What do you guys think of the Piety tree?

Athenaeum

Prince
I recently bought all the DLC all at one, so I don't remember if Faith/Religion is a GNK thing or a BNW one.

But this pertains to the Piety tree when it applies to Faith. What do you guys think of it? I noticed on Emperor that the AI's seem to explore this tree a lot.

I recently tried finishing Piety and I really liked the reformation belief I got, "To the Glory of God" which allows you to buy GP with faith. I was Korea and had the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, so I felt that this went well with me.

The Reformation belief seems to be the best Piety belief to me by far. But on top of just adopting Piety in general, what do you think of actually finishing the entire tree? And do you think it is a good thing to do on the harder difficulties (Emperor and above)?

Faith/Religion is a G&K thing.

I only go for the Piety tree in culture games, where its obligatory. I've never used it in Science or Conquest games, so I don't know much about it.

Faith/Religion is a G&K thing.

I only go for the Piety tree in culture games, where its obligatory. I've never used it in Science or Conquest games, so I don't know much about it.

You must be talking about Vanilla?

G&K doesn't have a beginning piety start like it does in BNW. You have to advance to later eras so that you can get to choose piety in GNK.

G&K doesn't have a beginning piety start like it does in BNW. You have to advance to later eras so that you can get to choose piety in GNK.

True, but in G&K when going for cultural victory, many players would interrupt their first tree for Piety as soon as they unlocked it.

Piety has been improved a bit over time. Theology now gives 25% gold boost from temples (up from 10%) so that isn't bad at all.
Religious Tolerance is terrible and is certainly the worst of the policies. But if you are going for 'To the Glory of God' being able to later purchase any Great Person is incredible. If you like you can even delay getting to the Reformation until the Industrial period if you like (maybe through the extra culture & free policies from world fair).

Anyway you can purchase Great Writers to essentially get back the policies you put into Piety so it is very powerful.
No-one seems to talk about it in Diety though so i'm not sure how good it is there. You need a lot of faith for it to work so that means you need a lot of cities which means Liberty start and possibly desert for desert folklore.

Piety tree is extremely effective, IMHO. Especially "Reformation" policy. In my best game so far, I did open Piety tree and I can't even remember how many GP tile improvement I had. And almost entire map was following my Religion.

I am not a fan of the Piety tree in most games, but I do often dip into it for the policy that lets you buy things with faith cheaper (Mandate of Heaven I think). That one seems pretty useful to me if you've got a good amount of faith generation.

Personally I think the AI favors it too much. It seems that in most of my games at least three AI players will waste their time filling out Piety instead of something more useful. IMHO this isn't a good strategy (which is bad enough in itself), but it also skews the game to make it harder than it ought to be for a human player to get a dominant religion going.

Thread is marked [G&K] and in that context Piety was a poor choice because it conflicted with Rationalism. But then OP mentions a Reformation belief, and that is BnW and not G&K.

I agree with OP that To the Glory of God is the best reformation belief. Jesuit Education is also awesome, but what I like about TtGoG is that it is not a problem to pick it up late, whereas JE needs to be used ASAP.

I would argue that the finishers in every tree are so strong that, in general, if you open a tree you should plan to finish it. This holds for Piety. My games go long, and I am playing (but struggling) at Deity, so that means full Tradition and full Rationalism most of the time. After 3+ picks in an Ideology I usually come back to the tree I opened while waiting to unlock Rationalism. Piety is more fun than the others, and about as strong, so (if I found and TtGoG is still available) I think highly of actually finishing the entire tree, and that this is a good thing to do on the harder difficulties.

Piety has been much improved in BNW. If your going for a Cultural victory its synergy with Aesthetics makes it a desirable policy tree. I still think that Patronage has a slight edge because it aids all victory conditions.

Casimir gets free Social Policy for each new era. So, since it's free, get it! :D

I guess the more specific question I was trying to ask, is how can Piety be utilized to achieve cultural victory in the most optimal way?

I guess the more specific question I was trying to ask, is how can Piety be utilized to achieve cultural victory in the most optimal way?

With Faith you can buy lots of lot Great People and that helps to get better Science (Buying Great scientist), better Hammer (Buying Great engineer) or better Culture (Buying Great musician, Great writer, Great artist)

With Faith you can buy lots of lot Great People and that helps to get better Science (Buying Great scientist), better Hammer (Buying Great engineer) or better Culture (Buying Great musician, Great writer, Great artist)

You have to finish off social policies first before you can buy their special great person. When you finish off the different social policies you get to purchase different great people, for example, if you finish off tradition you get to purchase great engineers only. If you finish off rationalism you get great scientists, etc. etc.

However, for the to the glory of god reformation belief, you can purchase any great person you want. The only bad thing about it is that you need more faith for each next great person you would want to purchase.

You have to finish off social policies first before you can buy their special great person. When you finish off the different social policies you get to purchase different great people, for example, if you finish off tradition you get to purchase great engineers only. If you finish off rationalism you get great scientists, etc. etc.

However, for the to the glory of god reformation belief, you can purchase any great person you want. The only bad thing about it is that you need more faith for each next great person you would want to purchase.

Yes, I know that. If you want to get many scientists, complete Rationalism and with faith you can buy lots of scientists. Same for others as well. :) Either way, you need faith to purchase Great People and for too many purchases you need to get Piety Policies. :)

Either for Sacred Sites (getting tourism from religious buildings) or planting lots of Holy Sites and getting tourism from the culture bonus. Ideally you need Historical Landmarks, Hotel, Airport and National Visitors Centre to get the most effect from this.

Top Bottom