Collective Rule and expansion finance woes.

Arte_Et_Marte

Chieftain
I've been having a few problems expanding in the early game with BNW, in G&K settling new cities usually meant I was getting more money, but with the loss of river and sea gold founding too many cities is actually draining my economy, even if I'm lucky enough to have a Civ' closeby to set up a trade route.

It sounds weird but with Republic and with the Roman UA my cities are churning out units and buildings faster than my fledgling economy can support. It helps getting the shrine and monument up ASAP, but then I'm stuck having to build something that I can't afford or really need. I know I can build stuff and then sell it, but it seems incredibly wasteful.

So I'm wondering that if after I've settled my second city from Collective Rule I can let it grow to two pop while building a monument and a shrine, then build settlers there, and so on with with the next city.

I'm also wondering if you really need a monument in every city with BNW's reduced SP penalties, especially if you throw in Representation too.

Finally while Liberty is making it easy to expand, but hard to maintain, I'm not having that problem with Tradition. While you're expanding slightly slower money is nowhere near as much of a bottleneck as you have 4 free monuments, extra gold in your capital, and freely garrisoned units empire wide (I still don't understand why that's not limited), so much so I can afford to use my trade route to grow the new cities faster. At the end of the day Liberty doesn't seem to help me support more cities, just to get them faster as happiness is the ultimate cap on that. Technically there's Meritocracy, but first your cities have to reach a point where you can afford the road.

What do you guys think?

Top Bottom