Barbarians spawn in my land???HELP!!!

Subotai777

Warlord
Before I have started the game I have selected option NO barbarians.Why they spawn in my teritory???

Those aren't Barbarians. Those are Rebels. You're such a terrible leader that your own citizenry want you dead. You should probably abdicate and seek asylum in some other country.

- Marty Lund

It's because your people have just about had it with your leadership and are rebelling. You're in a civil war bro...

This highlights one of the problems in Civ5 (and perhaps Civ4 too). You aren`t really told about the severity of a situation in a `real world` way.

In real life, if your government had gone into a civil war, that would be the FIRST NEWS told to you. Your advisers would make it so you would be in no doubt, the news would plaster it on the TV, people would tell you!

Civ5 should pop up a splash screen (like a newspaper or whatever) telling you, you are in a civil war (mild or serious) with an explanation that Unhappiness is too great, the moment the first bunch of rebels appear on the map. That way, the Player would know exactly what`s going on and not just assume they`re Barbarians.

You have a big red angry face where your happiness is that tells you the same thing.

Sure, you could say this one should have a newspaper feature, but what about the next thing? Every feature could be made "more realistic" in some way, but that way is often pasted on window dressing. And while this can be nice, there's a limited number of resources that can be devoted to art, programming, designing, etc. and I'm not sure this is necessarily the best place to spend resources.

You have a big red angry face where your happiness is that tells you the same thing.

Sure, you could say this one should have a newspaper feature, but what about the next thing? Every feature could be made "more realistic" in some way, but that way is often pasted on window dressing. And while this can be nice, there's a limited number of resources that can be devoted to art, programming, designing, etc. and I'm not sure this is necessarily the best place to spend resources.

No. An unhappy red face in the top left hand of the screen is not enough.

A splash page for important events: War, a game-changing invention and Civil War would help the player understand the situation immediately. Much like earlier Civs had. It would also add that immersive aspect since in reality it would be the first news you`d be told by your adviser in no uncertain terms, as in "SIRE, IT`S NOT JUST A FEW UNHAPPY PEOPLE! WE ARE IN A CIVIL WAR."

A few upstart students armed with light weapons causing trouble does not constitute a civil war. These are merely terrorists. They should be crushed without mercy to give the State conscripts some basic combat experience.

No need for any type of notification. Any advisor that even suggested that the terrorists posed a threat to the regime would need to be disemboweled and displayed in the city commons.

Financial Advisor: "Sire, it's not just a few unhappy people! We are in a civil war!"

Tyrant: "You dare suggest anyone could possibly be unhappy with my rule?" Removes pistol, fires, and splashes Financial Advisor's brains across the wall. "Well, what's your report?"

Military Advisor: "No problems, sire. Just the usual foreign sponsored terrorists. Not even worth mentioning."

Science Advisor: "I agree, sire. Clearly the Financial Advisor was suffering some sort of delusional psychosis. He posed a threat to us all. You saved our lives!"

Culture Advisor: "Our TV stations will immediately begin broadcasting news of your heroic actions today. Thank you, sire. You saved us!"

Why not?

A splash page for important events: War, a game-changing invention and Civil War would help the player understand the situation immediately. Much like earlier Civs had. It would also add that immersive aspect since in reality it would be the first news you`d be told by your adviser in no uncertain terms, as in "SIRE, IT`S NOT JUST A FEW UNHAPPY PEOPLE! WE ARE IN A CIVIL WAR."

Why stop there? Why not have biographies showing great people growing up, tracing their entire family lineage? It would be more immersvie. Rather than barracks giving experience points and showing an experience point bar, show videos of troops training in those barracks. Show them first rusty and not forming their formations efficiently. Then, as they grow more experienced, show them very efficient and precise in what they do. Rather than having a progress bar for research, show scientists attempting and failing at coming up with the technology before they have a breakthrough.

All these things sound nice in theory. If you want a game that costs $300 and takes seven years to come out, every little immersive thing would be "nice," but you can't do everything and I fail to see why this thing is necessary or particularly superior when it comes to immersion. You already get visual clues that it's happening in the form of city grown slowing down. It doesn't come out of the blue.

Umm, if you don't turn off advisor help you *will* get a big warning screen the first time your happiness gets that low.

Moral of this story - if you don't know the game really well, don't turn off the help!

A few upstart students armed with light weapons causing trouble does not constitute a civil war. These are merely terrorists. They should be crushed without mercy to give the State conscripts some basic combat experience.

No need for any type of notification. Any advisor that even suggested that the terrorists posed a threat to the regime would need to be disemboweled and displayed in the city commons.

Financial Advisor: "Sire, it's not just a few unhappy people! We are in a civil war!"

Tyrant: "You dare suggest anyone could possibly be unhappy with my rule?" Removes pistol, fires, and splashes Financial Advisor's brains across the wall. "Well, what's your report?"

Military Advisor: "No problems, sire. Just the usual foreign sponsored terrorists. Not even worth mentioning."

Science Advisor: "I agree, sire. Clearly the Financial Advisor was suffering some sort of delusional psychosis. He posed a threat to us all. You saved our lives!"

Culture Advisor: "Our TV stations will immediately begin broadcasting news of your heroic actions today. Thank you, sire. You saved us!"

+1 Internet

Those are not barbarians. Those are rebels. Fix yo god darn economy dawg, don't summon another CSA

Why not?

Why stop there?

Snipped.

C'mon, Louis. That's a huge honkin' slippery slope fallacy.

A red unhappy face symbol hardly stuck amidst a bunch of other synbols on the infobar is hardly sufficiently clear communication to the player as to why rebels are spawning in their lands. This was another patched-in game mechanic. If they're going to patch in major changes, they also ought to patch in a modicum of notification. It's not like we're talking about creating new assets. Just the standard exclamation point notification or advisor pop-up.

Some perspective here is important. You and I know about them because we're plugged into the community.

Leave tips on and it'll basically do that (unless they forgot to change the threshold for that window from -20 to -10). Yeah, it'll bother you with other stuff as well, but there you go.

Anyway, now you know :)

And culture from the Honor policy. :3
Hmm I wonder if this could be, what's the word for it, ah there it is -- exploited somehow? :mischief:;)

Also @ Jatta Pake, please write a story of the ultimate ruler and his divine wisdom in the Stories & Tales section, or I'll have you detained and force you to do it at gunpoint. :goodjob:

A red unhappy face symbol hardly stuck amidst a bunch of other synbols on the infobar is hardly sufficiently clear communication to the player as to why rebels are spawning in their lands. This was another patched-in game mechanic. If they're going to patch in major changes, they also ought to patch in a modicum of notification. It's not like we're talking about creating new assets. Just the standard exclamation point notification or advisor pop-up.

I'm pretty sure an exclamation point notification does appear on the right hand side of the screen when you spawn rebels. It says something to the tune of "Because your empire is at -10 happiness, rebels have spawned in your territory!"

Top Bottom