Chateau's require Chivalry AND Engineering (fort)

s0nny80y

Emperor
This is not explained in detail, however I hope this bit of info helps. Probably this applies to the other fort/improvement UI?

Chateaus currently CAN be built next to deer camps and sheep pastures. Also very buggy regarding which adjacent tile it can be built on.

It can also be built next to other civs resources if you have a border next to it. :)

I love Chateaux! ;)

France's UA doesn't sound too powerful... until you actually play the Culture game. Culture Wonderspam, ho!

Yea I was afraid that France would have been kicked down to the ROFL Tier™ with all the other European civs, but they actually sound very strong still.

From a 'strength' perspective, they're pretty good, IMO. In the 'playstyle' perspective, they're completely different. You want to go tall almost certainly, where before they were rather encouraged (IMO) to go wide.

And the Chateaux are the key aspect to make everything work. You want to Wonderspam just the culture ones (most importantly the Louvre--nice touch there--and the Uffizi), and then watch your Tourism soar (pun intended) when Flight is researched.

Has anyone here have any experience with AI France yet? I'm just curious if they go for the culture game a lot more now or are they still DOW happy?

To be more on topic, has anyone seen the AI prioritize building Chateau's after they unlock it? The only time I played against France they were my neighbors when I was testing the Assyrians.

AI Napoleon still has a warmonger flavor. In my very first game everyone on my continent hated Napoleon from the start and he declared war on a neighbor. After that he declared war on me and came at me with a massive army.

I'm guessing with chateaux-spamming you also get some sort of Maginot Line thing going?

Well, not really. Chateaux cannot be built next to each other.

Of course, you may just be making a slanted critique of the Maginot Line, but note that the Wehrmacht never attacked it... it was dealt with in another manner.

I think he might actually mean a defensive bonus of sorts from it. You'd still have a wall of sorts between you and the enemy, but would need something to keep them from just coming through the gaps.

Yes, you can get quite a good 'castle' defense going on.... :)

Probably the only Civ that can do it without losing other useful bonuses. Well, except for Citadels with that WC motion passed...

I thought that "Castles" (Chateaux is difficult to spell) can only be built adjacent to a luxury improvement/resource.. is that no the case?

No, that's the case, BigOz. (They'd be totally bonkers without it.) And it's resource, not improved resource, incidentally.

However, once you start actually using them, you'll see that.... they're kinda everywhere.

Put a missile troop on each of them, and you have a very powerful guerrila-type defense to any invasion.

Also, a very stealth historical nod is that France REALLY wants to beeline Chivalry for the Chateau. (In my game, I got the GL, then beelined it.) This makes your best unit... the Knight. This is the first game I've used Horse Troops in any real capacity, but it felt good to be using the Pincushions of Avignon to trample Caesar.

Edit: *bow* I'm glad you liked it, anandus. :)

Top Bottom