Finding & Moving Objects for Rewards

Gray Wolf

Winter Wolf
I can't remember which mod I played where I had to find something and pick it up and then carry it to some other location (maybe it was my capital) to get some kind of reward.

I'd like to put the Ark of the Covenant in my mod and do something where people have to find it and return it somewhere to get some kind of reward.

I made a Wonder called Ark of the Covenant... but that's not exciting enough.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone knows more about this and how to implement it in a mod.

I also have a Wonder called the Holy Grail. Same thing. It's not exciting enough. I'd rather see civilizations actually try to find the Holy Grail and do something with it.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of reward a civilization would be able to get ...

And would I need to make the Holy Grail a resource first for this to happen?
or is there a way to do it with a Wonder? Or a combination of a Wonder and Resource?

In other words I don't know anything and need help! ;) :lol:

I'm not sure how to do it myself, but I think you might find it done in one of the conquests - the Middle Ages one. You'll definitely need victory points scoring enabled and I believe also reverse capture the flag.

Actually, just check the help file that comes with Conquests and the scenario properties pages/scenario properties page. It would seem it IS reverse capture the flag and it explains it there:

In a game with "Reverse Capture the Flag" enabled, one or more of the initial civilizations are given a special (new) "Victory" unit. (The Victory unit looks like a magical relic, perhaps like a holy grail on a cart). This unit has no attack or defense - nor can it move on its own - and thus must be transported by a friendly ground unit. In these respects it is identical to the Princess flag unit. The "Reverse Capture the Flag" victory condition is fulfilled when the player "delivers" the Victory unit to any Victory Point Location on the map.

Under game rules in the Scenario Properties you need to have "Capture The Unit" selected. Then under Victory Point Limits you can set the amount of gold you receive by capturing the unit and returning it to your capital. The "Capture Unit" can be mobile, but in order to deliver it to the capital the very last move has to be with it being captured and held by one of your units.

You capture the unit by moving one of your units onto the same point as the "Capture Unit" and then the Capture Unit icon will appear as one of your unit action choices. Once it is captured your unit description will turn red to show it has a captured unit.

To create the capture unit you create it like you would a normal unit, but give it 0A/0D, uncheck disband, check the Load flag, the Flag Unit flag under AI strategies, and highlight Flag Unit under unit abilities.

If your scenario has victory point locations you would select "Reverse Capture The Flag" under scenario properties and then the flag unit can be returned to any victory point location.

In a game with "Reverse Capture the Flag" enabled, one or more of the initial civilizations are given a special (new) "Victory" unit. (The Victory unit looks like a magical relic, perhaps like a holy grail on a cart). This unit has no attack or defense - nor can it move on its own - and thus must be transported by a friendly ground unit. In these respects it is identical to the Princess flag unit. The "Reverse Capture the Flag" victory condition is fulfilled when the player "delivers" the Victory unit to any Victory Point Location on the map.

Thanks Rob. That's exactly what I was looking for. And I forgot about the Princess flag and that may be fun to implement also.

Actually, just check the help file that comes with Conquests and the scenario properties pages/scenario properties page. It would seem it IS reverse capture the flag and it explains it there:

For some reason, I don't have a help file anywhere, but I should have looked in the FAQ because the FAQ has some info about the Reverse Capture the Flag setting.

Under game rules in the Scenario Properties you need to have "Capture The Unit" selected. Then under Victory Point Limits you can set the amount of gold you receive by capturing the unit and returning it to your capital...

Thanks, I was pretty sure that I carried something back to my capital. It's been so long since I played it though so I wasn't sure....

The "Capture Unit" can be mobile, but in order to deliver it to the capital the very last move has to be with it being captured and held by one of your units.

That's interesting that they can be mobile.

You capture the unit by moving one of your units onto the same point as the "Capture Unit" and then the Capture Unit icon will appear as one of your unit action choices. Once it is captured your unit description will turn red to show it has a captured unit.

Thanks... that part sounds easy enough.

To create the capture unit you create it like you would a normal unit, but give it 0A/0D, uncheck disband, check the Load flag, the Flag Unit flag under AI strategies, and highlight Flag Unit under unit abilities.

Ok, so which civilization(s) should get the unit... if it was the holy grail for example? It wouldn't make sense to assign it to every civilization.

If your scenario has victory point locations you would select "Reverse Capture The Flag" under scenario properties and then the flag unit can be returned to any victory point location.

That would definitely be useful if you have your own map and victory point locations set up. I'm going to play around with that and see if I can get everything to work.

It would really be cool if you had to save some soldier units and bring them back home...

Anyway, thanks once again for your help...

Ok, so which civilization(s) should get the unit... if it was the holy grail for example? It wouldn't make sense to assign it to every civilization.

Idk how you have your game set-up, but one way I guess would be to have a GW auto-produce one. In which case the grail wouldn't have to be available to any civ. Just have it produce a grail every say 100 turns or something and then have the GW go obsolete before it can produce a second one.

If you were doing a scenario with pre-placed units you could make it a barbarian unit surrounded by special wall or terrain units that would have to be defeated in order to get to it.

I'm just spit-ballin' here, as I'm sure there are other, more creative ways to go about it...

Or you could just make it a GW instead of a flag unit with effects similar to Longevity...?

Idk how you have your game set-up, but one way I guess would be to have a GW auto-produce one. In which case the grail wouldn't have to be available to any civ. Just have it produce a grail every say 100 turns or something and then have the GW go obsolete before it can produce a second one.

If you were doing a scenario with pre-placed units you could make it a barbarian unit surrounded by special wall or terrain units that would have to be defeated in order to get to it.

I'm just spit-ballin' here, as I'm sure there are other, more creative ways to go about it...

Or you could just make it a GW instead of a flag unit with effects similar to Longevity...?

Thanks. Those are really good ideas. I am pretty creative most of the time but I think I needed some help for ideas with this.

I like the idea of using Great Wonders to auto produce a unit 1-100+ turns. That way I can try to make it only appear once in the game. And then make it where you can capture it, etc. I'll definitely set up the Ark of the Covenant that way.

I also like your idea about making the Holy Grail like Longevity. I'm undecided right now though...

Thanks again.

I skipped over the detailed posts - just wanted to add that the Mayan scenario (iirc "sisters" is in the title) included in the standard game has the princesses and that AoI uses crates of gold that have to be returned to the capital.

I skipped over the detailed posts - just wanted to add that the Mayan scenario (iirc "sisters" is in the title) included in the standard game has the princesses and that AoI uses crates of gold that have to be returned to the capital.

Thanks Blue Monkey. I'll take a look at both of those to get good examples of flag units.

Gray Wolf... In EFZI2 Complete, Supply Parcels are returned to the Headquarters = Capitol for 100 supplies as Gold is not used.

In Scenario Properties under Scenario, Default Game Rules, flag Capture the Unit.
IF you also want Victory Point type win, highlight Victory Point Scoring.

Note: with "Capture the Unit", the Unit is taken to the Capitol and provides Gold or what ever you use for Gold in the Game.

Under Victory Point Limits, Victory Points, Gold for Capture, set amount.
Under Victory Point Limits, Victory Point Winning Conditions, Victory Point Limit, set the points to Win. Minimum is 1000.
Under Victory Points, Victory Point Scoring, set number of points per turn. Maximum is 100.
Flag "Allow Anyone to Capture Any flag" to allow any CIV to capture any Flag Unit.

Under Units in the Main Editor, Add or select the Unit you want as the Flag Unit, I use Supply Parcel. Under Unit Abilities:, Highlight Flag Unit and Immobile if it is not suppose to move on its own. I also Highlight Foot Unit so it can be transported by transports that carry Only Foot Units. I also Flag Hidden Nationality to prevent Wars when a CIV grabs a Supply Parcel on the Map that belongs to another CIV. Under AI Strategies, Flag "Flag Unit. Then fill in any other areas for the Unit such as Prerequisite, etc... Under Class, Set Land Unit. Under Standard Orders, Flag Skip Turn, Wait and Fortify. Because it is an immobile unit, Go To and Explore are not flagged and because you do not want them Disbanded, it is not flagged.

Under Unit Action, Flag Load and if you also want the Unit to be able to be Air Dropped, Flag airdrop.
If the Unit does airdrop, Under Unit Statistics, Operational Range:, Set the number of tiles it can airdrop.

Under General Settings in the Main Editor, Default Units, Flag Unit:, select the Unit such as Supply Parcel. Instead, You could set the "Captured Unit:" as the Flag Unit to gain what the Flag Unit gains because the Flag Unit is set in Units as the Flag Unit.
EDIT: You do not have to Flag Capture Unit or Flag Unit in General Settings because it is the Unit settings under Units that sets the Flag Unit for use. Also, you can set more than one Flag Unit and the AI will use all and take them to their Capitol :)

IF you want to set a Victory Point Location that a Unit holds for Victory Points each turn it stays on the Location and that accumulate for a Victory Point WIN, in the Editor, Right Click on the Map and select Properties then Flag Victory Location. If you want to place a different image for the Victory Location, you can make a Building, such as the TV Station in EFZI2 Complete and place it on the Location as a Visual. The New Building is made and placed on the buildings large and buildings small Files and added to text entries the same as adding any new Building. Make the same Building for the x_victory.pcx file that goes in the terrain Folder...That is what shows on the Map. Then in the Editor, under Improvement or Wonder, under Advance, you would make and set an Advance that cannot be gained to allow building the Improvement or Wonder. I use Small Wonder so I can have the TV station show in the Civilopedia as a special building there. I use the Tech Advance I made and set as "Unobtainable" as the Required Advance so the TV station cannot be built.

Vuldacon, thank you for the detailed response! That's a wealth of good information there. And I downloaded the zombie 2 mod so I could look at your .biq file and flag unit settings, etc. I pretty much understand everything you mentioned so I just need some time to try out stuff in my own mod...

Anyway, I have been wanting to play your game and fight some zombies for a while now, so this gave me a good excuse to download it. I will probably take a much needed break from modding for a while and just kill me some zombies! :)

Top Bottom