have you seen a city flip?

Have you seen a city flip?

• Total voters
Ironically it's only happened to me in the one game where I wasn't playing culturally.

edit: by 'happened to me', I mean that I gained a city from another Civ. I haven't lost any of my cities to culture flip yet.

Yes. In my recent King game I was playing for a diplomatic victory as Venice and went Freedom why both India and Brasil (both heavily into tourism) went Order. One of my cities (which was a CS more or less nested between India and Brasil) flipped to India at some point.

I just got Shanghai from the Chinese - but thanks to size 24, the city was in resistance until the game was finished. :lol:

I just flipped the Aztec's biggest city last night. He was at war with me on and off the whole game, so I razed it. It was too vulnerable to keep. The fool is keeping his autocracy and he keeps taking city-states which make his unhappiness worse.

You must have a different ideology than them and they must have -20 happiness penalty due to ideological pressure (via tourism). You don't necessarily need to have a dominant or influential tourism level against them. Several civs with the same ideology as you could compound the pressure against the civs who do not follow it, allowing them to receive a bigger penalty than you would give them by yourself.

So it's definitely -20 or worse from the influence and not their total happiness being -20 or worse? I purposely played Settler with only domination checked and pumped tourism. It's shown Revolutionary Wave -21 for a while, but his actual happiness is +9 I think. Now that I got to Internet, I might be able to get to Dominant eventually so maybe that will help more.

I once got Seoul flipped to me from Attila... (He killed Sejong in classical era)
It was a 50 pop city and it took forever for it to get out of resistance...
I was swimming in 80+ happiness but once I got this city ---- BOOM!
And you know what was the first thing Attila do after it flipped? He used like 10 great general to bomb the land back...

As Poland on Immortal, I flipped four large (+20 pop) Zulu cities on another continent, basically Shaka's entire productive core. He DoWed the first time, but I beat him so badly (bombers vs Great War Infantry) he requested peace and remained Friendly the rest of the game.

Apparently flipping is a bit random. In a game as France, my neighbour Morroco who also picked Freedom had a Roman city flipped to him when it was obvious my tourism influence that made Rome with revolutionary wave.

Meh.

yes, and it is game breaking. 40 unhappiness has enough penalties already associated with it, random city flipping with absolutely no warning and losing my 12 bombers planted in that city to Bismarck, the guy who I DESTROYED and got down to one city. It's and as of right now should just be removed from the game. The weirdest part is that my culture was rather high and my tourism took off recently, yet I still somehow get >20 ideological unhappiness despite Bismarck being down to one city. It's game ruining

I flipped three cities last night (two belonging to Russia and one of Dido's). I'm playing as France, Prince level. It's late game, standard speed, 1990AD.

This is the first time I've flipped cities, and three in one game. And a lot of game left.

Since the Russian cities were right smack in the middle of the Russian Empire, I sold them both to Bluetooth. He's been at war with Russia quite a bit, so I figured let him deal with her. Besides, my spies have said she is plotting against me and she's slightly ahead of me tech-wise.

I sold Dido's city to the Incas just because I didn't want the city, and he's warred at her in the past as well.

The Zulu were really unhappy (like, -100something happiness) because of their stubborn autocratic leader, and one of their biggest cities flipped to my empire (I was Venice, I think). I didn't want the city and I was pretty afraid of the Zulu (they were my allies, but also by far the biggest military in the game), so I tried to sell it back to them, and were confused that they weren't willing to give me anything for it. I ended up giving it to them as a gesture of good faith, and then the city flipped back to me next turn. I ended up puppeting it because I didn't have the heart to raze it. Imagine how that would be.
"We've succeed the revolution, we are under Venetian control now. Now, new commander, what do you want to do with the city?"
"Raise it down!"

I couldn't do that morally, so I just took the happiness hit. Hopefully giving it back for one turn gave me a positive diplo modifyer with the zulu. They didn't declare war on me for the rest of that game, so who knows. I did have about 20 trade routes with them, but that really was probably decreasing their money loss from about -1500 to -1400, so that didn't actually help them much. Their military and leader stubbornness was actually that big.

So it's definitely -20 or worse from the influence and not their total happiness being -20 or worse? I purposely played Settler with only domination checked and pumped tourism. It's shown Revolutionary Wave -21 for a while, but his actual happiness is +9 I think. Now that I got to Internet, I might be able to get to Dominant eventually so maybe that will help more.

No it is -20 total happiness, the total on the right most column. The tooltip for this says as much. Thats the reason it can be hard to flip them, because despite the huge pressure they have on them, they may have so much happiness anyway it doesn't even matter.

Four cities in one game, when I was barely paying attention to culture/tourism. Dozen other games, nada.

No it is -20 total happiness, the total on the right most column. The tooltip for this says as much. Thats the reason it can be hard to flip them, because despite the huge pressure they have on them, they may have so much happiness anyway it doesn't even matter.

Yea even on settler, I can't get their happiness down enough. I've even banned all the luxuries they have. Finally got them -, but only like -5.

I tried another game, and it's really weird. You have to pick an ideology once you get to the appropriate era, right? I'm almost done with the tree and Genghis hasn't even gotten an ideology yet. Is he really that slow with science?

What would be the best opponent to pick to see their city flip?

warmongers generally have the lowest happiness. I've flipped Shaka's cities more than anyone else.

I've seen city flipping on both sides where cities flipped to my civilization and cities flipping to other civilizations.

Currently playing a King game as Poland. I was first ideology adopter with Freedom. Been a while ago, but currently the game is at 1950 (standard speed) and half the world is Freedom, 5 are Order and Assyria is Autocracy. 5 are in revolutionary wave, and 1 is in civil resistance.

I have the highest tourism output at +123 per turn. No civs have had a city flip yet. Indonesia has -47 unhappiness due to public opinion and has had that for a while, but their overall happiness is at -8. They are the worst off in regard to unhappiness.

So idk what's going on, does the overall unhappiness have to be below -20 or just the unhappiness due to public opinion? (For cities to start flipping)

a buddy and i went to war against the huns and during this war a hunnic city flipped over to me. the huns took it back the next turn

Currently playing a King game as Poland. I was first ideology adopter with Freedom. Been a while ago, but currently the game is at 1950 (standard speed) and half the world is Freedom, 5 are Order and Assyria is Autocracy. 5 are in revolutionary wave, and 1 is in civil resistance.

I have the highest tourism output at +123 per turn. No civs have had a city flip yet. Indonesia has -47 unhappiness due to public opinion and has had that for a while, but their overall happiness is at -8. They are the worst off in regard to unhappiness.

So idk what's going on, does the overall unhappiness have to be below -20 or just the unhappiness due to public opinion? (For cities to start flipping)

Like I said a few posts above, it is their total happiness. So that -8 will need to get to -20 before they will even consider to start flipping cities.

Oops, yeah you did say it just a few posts above :/ I posted a quick post from the first page without reading any other pages... Good for me being silly :(

Top Bottom