Gawker Media potentially the first big digital media company to unionize.

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
Okay, so maybe this will just be interesting to me and like, two other people, but I'll make a thread here anyway.

Many newspapers in the US have had unionized employees, particularly blue collar ones (like typesetters, delivery drivers, etc...but also some writers), but none of the big, digital only companies have done so, for a variety of reasons. That may potentially change, as Gawker Media (which includes Jezebel, Deadspin, etc) is planning on voting on a proposal that would unionize their writers.

The exact specifics are a little fuzzy, but the driving point seems to be to allow for collective bargaining with management and transparency with future decisions, rather than over salary, or specific benefits. If you want to see various Gawker writers discuss why they are in favor, or oppose, you can read here. or here.

Digital Media companies typically employ a young writing staff, but as more of these firms enter maturity, that staff is aging, and many are having children and are pushing for more comprehensive medical care solutions. Because distribution methods change so quickly, these firms have also tended to prioritize their ability to radically change directions, including potentially firing people. This isn't great for job security (few have it), but it's also been a big factor in why many of these companies are in better shape than their print counterparts.

There aren't many white collared, private sector industries that are unionized in the US, since many may find it is easier to negotiate individually, where they may have leverage, than as a collective...but for entry level digital writing jobs, perhaps that is less the case now (massive oversupply of workers leading to decreased individual leverage).

Do you think they should do it? I'm a supporter of unions in general, but to be completely honest, given the choice of me working as a writer in a union shop or a non-union shop, I think I would prefer the non-union shop....but maybe I could be talked out of it.

Gawkers and it's creations deserve a quick and fast death. What those idiots have brought upon the world is unforgivable.

I agree that gawker in general has produced nothing worthy of human consumption and is rather vile overall, but...

Do you think they should do it? I'm a supporter of unions in general, but to be completely honest, given the choice of me working as a writer in a union shop or a non-union shop, I think I would prefer the non-union shop....but maybe I could be talked out of it.

Wouldn't it in theory mean better working hours, benefits, more flexibility, better pay, better representation, etc. for the employees? What would be a benefit of working in a non-unionized setting rather than the opposite?

rather than over salary, or specific benefits.

I would assume that this might change in the future.. right? Wouldn't a unionized workplace generally end up paying better than one that isn't, over time?

For full disclosure, I work at a place where the answer would always be "hell yes, unions please", because we wouldn't have it as good as I do without them.

Love Gawker media. Love unions. Slam dunk!

Gawkers and it's creations deserve a quick and fast death. What those idiots have brought upon the world is unforgivable.

“On Tuesday night the first-seeded Atlanta Hawks got swept out of the playoffs by LeBron James and what Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin found on the ground after holding Phil Jackson upside down and shaking him real hard.”

Pictured: The Giving Tree selflessly handing over its leaves

Oh for chrissakes. Cast thine eyes across yon river Styx, bard; yea verily, Leonidas and his brave Spartans doth make the [masturbatory] motion at thy silly [feces]

This Atlanta Hawks: Anarcho-Syndicalist Basketball Commune stuff is nonsense, of course.

Long live Deadspin

Wouldn't it in theory mean better working hours, benefits, more flexibility, better pay, better representation, etc. for the employees? What would be a benefit of working in a non-unionized setting rather than the opposite?

I would assume that this might change in the future.. right? Wouldn't a unionized workplace generally end up paying better than one that isn't, over time?
In general, yeah, over time, the union shop will probably pay better, but there are no free lunches. If a union shop creates formalized pay-scale rules, your ability to profit after a wildly successful story will be limited. If structure makes it harder to fire people, the firm could hire fewer people, or do so more slowly. Since every media company uses a ton of contractors, and unions only cover full time employees, the firm suddenly has a big incentive to make fewer people full time (which means fewer benefits for more people).

I think there is a real concern about limiting a media firm's ability to move very quickly. Facebook could change their algorithm tomorrow and make most media firms have to completely change overnight. If there are rules to re-assigning people, changing job descriptions etc...that can hurt firm competitiveness, especially since they operate on very thin margins.

I was in a union when I was a teacher, and I thought that was great. I'd join it again...but I also thought that my ability to individually bargain with my employer as a teacher was zilch. I can more that effectively do that a writer/editor, and I could see how a union could slow down that process.

But I could potentially be talked out of that!

I find it a bit odd that American digital media companies employ so many Americans in the first place. Why not just hire people from anywhere else in the world where "comprehensive medical care solutions" isn't a problem? Or pay your American employees to relocate.

Since every media company uses a ton of contractors

What was the deal with Recode? I saw as part of the Vox deal that they had 44 (!) full-time employees and only three (?!) contract employees?

What was the deal with Recode? I saw as part of the Vox deal that they had 44 (!) full-time employees and only three (?!) contract employees?

I can't speak to that completely, but I thought part of it was because Recode had a non-trivial amount of full time employees doing things other than editorial work, like building their events business. That actually may be more valuable than the content itself.

As for hiring non-americans, the biggest digital companies do the bulk of their reporting around US centric stuff...politics and sports. I imagine shifting healthcare costs outside of the states saves you less money than travel and relocation.

Gawker is terrible, a sort of online tabloid for snarky milquetoast millenial douchebags.

Love Gawker media. Love unions. Slam dunk!

Long live Deadspin

Hmm. None of that is funny.:confused:

It's official now, Gawker employees voted to unionize, and it wasn't especially close. It will be interesting to see if other digital media companies follow suit.

I don't know if this is good or not but it sure is interesting.

Top Bottom