osiris, give ye cakes and ale twice each day to the soul of Osiris Ani, whose word is true before the gods, the Lords of Abydos."

RUNESTONE
"I say this the second, who nine generations ago lost his life with the Hreidgoths, and died with them for his guilt."

HAMMURABI
"196. If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out."

BAKHSHALI
"Five merchants together buy a jewel. Its price is equal to half the money possessed by the first together with the money possessed by the others, or one-third of the money possessed by the second together with the moneys possessed by the others..."

CODEX_PEREZ
"The prophecy of Chilam Balam, the singer, of Cabal-chen, Mani. On 13 Ahau the katun will end in the time of the Itza, in the time of Tancah"

JUSHICHIJO_KEMPO
"Harmony is to be valued, and the avoidance of wanton opposition to be honored...Then what is there which cannot be accomplished."

KELLS
"In the beginning was the Word...and the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us."

CODEX_BORGIA
"Tezcatlipoca: He by whom we live. Lord of the Near and the Nigh."

KEDUKAN_BUKRIT
"In the year 605 of the Saka calendar, on the eleventh day on the full moon of Waisaka, His Majesty took a boat to make a profit."

Top Bottom