Unable to build courthouse after occuping city.

civ_noob

Chieftain
In Civ 5 vanilla I have occupied a city and I have Mathematics, but the courthouse is not a option in the list of buildings for that city. Am I missing something?

You might have to wait until the city stops resisting you before you can build it. I usually just annex after I have 600 gold and buy it outright.

In Civ 5 vanilla I have occupied a city and I have Mathematics, but the courthouse is not a option in the list of buildings for that city. Am I missing something?

You might have to wait until the city stops resisting you before you can build it. I usually just annex after I have 600 gold and buy it outright.

That is correct, but in Vanilla (and G&K) unless it's a former capital (or similar production potential) its probably not worth annexing. Each city you annex increases your cultural acquisition cost by 15% in these two versions which is difficult to make up. In addition annexing also causes you to need yet another full set of buildings for all remaining national wonders. (By contrast, in BNW where the cultural acquisition city cost is only 10% and the new science acquisition cost of 5% applies to all cities including puppets, annexing after it comes out of resistance is much more popular, but you still want to choose your timing wisely to ensure you won't slow down natural wonder construction.

That is correct, but in Vanilla (and G&K) unless it's a former capital (or similar production potential) its probably not worth annexing. Each city you annex increases your cultural acquisition cost by 15% in these two versions which is difficult to make up. In addition annexing also causes you to need yet another full set of buildings for all remaining national wonders. (By contrast, in BNW where the cultural acquisition city cost is only 10% and the new science acquisition cost of 5% applies to all cities including puppets, annexing after it comes out of resistance is much more popular, but you still want to choose your timing wisely to ensure you won't slow down natural wonder construction.

Even after waiting for things to settle down I still don't see Courthouse in the list of buildings I can select. I am able to select other buildings such as Colosseum or even University. Are there any mods that disable/remove Courthouse but don't tell you? Does it make a difference if I have already built Forbidden Palace?

I understand your point about annexing vs. puppet, but not having the option is a bit frustrating.

Forbidden Palace isn't relevant, although if you have Forbidden Palace then you have the prerequisite tech for a courthouse.

Are you deep enough in the game that you have adopted an Ideology? If so, did you pick Order and then take the Iron Curtain tenet? If so, and if you annexed the city immediately on conquest (i.e., did not puppet and later annex), then you got a free courthouse. Do you have a free courthouse already?

Forbidden Palace isn't relevant, although if you have Forbidden Palace then you have the prerequisite tech for a courthouse.

Are you deep enough in the game that you have adopted an Ideology? If so, did you pick Order and then take the Iron Curtain tenet? If so, and if you annexed the city immediately on conquest (i.e., did not puppet and later annex), then you got a free courthouse. Do you have a free courthouse already?

I don't have Ideology -- I'm still in the Industrial era.

Always check the in-city stats, to see what is built, and what ISN'T; then you decide what to do with that city, to build or not ...

I did annex right away and I don't see a courthouse.

Attachments

• Civ5_Vanilla_unable_to_build_Courthouse.jpg
    Civ5_Vanilla_unable_to_build_Courthouse.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 231
Check if your mods changed the courthouse building to a different name, or changed its location on the tech tree, or removed it entirely.

What is that "Mentors Hall" that is available to build? Is it a courthouse by another name?

Possibly some interference from mods? You seem to have a lot of mods installed, could any of them mess things up somehow? Were you able to build Courthouse in any of your other cities?

Iron curtain doesn't trigger if you puppet first the city ? You need to immediately annex the city to have a free courthouse ?

Yes, if you have Iron Curtain and choose puppet, your free courthouse is deleted.

When you conquer a city, go to View City before choosing Annex/Puppet/Raze -- if you have Iron Curtain, you will see your free courthouse. If you select Annex or Raze, it remains. If you select puppet, the courthouse is deleted. You can build or buy a new courthouse when you later decide to annex the city, but it will not be free.

Possibly some interference from mods? You seem to have a lot of mods installed, could any of them mess things up somehow? Were you able to build Courthouse in any of your other cities?

Your response got me to doing some troubleshooting.

First I tried disabling different mods, starting a quick game to see if that made a difference. No success.

Second, I un-installed Civ 5 and cleared out my local cache in Steam then re-downloading and re-installing. Again, no success.

Third, I tried clearing out all of my mods from the MODS folder and re-downloading from Steam Workshop (%UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS). Still no success.

Finally, I deleted the contents of ModUserData (%UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData) and cache\*.db (%UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData\cache\*.db). This seemed to have fixed the problem as I could now build courthouses after annexing a city. I noticed that navigating in the Mods menu and loading moded games was noticably faster (slow ,but tolerable).

I'm guessing that there was some corruption in "Civ5ModsDatabase.db". My theory is that because I had Civ 5 since it first came out and experimented with various mods a series of upgrades to the game and the mods broke something.

Thanks for your suggestion.

So now my problem is getting back some of the functionality that I had in the in the older mods: (1) trade screen that showed all tradeable resources and other civs, and (2) economics screen that showed all cities and their contributions (resources, gold, happiness) and current project. I thought this was InfoAddict, but I have that installed and enabled.

Top Bottom