BUFFY & HOF Mod Releases

The section you referred to in section 2 is instructing you to create a second user profile with administrator rights.

Click the control panel.
Click "add or remove user accounts" link.
(Alternatively, hit the windows flag on your keyboard.
Then click on the image Icon for your user login.
Click on the "manage another account" link.)

Then Click on the "create a new account" link.
Name the new account.
Click administrator.
Click the Create Account button.

Doing this part of step 2 will basically make step 4 irrelavent.

Not to undermine Shulec's brilliance, but Step 1 & 2 should only be needed really, and step 2 is not about setting up another account, which is unnecessary.

Not sure about Windows 8, which I understand is just as much of an abortion as Vista was. I hope to just bypass it entirely in my lifetime.

Do step 1 and step 2. However, when you install anything (Civ and Mods) you should right click on executables and choose "run as administrator".

Changing folder permissions in Step 1 is important, so make sure you follow those directions precisely. Then change the properties on your BTS executable(Step 2) such that 'run as administrator" always pops up and you should be good to go.

If that does not work, we need more info about your OS.

(WindowsXP mode is unnecessary)

Yeah, steps 3 and 4 were from the early days of Vista (before the first SP). I should probably take them off but I am always afraid we might need them again.

Thank you guys so much!

Wasn't expecting so many responses and really appreciate it. Just as I was getting home from work to try them out the internet went down so I didn't get a chance to do anything yet but didn't want to leave it another day without saying thank you!

I think I've made some progress but still not there yet. I think the assets checker would figure the rest of it out except it can't find my game and seems set to look in a certain location - is there a way to tell it where to look?

I do have Steam which seems to be complicating things but I think (hope!) I have most of that sorted. Besides this thread I also found another one with a lot of good info in the Succession GOTM Folder.

Really love this board! I don't think I've ever been anywhere else with so many people willing to help random strangers. :)

Ok, so it's been a while since I played Civ. I have Civ IV Complete. Installed, downloaded all the required patches. Downloaded Buffy (the latest) for BTS and HOF for Vanilla and Warlords. Downloaded the Map Finder (still trying to figure that out - haven't really looked much) and the asset checker.

My goal is to play Games of the Month, and perhaps submit HOF games.

My problem is that when I ran the asset checker, here is what popped up:

Vanilla Files - Path: C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* * * Vanilla: No Errors were found * * *

Warlords Files - Path: C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Warlords
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* * * Warlords: No Errors were found * * *

BTS Files - Path: C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword
BTS: Shaders\FX\Civ4Bloom.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Civ4FlagDecal.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Civ4LeaderheadShader.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Civ4Mech.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Civ4SkinningTeamColor.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Civ4TorusFur.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Civ4Wave.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\ComputeCiv4Lighting.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\ContourShader.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\CultureBorderShader.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Decal.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\PeakHill.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\PerPixelLighting.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\PlotIndicator.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\River.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Route.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Symbols.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Terrain_SplatTile.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\TreeShader.fx,<-- Error: Not Found
BTS: Shaders\FX\Water.fx,<-- Error: Not Found

* * * BTS: 20 Errors have been found * * *

* * * 20 Errors have been found * * *

------------------

Some of them I have found in the 'shaders' folder' either in Civ Complete or BTS. Dunno what happened to the rest.

C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Shaders\FXO

and here:

C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Shaders\FXO

Right now I guess I will try a reinstall. Have only played a few games. No biggie. Finally got myself to Noble and won a couple. Still need to practice tho. Was hoping to play the BOTM, but with asset errors, I figure I will not qualify for a score.

I guess I will be back in a bit if the reinstall doesn't work.

-Ghostwind

Reinstalled. Asset Checker says all is good. Waste of a post.

Hey guys. Returning to civ after a long hiatus. Installed on Windows 8 using steam this time, which I think is causing my trouble. Anyhow, I installed vanilla, warlords, and bts, made sure bts was patched to 3.19, and then downloaded buffy. Buffy runs just fine for me, but I am getting the warning that submitted games won't be accepted.

I have set bts, warlords, and vanilla to run as admin, and have also un-checked read only and given users permissions in every conceivable folder. It looks like I have multiple file paths and I'm not sure how they interact. c > program files (x86) > firaxis games and c >program files (x86) > steam > steamapps > common both have relevant files and maybe are interfering with each other? Either way, I've done all I know how. What am I missing?

The STEAM version is not compatible with games created in BUFFY because of an update.

Please see this post and this announcement. They will explain how to revert your STEAM version to one that will work with GoTM.

Hope that is your problem and this fix will work for you.

edit - for more background, please see this post as well.

Thanks for the links leif. I switched to the beta and let it update, but now when I start up bts it tells me that I have an invalid voice capture device (huh?) and when I load buffy it says that the buffy folder is invalid and is being ignored. Guess a full reinstall and conversion to the betas is the next step?

Well, this is frustrating. I uninstalled and then did the following:

-installed vanilla, opted for beta version w/ gamespy
-installed hof mod for vanilla
-installed warlords, opted for beta version w/ gamespy
-installed hof mod for warlords
-installed btw, opted for beta version w/ gamespy
-installed buffy
-double checked permissions, run as admin, etc.

Still getting an unusable voice capture device message and error message saying buffy is invalid and will be ignored.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

I'm confused. When I installed from STEAM, it was done in one action. As it would install via Civ4Complete from disk, not each version one at a time. Wonder if there is any difference? :hmm:

Originally (when I purchased it) it attempted to install the complete version, but an error message saying that I had an incorrect platform or something to that effect appeared. Now they are in my library as four separate games.

:yup: Mine are listed separately too, even though they installed as one. :crazyeye:

Well, that isn't helping you.

Did you check your permissions for STEAM? Make sure it runs from an Administrator account. On Win8, I cannot seem to make that automatic, so when I start a game I right click on the bts icon and select "Run as Administrator".

Set steam to run as an admin. BTS is already set to do so. No go. Still saying buffy is an invalid mod directory or some such.

I have set bts, warlords, and vanilla to run as admin, and have also un-checked read only and given users permissions in every conceivable folder. It looks like I have multiple file paths and I'm not sure how they interact. c > program files (x86) > firaxis games and c >program files (x86) > steam > steamapps > common both have relevant files and maybe are interfering with each other? Either way, I've done all I know how. What am I missing?
Just reread this and recalled that someone had installed both the disk and STEAM versions and had similar problems. Try just the STEAM install, uninstall the disk version and then see if it works. :please:

As I recall, they do interfere with each other.

I actually deleted the firaxis games folder and set buffy to install directly to steam apps > common > civ iv bts > bts > mods for that reason. Perhaps that is part of the problem? If I uninstall and reinstall, however, it just tries to make the firaxis games path all over again. Am I just supposed to download buffy into that path?

edit: this post confirmed my suspicion that the firaxis games folder that buffy tries to download to by default is incorrect for me.

I tried a few more things just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Here's an update, though I'm not sure it will actually clarify anything:

I once again uninstalled civ iv/warlords/bts and deleted the remaining folders left behind by the hof mods and buffy. I reinstalled only bts and opted for the steam beta version. I confirmed that it was indeed patched to 3.19. I then downloaded buffy and made sure it went to (x86) > steam > steamapps > common > civ iv bts > bts > mods. The buffy folder has read only unchecked and permissions granted to all users. BtS is set to run as an admin.

When I open steam's beta version I receive an error message about an invalid device/unusable voice capture at the main menu. Not sure if that's relevant, but it only gives me that message when I run the steam beta version. When I go to "Load a Mod" and select buffy I do not get the error message saying that submitted games will not be accepted as the game restarts, but rather an error message which says bts/mods/buffy is an invalid directory and will be ignored. Then it loads without the mod.

When I open the "normal" steam version by opting out of the beta I can load the mod and I am no longer receiving an error message of any kind as the game reloads with the mod. . . then I get in a game, where I see the red "HOF warning". I look at the game settings and it says that the assets are different from a standard install. The mod appears to be working by looking at the interface.

Truly perplexing.

edit: managed to get rid of the annoying voice capture error message with a google search of the issue and editing the civilizationiv.ini file in the mydocuments > my games > sm's civ iv file path that I didn't realize existed. Also copied buffy to the mods folder in that pathway for kicks. Still didn't work.

edit again: another update that might clarify the problem for those of you savvy about these things. I (once again) uninstalled the game and deleted all associated folders before reinstalling. I did not install buffy this time, but just tried to load one of the included mods and received the same error message. So I guess the tl;dr of all my posts today is the steam beta version required for HoF/GotM submissions to work will not allow me to run any mods while the default steam install will allow me to run mods, but they are not eligble for HoF/GotM. Hopefully that's as clear as mud and someone knows a fix.

Hmm... so I feel dumb. The fix was dead simple, and right in front of my nose in this very forum. Here's a link in case anyone else runs into this.

Top Bottom