Mongolia

It's even less than that.
if you have a bigger army, you can get any CS - that you could just as well conquer with this very army.

I had an idea, but I'm not sure if it fits flavor-wise.

Upon successfully bullying a city-state, Mongolia could get enough influence to become an ally. This would be somewhat similar to the current UA in that the city-state effectively becomes an extension of the empire, and is somewhat historically accurate. However, this suggestion might encourage diplomatic play too much, and it's also a total reversal from how Genghis plays in vanilla.

But does annexing only remove cultural and defence buildings while conquering can grant you a devastated city with 2 or 3 buildings left ?

But does annexing only remove cultural and defence buildings while conquering can grant you a devastated city with 2 or 3 buildings left ?

I don't think there is a difference in buildings kept between the mongol annex and actually capturing the city, but I rarely play the mongols and even more rarely actually use their UA, so I could be wrong.

I don't think there is a difference in buildings kept between the mongol annex and actually capturing the city, but I rarely play the mongols and even more rarely actually use their UA, so I could be wrong.

Ok but if there is no difference, it should.

I think annexing a city state as Mongolia is the same as trading a city, or MoVing a city state as Venice: no population loss and only "never capture"-buildings are lost.

I would like to see Mongolia have the bonus vs city-states and the option of liberating city-states as an ally when they are conquered.

Just a quick question before you continue this:

Is Mongolia actually broken/weak/unplayable/crap and need major changes, or are you just inventing solutions for a problem that doesn't exist?

Is Mongolia actually broken/weak/unplayable/crap and need major changes, or are you just inventing solutions for a problem that doesn't exist?

I think this kind of argument is kind of bad. Things don't have to be broken or trash to be improved, just because Mongolia as a whole isn't unplayble doesn't mean it can't change for the better.

I think this kind of argument is kind of bad. Things don't have to be broken or trash to be improved, just because Mongolia as a whole isn't unplayble doesn't mean it can't change for the better.

Sure, but these aren't changes suggested, these are buffs and senseless buffing only creates powercreep. That's why I'm asking if people actually believe Mongolia needs a buff.

So...I think Mongolia has two insane UAs, and a great UU. The UB isn't bad either. Being able to "kill" city states by just putting a few guys near them is absolutely nuts if there are diplomatic oriented civs in the game because you just outright hard-counter them. And if they ever so slightly annoy you, unleashing your army of 6 mobility skirmishers will destroy anyone in your path generally.

The only better civ than this currently is Poland, and that's by the smallest of margins.

Are CSs that good that one would want to conquer them instead of Allying them?

Depends on far too many factors to just give you a straight yes or no. There's absolutely cases where you want to conquer them and there's cases where you're far better off allying them (f.e. city states around snow are 9 out of 10 games complete garbage).

Mongol's UA is great, works well with the new changes to CS bullying. I have some ideas for the Khans though. the first 2-3 Khans are really useful to help resupply the army, etc. but especially with their speed you don't need too many great generals to help with the army, and they just create normal citadels, which I don't find that useful to Mongolia anyway. I was thinking it could be interesting to create a special GP improvement, much like the MoV gets with the Colonia. It could be called the Ortoo, based on the vast supply route network built by Ghengis Khan across the Mongol empire.

I was thinking you could remove the land grab part of the citadel and replace it with either a reverse feitoria effect (adding gold to internal trade routes to the nearest city to represent silk road merchants using the checkpoints), or an effect like hospitals in cities where the unit stationed there heals regardless of whether it made a move, allowing for a quick heal if one of your skirmishers gets hit. The reverse feitoria effect really helps for mongolia considering that if you're eating city states and warring with other civs, you probably won't be able to keep many international trade routes going

IMO MoV isn't comparable to other UUs, they need to be overtuned to make up for the inherent weakness of Venice's UA. Khans are already pretty vastly superior to their counterpart. The problem of generating too many GGs and them not being very useful after the first couple is shared with all warmongers, it's not really a specific Mongolia issue.

not arguing that khans need a buff, just an idea to make them more unique and get an improvement that encourages a playstyle that fits well with what the mongols should be doing. (aggression and conquest, not defense). hopefully the ideas aren't too OP or anything.

not arguing that khans need a buff, just an idea to make them more unique and get an improvement that encourages a playstyle that fits well with what the mongols should be doing. (aggression and conquest, not defense). hopefully the ideas aren't too OP or anything.
This I can actually get behind. Tuning down their combat abilities and giving them an improved Citadel.

Top Bottom