Should Obama approve the Keystone XL pipeline?

I do not know what the US is doing wrong, but it was no problem finding refueling options for gas vehicles in Germany more than a decade ago. And since then the situation has improved even further.

The problem with gas in much of the US is that the current infrastructure is being used very close to maximum capacity already. And so to add a lot more consumption would require a massive investment in increasing core capacity. The existing pipelines can't be made to carry more. So 1000s of miles of new pipelines would have to be built. There are places in the US that would be OK with current trunk capacity, but in the most densely populated areas the lines just can't support much more usage.

Just a few years ago I didn't understand why Obama wouldn't approve of it, if only just because it was going to happen anyway I figured. Kind of feel ashamed of myself now for thinking that way.

Just a few years ago I didn't understand why Obama wouldn't approve of it, if only just because it was going to happen anyway I figured. Kind of feel ashamed of myself now for thinking that way.

You shouldn't, because you were correct to think that way. The only reason this is blocked is partisan politics. As soon as the other party has the upper hand, this deal or one like it will push through.

J

2017. I said the next change in party. In 2025 we might see another. By then it may be moot.

J

If the Republicans get the White House and both houses of congress in 2016 by 2025 I expect EVERYTHING would be moot. The damage from the last Republican administration hasn't been undone yet. If we give them another chance at this point I'd guess it would be game over.

You shouldn't, because you were correct to think that way. The only reason this is blocked is partisan politics. As soon as the other party has the upper hand, this deal or one like it will push through.

J

Pretty much, though the red states might have to pay an environmental price for leaks.
And if scientist are right the world will have to pay a price as humanity kicks the can down the road.

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Presidential candidate Ben Carson has issued a dire warning that President Obama’s cancellation of the Keystone Pipeline has left the United States with “virtually no place to store grain.”

Without the massive pipeline, Carson told Fox News, the nation’s network of silos is woefully inadequate “to store the bounty of grain that we soweth.”

Carson said that as President, he would seek additional places to store grain, such as “the hollowed-out heads on Mt. Rushmore.”

“A nation’s greatness is measured by its ability to store grain,” he said. “I will return America to its former greatness.”
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/carson-loss-of-keystone-leaves-u-s-with-no-place-to-store-grain

This entire thread is like "Drill baby Drill 2.0"

First the democrats said that drilling for more oil won't lower oil prices (Alaska). :rolleyes:

Then after the oil price crashed because too much oil was being drilled in northern USA on private land, they say a big fat oil pipeline from Canada is a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Then in a year or two when oil is expensive again, they will say the pipeline might be worth it, but is too dangerous. :rolleyes:
http://fortune.com/2015/11/08/keystone-pipeline-2/

It has been seven years since TransCanada first proposed building the Keystone XL Pipeline. It was designed to deliver crude from Canada’s western oil fields down to U.S. refineries in the Gulf Coast. While the project was important for Canada and its oil industry-at the time, it was hardly noticed in the U.S. Opposition from environmentalists was almost nil, as pipelines, even big ones like Keystone, were ubiquitous, safe, and heavily regulated.

But somehow, Keystone XL became a proxy battle between Democrats and Republicans. Suddenly, lawmakers from states nowhere near the construction zone, such as California, Massachusetts, Alabama, and Louisiana, were holding up the pipeline like it was either some sort of environmental catastrophe in the making or a critical job-creating juggernaut that would lower gasoline prices for all Americans.

There was also fighting at the international level between the left-leaning Obama Administration and the right-leaning Harper Administration of Canada. Prime Minister Stephen Harper was baffled by the level of political infighting over the pipeline—he famously said that the decision was a “no brainer” for the Obama White House, which wasn’t the greatest choice of words.

It is no coincidence that Obama killed the pipeline days after Trudeau got elected in Canada.
A man who vowed not to build a pipeline west to British Columbia and go over the USA's head.

I suppose when oil prices go back up, the oil can just stay there in Canada with nowhere to go.
High gas prices tend to make liberals happy, so win-win there.

It's like if California was facing a 20 year drought that would depopulate half the state.
Libs would accept the drought rather than build a water pipeline down from Washington.
They would then tell you how impossible a water pipeline is while arguing the $100 billion railway from LA to San Francisco was totally worth it.

Why would the pipeline benefit us? They already sell to us anyways. In fact, without the pipeline, we are the only ones they can sell it to. With the pipeline, they can sell the oil to other people to build it. Makes no sense for us to help them sell oil to other countries.

Why would the pipeline benefit us? They already sell to us anyways. In fact, without the pipeline, we are the only ones they can sell it to. With the pipeline, they can sell the oil to other people to build it. Makes no sense for us to help them sell oil to other countries.

That is terrible logic.

Why did we not just keep Iraq's oil?
Why let Iraq sell their oil on the world market?
Should we not have made a law that they could only sell to the USA?

The USA is running a global order, one that we benefit tremendously from heading.
Our allies Japan and Europe have to import huge amounts of oil to run their economies. (98% and 77%)
We must import half our oil.
Whether it is patrolling the seas against pirates, supporting a barbaric nation like Saudi Arabia, or invading Iraq, securing oil supplies is a major strategic goal.
Heck, all the crap us and Russia are doing in Syria right now probably has something to do with oil and gas pipelines directed towards Europe.

The Keystone pipeline is a wonderful idea because the oil will physically run through our fingers before being exported around the world.

Yes, Canada will benefit moneywise because they will have more than 1 customer.
And we, the USA, WILL BENEFIT, because one day when the crap hits the fan and Iran closes the Persian Gulf for a few weeks, we can literally steal Canada's oil from our fancy new pipeline and pay them a "fair" price for it.

We can do that now without the Pipeline. Because, see, they can't sell it to anyone else right now.

Sure, the oil may have to physically run through our fingers if the pipeline is there but right now it does that anyways, except it doesn't have anywhere to end up right now except us. We already have Canada's oil secured, building a pipeline allowing them to sell to other Non-USA countries would make it less secure. And its not like we can force them to pump oil into our pipeline if they just refuse to pump it anywhere.

We would have loved to keep all of Iraq's oil, but see the greedy companies that paid off their congressman wouldn't make as much money that way.

I think that killing this pipeline is a mistake.
The tar sands will still be drilled.
Transport via means other than a pipeline is "dirtier" and more dangerous.
The pipeline helps promote a long term supply of oil for the US (not just for gasoline but also for all the other things that petroleum is used for).

I don't think that's a given.

Top Bottom