"View City" option doesn't appear after conquering a non capital city

Pep

King
In my latest game, I've conquered a non capital city (Ollantaytambo) founded by a destroyed civilization. As you can see in the attached image, "View City" option doesn't appear after I've captured it. It seems this kind of windows, with several options to choose through buttons, can only show 4 options at most (I don't remember seeing 5 options ever). If this is the case, you can always raze it after pupetting or anexing, so I think "Raze the City!" should be replaced with "View City" instead (with capital cities, "View City" option always appears because you can't raze them).

I've also attached a savegame before the conquest of the city.

Attachments

• Cant view city after conquest.jpg
    Cant view city after conquest.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 100
  • Cant view city after conquest.7z
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
This is a long-standing interface defect/poor design decision. However, your proposed solution (replace Raze with View) would be suboptimal. If you puppet and later raze (even on the same turn), your culture costs ratchet up, since razing requires annexation. In contrast, if you raze immediately, your culture costs don't ratchet up.

Another tempting solution would be to replace Annex with View (ordinarily you would puppet before annexing, since the city will be in revolt for a number of turns initially anyway). However, if you have taken the Iron Curtain tenet, you need to annex cities immediately to get any benefit from that tenet. (You could select Raze and then immediately cancel the razing, but that is too kludgy.)

The right solution is for Firaxis to code in a fifth slot when Liberate is also an option.

They should make the buttons narrower and have room for two columns worth of choices.

Preferably, the could start with
"Liberate" "Keep" "Raze" "View"

And then when it is out of resistance (ie you keep)
"Puppet" "Annex".. if Annex then prompt for production

Top Bottom