Weirdest/most bizarre old computer games?

Kyriakos

Creator
(originally wrote this for another thread, but i think it can serve specifically for weird games :D ).

AmstradCPC6128 was considerably more "advanced" than Atari (simply because nothing was less advanced than Atari :D ) but it had very few cool games.

Pirates was one of them (the Microprose one). Amstrad (and other 8-bit computers) mostly had platform games, though, like the Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy series, or Solomon's Key.

Knight Lore was a rare exception, a pseudo 3d puzzle game:

Even more bizarre was the platform/adventure Spellbound:

I dont know if its weird, but I had a game on the NES about a boy with a ghost that changed to different things depending on what you fed it.

I thought computer games were banned in Greece ?
My favorite old game is Civilization on the Amiga

Drakkhen was really bizarre in its time. And it has some of the most bizarre moments in gaming history:

Link to video.

(originally wrote this for another thread, but i think it can serve specifically for weird games :D ).

AmstradCPC6128 was considerably more "advanced" than Atari (simply because nothing was less advanced than Atari :D ) but it had very few cool games.

Pirates was one of them (the Microprose one). Amstrad (and other 8-bit computers) mostly had platform games, though, like the Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy series, or Solomon's Key.

Knight Lore was a rare exception, a pseudo 3d puzzle game:

I completely forgot that game - I used to have an Amstrad as a kid and did indeed have this game; my main games on it that I recall were the original Bard's Tale, Sorcery+, assorted text role-playing games like Hitchhiker's Guide and Discworld, Gauntlet II, and a computer adaptation of HeroQuest.

I can't remember which of the 2 games it was, but the weirdest game I ever played on the PC was Manhunter.

Link to video.

I don't think it was this one.. as it doesn't look familiar.. but it isn't Manhunter: New York either. And wikipedia doesn't say anything about any other sequels..

edit: Parts do look familiar now that I've watched more of the video - I think it was this game - Manhunter 2: San Francisco.

So I have no idea what I was playing, but it was basically.. very confusing for me. There were random puzzles, and a weird backdrop for a game, and half the time I had no idea what the hell was going on.. That and the puzzles weren't very easy.

I've owned computers of many kinds for decades. The most bizarre game I ever played (and enjoyed) was Extase. Not only did it feature Bulgarian throat singing (which is highly unusual in of itself), but it features a female android's neural pathways. You send electronic impluses and attempt to complete the circuitry in order to bring her brain to awareness. Watch this youtube video.

I wonder if it ever got ported to the PC? I'd love to play it again. It's really largely a logic puzzle game in which the player memorizes the various logic circuits and the direction the impulse travels based upon the way it's triggered and preset.

Link to video.

A real freaky game chock full of every conspiracy theory you've ever read about including the Templars, Kaballah, The Old Man in the Mountain (hassish smoking assassins), Roswell, etc is The Drowned God. I never finished it, and wish I kept it.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.
Lemmings 1991 was a very strange and popular puzzle game. It featured the urban myth that lemmings are suicidal, and the player was to use various tools to redirect them to save them and then enter the next level.

The only quasi-suicidal behaviour that I know of is the beaching of whales, which might be partially due to trying to coax a solitary whale coupled with the US Navy's use of Very Low Frequency sonar.

Top Bottom