Taking Video/Help Requests (BNW)

I posted a thread awhile back on immortal/deity benchmarks with a save game as pacal, i really want to eventually win on both difficulties but i'm finding the transition quite tough from emperor. Was wondering if you could have a look at the saves at this thread. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=552075

with this map i wasn't sure if i should go tradition or liberty or just go all out war.
Spoiler :
germany is close nearby so thats why war might be a good idea

You can do either, there's certainly no need to go to war unless you wish to. For right now I'll go your 3 city Tradition approach to help you focus on the "fundamentals." If you'd like to see something else let me know.

Added videos (Incans vs Assyria early game, Immortal) stemming from this thread.

You can do either, there's certainly no need to go to war unless you wish to. For right now I'll go your 3 city Tradition approach to help you focus on the "fundamentals." If you'd like to see something else let me know.

Added videos (Incans vs Assyria early game, Immortal) stemming from this thread.

3 city tradition would be nice, good idea to focus on the fundamentals!. Thank!

So. I did a beeline to Petra on one city that put me behind on science to a fair degree -- start position is lacking many bonus yields and that tripped me up. Wound up not really catching up on tech until Industrialish (which meant I missed quite a few cultural wonders I was hoping for, but not the end of the world). After picking Freedom (first to Ideology) half the world declared war on me a few turns later (literally half -- 4 simultaneous declarations of war...guys, I know I only have a crossbowman and a warrior, but my capital alone can produce a Rifleman every 1-2 turns...).

I had planned on sticking to 3 cities and doing a Cultural Victory...but that rather annoyed me. It's currently turn 314 and I now own 85%ish of the map -- could finish Domination sweep in <15 turns but I'm basically facerolling what little opposition remains. I'm honestly not really eager to finish as the outcome isn't in doubt and the turns take a while with all the units...but I can finish the game if you really want. I did record everything up to where I am, though, and will post that.

I think I'm going to do a new game that's a wonderless (literally zero world wonders) 3 city science victory (same map) and record that as well so it's ACTUALLY focusing on the fundamentals and not me going "PETRA SHINY." Being able to build the end-game wonders in 5 turns flat (>250 production per turn) is pretty hilarious, though.

Im always wondering about the national college timing. with OCC when should it be built? I know with 3 cities anytime between t85 -95 is good. and obviously i can imagine petra will delay that quite a bit.

Why place the academy on the plains hill? I usually place academies on food positive tiles (sometimes wheat if i see it sometimes just a +1 food tile)

I was wondering about city placement in this map, and reloaded quite a few times (due to no small part of perfectionism). I remember settling 1E of where the deer was on the river north of the capital. I wanted to avoid the tundra. What was the reasons for settling that city up north? (habit from civ iv, tundra was garbage in that game)

Again many thanks for playing this map and posting these videos, very helpful stuff. It is taking me a bit of time to get through them 2hrs for each video is quite alot of time.

with OCC when should it be built?

Depends on your goals. If you're trying for a CV and can snag another good wonder or two by delaying NC it'd be worth it...but as a SV you'd want it up ASAP.

Why place the academy on the plains hill? I usually place academies on food positive tiles (sometimes wheat if i see it sometimes just a +1 food tile)

I already had next to no non-freshwater food tiles, so placing an academy on grassland would mean giving up a +2 food farm while on a hill means giving up a +1 production mine. And I needed production. If I had less fresh water tiles I would have placed it differently.

I was wondering about city placement in this map, and reloaded quite a few times (due to no small part of perfectionism). I remember settling 1E of where the deer was on the river north of the capital. I wanted to avoid the tundra. What was the reasons for settling that city up north? (habit from civ iv, tundra was garbage in that game)

Plain tundra is bad. Tundra Hills are regular hills, Tundra Deer is basically grassland, and Tundra Forest as a normal Lumber Mill. If I settled any further south I'd also be taking up capital tiles if I tried to work everything (and lose the coastal access).

Again many thanks for playing this map and posting these videos, very helpful stuff. It is taking me a bit of time to get through them 2hrs for each video is quite alot of time.

Indeed, and that's without any animations too!

@LordBalkoth: I've got a great map (only king level) with a ton of salt. I will attach the save.

I am playing as Shaka.

I honestly don't care how you play it. I don't know if this is ideal for domination, or to play defense and go for science. I went the latter (which sounds stupid as I was SHAKA after all). And I am going to play again (and a lot differently).

If you were playing as Shaka at this easy level (at least to you) and this much salt, how would you play it?

View attachment AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

Spoiler :
Move warrior directly south to reveal more salt in first turn

ANOTHER SPOILER: I moved my settler two or three turns for this:

On the Maya game i gave it another shot but and i managed to follow the vids and get HG and Petra up, but the AI settled on top of the locations you settled (the river mountain sheep city, settled by Shoshone and the iron horses tundra city settled by Germany by t97) Any advice on how to deal with this? I feel that giving them embassies might be the problem.

I apologize for the absence -- things in RL got a bit crazy and when they calmed down I had a bunch of friends trying to get me to play other games. Consider this thread "open" again for requests (I suspect Docbud's and i_imperator's posts are no longer relevant).

Top Bottom