Dec 2014 Unit of the Month Competition

Which of these is the best unit of December, 2014?

• Tirolese Bull by Vuldacon

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Incinerator by LMR

Votes: 17 58.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balthasar

Wise Man
Hello again gang. Did'ya miss me? I moved into a new apartment on Thanksgiving, and when I got to the new place I discovered that the button that turns on my old Laptop (a Compaq Presario) had broken. So while I was still moving, I took it to a computer shop to see what they could do. The shop was staffed with suspiciously young folks who looked at my computer, then looked at me as if I'd brought them an antique radio to fix. So I went to another shop, and another and got the same baleful looks at each one. I even engaged the Geek Squad, and they treated it like radioactive waste. So I finally and reluctantly decided it was time for a new computer. And the situation of being without one was becoming urgent: my brother's girlfriend was becoming distraught because I prefer to watch actual news rather than fluffy celebrity interviews on TV in the afternoon. She actually growled at me. Finally, I lugged myself over to Best Buy, and the salesman (too young to grow facial hair) set me up with a low cost desktop that has about twice the memory and RAM of my old machine. Since then, I've been getting it all set up, and find myself pitted against its Windows 8.1 operating system - my Gimp program is not allowed to modify files from the Civ Complete folder, for instance. That's insane.

So anyway, I'm up and running now, finally, and so on with the show! First, my thanks to LMR for running the November UotM contest in my absence, and congratulations to him for prevailing against an impressive unit by Balam-Agab. This month's contest is another exciting head-to-head matchup. Our nominees are:

Vuldacon - Tirolese Bull

LMR - Incinerator

Good luck to you both!

P.S. Surprise! We have a PCX of the Month contest for December too!

Both good units. The flames on the incinerator are impressive, and the bull makes me almost want to buy a pasture and a real Tirolese bull. I can see why the results are so close.

As for the Gimp issue, that can probably be solved by re-installing Civ3 to somewhere outside of C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). If it's already installed somewhere else, it may be more difficult to solve. And a Compaq Presario isn't necessarily ancient - I found a review for a new one from 2010, which by Civ terms would make it as new as Civ5. Apparently those shops aren't used to real relics!

Hello again gang. Did'ya miss me? I moved into a new apartment on Thanksgiving, and when I got to the new place I discovered that the button that turns on my old Laptop (a Compaq Presario) had broken. So while I was still moving, I took it to a computer shop to see what they could do. The shop was staffed with suspiciously young folks who looked at my computer, then looked at me as if I'd brought them an antique radio to fix. So I went to another shop, and another and got the same baleful looks at each one. I even engaged the Geek Squad, and they treated it like radioactive waste. So I finally and reluctantly decided it was time for a new computer. And the situation of being without one was becoming urgent: my brother's girlfriend was becoming distraught because I prefer to watch actual news rather than fluffy celebrity interviews on TV in the afternoon. She actually growled at me. Finally, I lugged myself over to Best Buy, and the salesman (too young to grow facial hair) set me up with a low cost desktop that has about twice the memory and RAM of my old machine. Since then, I've been getting it all set up, and find myself pitted against its Windows 8.1 operating system - my Gimp program is not allowed to modify files from the Civ Complete folder, for instance. That's insane.

So anyway, I'm up and running now, finally, and so on with the show! First, my thanks to LMR for running the November UotM contest in my absence, and congratulations to him for prevailing against an impressive unit by Balam-Agab. This month's contest is another exciting head-to-head matchup. Our nominees are:

Vuldacon - Tirolese Bull

LMR - Incinerator

Good luck to you both!

P.S. Surprise! We have a PCX of the Month contest for December too!

Good to see you back, Balthasar. I can sympathize with your overly young computer salesmen and repair people. I would hate to think of what would happen if I told them that the first computer I worked on was an IBM 1401 using punch cards.

Not an easy choice, but I am partial to animals, so the bull gets it. Very nice work though for LMR. Not an easy choice at all, same for the PCX contest. Still thinking about that one.

As for the Gimp issue, that can probably be solved by re-installing Civ3 to somewhere outside of C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). If it's already installed somewhere else, it may be more difficult to solve.

So, it was installed to C:\Program Files (x86). I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it to a folder on my desktop. Worked fine, and I was able to change a file with Gimp. But then, when I went to use the editor, I discovered that none of my editing changes were showing up. After a while I realized that the editor was 'reading' the (uninstalled) copy from the program file rather than the new one. How it could read a file that doesn't exist, I don't know. At least now I can play and modify my Old West mod. Hurrah! Life has its little victories. Thanks, Quintillis.

Apparently those shops aren't used to real relics!

Like CivIII, no doubt. Hey, there might be a silver lining to all of this: since Fireaxis has shown no interest in providing support for CivIII on these new platforms, eventually it won't be compatible with any of them, and we might finally be able to squeeze the source code out of them. A guy can dream.

Not sure if I should post it here, but will there be unit of the year competitions for 2014?

Top Bottom