Weird bug with resources

Blue3

Chieftain
In my most recent game I made a deal where I imported Xenomass for 25 turns to build a Wonder. Built the wonder. Let the deal expire. But then it said I had -3 (that's NEGATIVE 3) Xenomass. Eventually got some Xenomass of my own, put the improvement on it, and it then changed from -3 to 0.

How to fix this bug?

For example, I had 0 Xenomass. Traded so I could get 3 for 25 turns. Built a wonder using it. I let the trade expire. Now I have -3 Xenomass, and it affects my gameplay because then I had to ask for twice as much for something else I needed to build.

You imported resources. You build something with the resources. You then stopped importing the resources. So you ended up with negative resources. That's perfectly normal and reasonable behavior.

What exactly was the outcome that you expected? That you somehow magically get to keep the resources that you no longer import? That's obviously not how it works. You'll have to fill the deficit first before you actually get new resources.

If anything you should be thankful that the wonder actually keeps working while you're in a resource deficit. ;)

You imported resources. You build something with the resources. You then stopped importing the resources. So you ended up with negative resources. That's perfectly normal and reasonable behavior.

What exactly was the outcome that you expected? That you somehow magically get to keep the resources that you no longer import? That's obviously not how it works. You'll have to fill the deficit first before you actually get new resources.

If anything you should be thankful that the wonder actually keeps working while you're in a resource deficit. ;)
Why? I don't understand. The resources used to construct it were built, they were used. The construction was completed, so I don't have or need the resource anymore.

For example, if I need wood to build a cabin, I import/buy some wood. I build the cabin. Then I stop buying/importing wood, because the cabin is complete. But with this system, it would then say I have Negative amounts of wood?? That's not even logical.

Resources are an abstraction that the game uses to have an easy gameplay mechanic.

You might have noticed that you don't gain resources every turn, but rather get a fixed amount once you add that resource to your network. Buildings and units cost resource "maintenance", just like you'll find in any other game that uses a similar resource system. All of that symbolizes that resource quantity is actually an amount of resources being produced in a certain time frame. While it is true that is does not make much logical sense to have to continuously pay for a building material resource, in terms of game mechanics, it has to work that way, because if any production just used up a resource for a limited amount of time, then you'd not be limited by that resource at all once you have a few of them available to you.

And that's fine, because again, it's an abstraction.

Top Bottom